November 27, 2014, 06:30:25 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1D X Press Release - Pre Announcement Thread  (Read 30132 times)

Rukes

Re: Canon EOS 1D X Press Release
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 11:17:55 PM »
So there is a full PDF document at the end of the Nikkei press release, lists the full detailed specs and all the accessories :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 11:17:55 PM »

htjunkie

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 11:18:42 PM »
If anyone complaining about the 'wired' ethernet wants to transmit 1 RAW file every 5 seconds over 54Mbps wireless, be my guest. I'll stick with the gigabit.

Considering studios already shoot tethered via USB, maybe they just decided gigabit was more ubiquitous and easier to implement than USB 3.

True.  And every computer (mostly) has ethernet (although perhaps not gigabit) while USB 3.0 has been slow to be adopted.

People fail to understand that Gigabit Ethernet offers faster rates that what your typical hard drive can sustain. It also has the enormous advantage of being a networking protocol. You can literally broadcast your pictures to a bunch of computers connected to the same LAN (local area network), which could change the game during the Olympics...

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2011, 11:19:46 PM »
If anyone complaining about the 'wired' ethernet wants to transmit 1 RAW file every 5 seconds over 54Mbps wireless, be my guest. I'll stick with the gigabit.

Considering studios already shoot tethered via USB, maybe they just decided gigabit was more ubiquitous and easier to implement than USB 3.

True.  And every computer (mostly) has ethernet (although perhaps not gigabit) while USB 3.0 has been slow to be adopted.

Yeah, my M2N-SLI motherboard of nearly 5 years ago had twin Gigabit ports. My new 990FXA only has one, but it's still enough. It's also got a few usb3 ports I think, but nothing to plug into them.

Another thing i've thought of, expecially considering people are so concerned about privacy issues, is that wired ethernet is a *lot* more secure than wireless. Once you intercept a RAW file, you can claim you took it yourself. Wired has no such problems.

And am I reading this right? Dual Digic5 processors for the image-processing, plus a Digic4 just for the AF-System?
my 7D (i think i read somewhere, correct me if i'm wrong), has dual digic4, one for image processing, one dedicated to AF. If this 1DX has a digic4 for AF, and still needs dual digic5 (at 17x processing speed), just for image processing, methinks me smells a foveon-type...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Colorado

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2011, 11:20:57 PM »
So two questions on price:

• The press release says initial production will be 7000 units/month.  How many units per month did the 1DsMKIII sell at its release price point?  Is 7000/month of a ~$7-8K camera in line with historic sales of other flagship Canon releases?
  • If the price is in the $7000 range, doesn't that leave a massive whole between that and the 5D's price point?

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2011, 11:22:55 PM »
Congrats, CR !!! The rumored specs were spot on.

BerniesDad

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2011, 11:23:01 PM »
Ethernet is great.

Ethernet locks and can be run over long distances, both very helpful.

I can't tell you how many times the USB connection has gone down on set.  And we always have to use extensions.

That being said, I still want more megapixels.

Imagine this will be very smooth though.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2011, 11:23:07 PM »
People fail to understand that Gigabit Ethernet offers faster rates that what your typical hard drive can sustain. It also has the enormous advantage of being a networking protocol. You can literally broadcast your pictures to a bunch of computers connected to the same LAN (local area network), which could change the game during the Olympics...

Gigabit port + Battery-powered NAS in 4-disk RAID 0 = press the 'running lock' on a remote switch, walk away and get a coffee, find that 1 gem of a photo inamongst 200,000 others after a week of PP...  :D ?
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2011, 11:23:07 PM »

sjwright

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2011, 11:28:26 PM »
Gigabit Ethernet  USB 3.0802.11n
Theoretical speed1 Gigabit5 Gigabit0.3 Gigabit
Real world speed1 Gigabit??0.05 Gigabit
Installed baseEverywhereSome PCs (not Mac)Everywhere
ReliabilityProvenUnproven/DubiousUnreliable in public areas
Cable length100+ meters3-5 meters(50-100 meters of air, less with walls)
Wireless ExtensionPossibleNot possibleN/A

Gigabit Ethernet is a good decision. End of story.

djw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2011, 11:31:15 PM »
For networking, it looks like a LAN port with the option of wireless (with on-board bluetooth) and GPS adapters.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Frelease.nikkei.co.jp%2Fattach_file%2F0294330_02.pdf

I like the idea of colour-based focus tracking with iTR (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition).

adamfilip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2011, 11:31:33 PM »
no 1080 60p :(

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2011, 11:31:50 PM »
No 1080p60. Seems odd. Sure, this isn't the video geared camera, but it still seems like a low blow from Canon to hold that feature from a flagship camera. After all, it's not special or exclusive anymore.

Other than that, it sure looks like an IQ monster there. I am very excited.

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2011, 11:34:27 PM »
While most people are trying to go wireless, Canon gives us a wired network system?  Seems odd...  can you imagine a bunch of 100+ yard ethernet cables cluttering the sidelines of a football field?  Not to mention that I think it would be rather cumbersome to manipulate a camera with a giant cat6 cable sticking out the side.

Yeah that couldn't work at the sidelines... the photographers move around a fair bit.  Perhaps their intent is that a Gigabit ethernet connection gives super fast image download in the press center rather than actually shooting with the cable attached?

I think you guys all forget that pretty much all pro STUDIO work usually means the camera is wired to a laptop or computer. Just because there is a new feature doesn't mean it's geared to every single use of a camera.

Not in my Studio. Has everyone forgotten about the Canon Wireless File Transmitter?
http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/wft/wft-e2/index.html

I was hoping this function along with GPS and wireless flash firing would eventually get built into a pro camera body but I guess Canon makes too much selling them as add-on features to ever consider that. Still it would be nice to see them thinking out of the box for a change. Why is it that Japanese companies can never be like Apple and for once "skate to where the puck will be" (to quote Steve Jobs). It would have been nice if they added some futuristic technology like Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 connectivity or recognize the need for built in GPS.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

Doodah

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2011, 11:36:01 PM »
Regarding the WiFi thing, Canon will gladly sell us the WFT-E6B add-on:
http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/10/eos-gps-addon-introduced/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2011, 11:36:01 PM »

adamfilip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2011, 11:36:45 PM »
For networking, it looks like a LAN port with the option of wireless (with on-board bluetooth) and GPS adapters.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Frelease.nikkei.co.jp%2Fattach_file%2F0294330_02.pdf

I like the idea of colour-based focus tracking with iTR (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition).

I like this translation  "Operation of the shutter unit cleared the test for 40 million times." now thats what i call durable :D

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2011, 11:38:28 PM »
Gigabit Ethernet  USB 3.0802.11n
Theoretical speed1 Gigabit5 Gigabit0.3 Gigabit
Real world speed1 Gigabit??0.05 Gigabit
Installed baseEverywhereSome PCs (not Mac)Everywhere
ReliabilityProvenUnproven/DubiousUnreliable in public areas
Cable length100+ meters3-5 meters(50-100 meters of air, less with walls)
Wireless ExtensionPossibleNot possibleN/A

Gigabit Ethernet is a good decision. End of story.

Well when you put it like that... :P
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2011, 11:38:28 PM »