December 18, 2014, 10:29:59 AM

Author Topic: "Holy cow. Time to throw my 7D in the bin."  (Read 10003 times)

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
"Holy cow. Time to throw my 7D in the bin."
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »
http://vimeo.com/30578363

While I don't necessarily agree with the producer of that video, (and I think he was being somewhat facetious) -this is the future. I share this link in response to that guy berating "iTards" or the many comments here about unwanted/unneeded features such as GPS and WIFI in the next batch of DSLRs.

The point is- if Apple can include these features in a tiny little phone that sells for $169 under contract- then Canon better start placing them in larger, multi-thousand dollar cameras.

Yes, there will always be a need for pro gear with interchangeable lens. But, you top-end guys need the great unwashed masses to subsidize your toys. Canon, Nikon, et al, need their point and shoot markets to fund R&D. Joe Hobbyist (and I just got off a cruise ship loaded with 7Ds and 5D2s) wants his toy to do everything an iPhone can and more. At that price point there's no excuse for less.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

"Holy cow. Time to throw my 7D in the bin."
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »

htjunkie

Re: "Holy cow. Time to throw my 7D in the bin."
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 04:41:20 PM »
Wow. That is quite amazing from a phone. Makes me hopeful for the future.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 04:58:19 PM »
"Siri-MarkIV, set aperture to 2.8, set shutter speed to 1/1000, set ISO to 800, take picture...NOW.  Tag with location and keywords Serengeti, cheetah, and gazelle, upload to NatGeo.com, and transfer royalties to BofA account."

Great possibilities, can't wait...  ;D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bwhitz

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
Yea, this is kind of a dumb statement. I don't think he realizes why people use 7D/5D's for video. It's not that the "quality" is that outstanding... it's because it allows you access to the coveted 35mm cinema look. The iphone video could even be 4k, but it doesn't matter if it's still got that tiny chip on it. Tiny chips will always have that flat small-sensor look.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »
Ok. It was good for a phone, but not good in it's own right.  I'm not sure why he's so impressed with the colors, it looks washed out to me, lacking in contrast and saturation.

If his 7D puts out worse footage than this he seriously needs to take it in for service, because it must be broken.

seakuders

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »
quick question - i read that the aperture on the iphone camera lens is f/2.4... is that variable at all, or is it ALWAYS 2.4?

do phones have variable aperture?

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 05:36:44 PM »
I think that some of you have missed the point- that this is a phone- that has climbed an impressive way up the food chain and is now poised to start eating the "serious" camera manufacturers lunch, granted at the present time at the bottom to mid range of the market.

And, two of you "smite" me for pointing out the obvious? Really...?

Geez. Tough crowd.  ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 05:36:44 PM »

Kamera Obscura

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 05:45:42 PM »
I am sorry. That just a phone and This is a Canon 7D camera. Two totally different products.

Looking at the footage, it didn't impress at all. Well not bad for phone, but not even remotely close to 7D.

Sorry,
dario.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
Can I mount a Tokina 11-16 or an EF 1200mm to my iToy?
no.
pass.

It may be impressive compared to other phones, even to some P&Ses, but it's not impressive in absolute terms.

*owner of a phone that is actually a phone, and a camera that is actually a camera*
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

rocketdesigner

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 07:09:41 PM »
I think that some of you have missed the point- that this is a phone- that has climbed an impressive way up the food chain and is now poised to start eating the "serious" camera manufacturers lunch, granted at the present time at the bottom to mid range of the market.

And, two of you "smite" me for pointing out the obvious? Really...?

Geez. Tough crowd.  ???

Dont take it personally ... some are quick to smite based on philosophical differences alone.

But, it is a fairly absurd claim - taken in the literal context - that the iphone will replace a pro video camera.

That said, I don't think any can really argue with your basic, overall premise .... re: the improvement of phone camera technology.

wellfedCanuck

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
What I was trying to say was that the "just a phone" has managed to do many things very well. Someone has found a way to engineer an impressive piece of technology at a very low price. If the producer of a sub-$200 (okay, $600 if bought outside of contract) phone can shoehorn HD video, GPS, WIFI and many, many other features into the device- then why shouldn't we expect much, much more out of a 5D3?

Yes, the DSLR takes superior photos and shoots better video than the iPhone. For now. And, at an astronomically higher price. Yeah, I know that we're all fanboys here, wanting only the elitist product. But how many of those old guys on the cruise ship I mentioned will stop buying Canon if Canon rests on its laurels, pooh-poohing non-core features and upgrading its products only every 3 or 4 years? And, if those old guys stop buying- how will that affect the unit-cost for Canon and the end price for the rest of us? Recognizing an obviously forthcoming erosion in the point-and-shoot market, how does that even affect the over-all viability of Canon Inc? Canon could be the next Nortel for all any of us know.

BTW, thanks Neuroanatomist for getting it.

djw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 07:32:49 PM »
wellfedCanuck, I am right with you! A camera is an optical AND electronic device. If you can fit in an electronic level there's plenty of room for GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, .... Why can't I use a wireless display (pc, phone or dedicated panel)?.

I think you are 100%--if a good feature can be in a P&S it should be in a dSLR. There's very little additional R&D. In fact, dSLR sales have already contributed to P&S R&D so why can't dSLRs benefit from these developments?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »
I think Canon 'gets it', too.  The new S100 (sidebar: reportedly Best Buy has some stock, and I'm still waiting on my pre-order from Amazon...) shoots HD video, has built-in GPS.  If they can fit GPS into that compact of a camera, they can find room in the larger case of a dSLR - I fully expect it to be in forthcoming bodies.  Canon, are you listening?   ::)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:27:23 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
The original 5D didn't have "live" view (that's why I didn't buy it).  Does the 5D2 have a better focusing system that the original?  Nope.  Do you want GPS or Wifi on your 1D/1Ds Series or 5D2?  Well then you need to buy an adapter.  OTOH, did the original iPods have built-in FM tuners?  No, you had to buy an add-on.  Is there a built-in Optical drive on the MacBook Air?  Nope.  Does the iPad have a built-in USB port or SD-card slot?  No, you need an adapter or, in the case of USB, you can use the included proprietary cable.  So please don't tell me that Apple devices include *every* feature or does things the best way possible for their consumers.  They, like Canon, do what's best for their bottom line.

Both companies know that by leaving out certain features, they can get us to buy add-ons and/or a newer version down the road.  And they know we'll keep coming back, because we've been doing it for years or decades.  Only until we stop buying, will they be forced to change.  Of course, if they ever built the "perfect" device, we'd never have to buy another one and then they would go out of business.  So that's why we get incremental, instead of monumental, changes.  Does that mean we have to buy each new version?  No (I certainly didn't).  We will still complain about it?  You betcha!  :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:00:30 PM by DJL329 »
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

Kamera Obscura

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 09:20:36 PM »
We all get it. I guess I don't get the header. Just because I phone can shoot a mediocre video, you want to trow your 7D in the Bin.

I took that literally, Silly me!!

Fellow Canuck,
dario.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 09:20:36 PM »