October 20, 2014, 07:41:25 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1D X Press Release - Pre Announcement Thread  (Read 29426 times)

rocketdesigner

Re: Canon EOS 1D X Press Release
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »
CR: "The last I heard, the price has not been finalized. It is speculated it will be in the $7000USD range".

Well, there goes the kid's college fund ....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 1D X Possible Press Release
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 10:59:12 PM »
While most people are trying to go wireless, Canon gives us a wired network system?  Seems odd...  can you imagine a bunch of 100+ yard ethernet cables cluttering the sidelines of a football field?  Not to mention that I think it would be rather cumbersome to manipulate a camera with a giant cat6 cable sticking out the side.

Yeah that couldn't work at the sidelines... the photographers move around a fair bit.  Perhaps their intent is that a Gigabit ethernet connection gives super fast image download in the press center rather than actually shooting with the cable attached?

I think you guys all forget that pretty much all pro STUDIO work usually means the camera is wired to a laptop or computer. Just because there is a new feature doesn't mean it's geared to every single use of a camera.

Ethernet technology in a wireless society just to serve studio applications still makes no sense in the broader picture. Including an ethernet port on a camera requires a sizable commitment in both on board technology and port space...I just can't see stepping backwards for this function.... :)

That's a good point also.  Adding an extra port (a fairly large one at that) and a comm protocol is strange.  As for speed, USB 3.0 is 5 times faster than Gigabit Ethernet... do I have that right?

adamfilip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 11:00:41 PM »
usb cant do very long cable lengths. like ethernet can

Zuuyi

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 11:00:58 PM »
http://release.nikkei.co.jp/detail.cfm?relID=294330&lindID=4

Here is an article to Nikkei.  Looks like this is very much official now.

It still doesn't include the full specs.  The only real question out there is Megapixels.

Edit - *18MP is in the translation; just didn't look at it.*

Here is the translated version:
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Frelease.nikkei.co.jp%2Fdetail.cfm%3FrelID%3D294330%26lindID%3D4&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:05:34 PM by Zuuyi »

rocketdesigner

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »
http://release.nikkei.co.jp/detail.cfm?relID=294330&lindID=4

The Nikkei translation:

Canon's top-end model of professional digital SLR camera "EOS-1D X" launched

Top model digital SLR camera "EOS-1D X" launched

Pursue the best performance of high sensitivity, such as ISO51200

Canon, sports and media, digital SLR cameras with a high level of performance required for professional shooting studio shot, such as "EOS-1D X", and released in late March 2012.

Traditionally, top model in Canon's digital SLR cameras, especially with better image quality "1Ds" the best performance and high-speed series "1D" was deployed in two lines of the series. New product "EOS-1D X" to unify them is the flagship model that combines the highest level of professional performance and high-quality high-speed performance.

■ outstanding image quality performance
The newly developed 35mm full size, and approximately 1,810 megapixel CMOS sensor, dual DIGIC 5 + by loading with 2 new engines with the DIGIC 5 + plus video about 17 times the processing power of DIGIC 4, ISO Emergency sensitivity up to ISO51200 ※ expanded. This results in beautiful images with reduced noise in the dark shooting indoors.

Significant performance evolution ■ AE / AF
By combining pixel RGB metering sensor and DIGIC 4 100,000, the adoption of new AE system can recognize faces and colors as well as the brightness of the subject, enabling more precise exposure control.
Also, conventional model "EOS-1D Mark IV" (released December 2009) was placed in 20-point AF sensor with an accuracy comparable to respond F4.0 F2.8 AF, and AF total number of 61 points Equipped with the new AF sensor, the accuracy of coverage and focus of the subject has been greatly improved from previous models. In addition, in cooperation with the new AE system, you can continue to focus and track the subject's face and colors.

Needs of advanced high-speed performance ■ Professional
Equipped with dual DIGIC 5 +, 12-second frames / while up to about the AE / AF accurately (at least 10 seconds ISO32000 frames / sec up to about) achieves high-speed continuous shooting. In addition, ultra-fast 14-second continuous shooting frames / up to about (mirror lockup, recording only JPEG) and also allows capture the decisive moment the professional aims.

Product Name: EOS-1D X

Price: Open price

Release Date: Late March 2012

Production volume / month 7,000

Regular use of the ISO sensitivity when shooting movie ※ The ISO100 ~ 25600.

Contact
Canon Customer Support Center
050-555-90002
EOS DIGITAL Homepage: http://canon.jp/eos-d

※ product images and information, see Related Documentation
● Links
Canon Inc. website

Canon Marketing Japan Co., Ltd. Website

katmann

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 11:02:45 PM »
Can you translate a bit of that article for us? 

I was hoping to determine price but the Google translator says "It is 7,000 / moon output".  ;)

mrian

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 11:03:21 PM »
Thanks for the link @rocketdesigner. :D

Pic of the new flagship from the link shared:
http://release.nikkei.co.jp/attach.cfm?attID=0294330_01.JPG

just one thing - the LAN port seems to be the one on the left. in that case, i'm guessing we'll be getting a new battery specially for this.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:09:33 PM by mrian »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 11:03:21 PM »

katmann

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »
Scratch that comment... the translation was posted while I was typing.  Can't wait for more info!

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 11:04:59 PM »
Awesome!
I'll be buying two to replace my 1D Mark IVs.
I certainly hope this camera lives up to the hype. Canon has been plagued by Auto Focus missteps in the past and this appears to be another "newly designed" AF system. "Newly designed" hasn't always worked out so well for Canon with the exception of the 7D, but it looks like this new system will even blow that out of the water if it works as promised. I love my 7D so I'm really looking to put this new camera to the test.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

lukaszb

Re: Canon EOS 1D X Possible Press Release
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 11:07:18 PM »
While most people are trying to go wireless, Canon gives us a wired network system?  Seems odd...  can you imagine a bunch of 100+ yard ethernet cables cluttering the sidelines of a football field?  Not to mention that I think it would be rather cumbersome to manipulate a camera with a giant cat6 cable sticking out the side.

Yeah that couldn't work at the sidelines... the photographers move around a fair bit.  Perhaps their intent is that a Gigabit ethernet connection gives super fast image download in the press center rather than actually shooting with the cable attached?

I think you guys all forget that pretty much all pro STUDIO work usually means the camera is wired to a laptop or computer. Just because there is a new feature doesn't mean it's geared to every single use of a camera.

Ethernet technology in a wireless society just to serve studio applications still makes no sense in the broader picture. Including an ethernet port on a camera requires a sizable commitment in both on board technology and port space...I just can't see stepping backwards for this function.... :)

That's a good point also.  Adding an extra port (a fairly large one at that) and a comm protocol is strange.  As for speed, USB 3.0 is 5 times faster than Gigabit Ethernet... do I have that right?

USB is 5gbit/sec which is faster, but I think having an RJ45 connector isn't a bad idea.  I think Canon will use it as a diagnostic port when you send it back for service.  You can also plug a wireless transmitter into it and have it be WiFi enabled.  The files at this resolution will be around 20MB per file.  1Gbit bandwidth is more then enough for file transfer

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »
If anyone complaining about the 'wired' ethernet wants to transmit 1 RAW file every 5 seconds over 54Mbps wireless, be my guest. I'll stick with the gigabit.

Considering studios already shoot tethered via USB, maybe they just decided gigabit was more ubiquitous and easier to implement than USB 3.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2011, 11:10:34 PM »
If anyone complaining about the 'wired' ethernet wants to transmit 1 RAW file every 5 seconds over 54Mbps wireless, be my guest. I'll stick with the gigabit.

Considering studios already shoot tethered via USB, maybe they just decided gigabit was more ubiquitous and easier to implement than USB 3.

True.  And every computer (mostly) has ethernet (although perhaps not gigabit) while USB 3.0 has been slow to be adopted.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
Well, I was certainly wrong. I never imagined they would reduce the MP count on their flagship camera.

I give Canon credit for thinking outside the box. It will be interesting to see what kind of image quality this produces at high ISO. Makes me anxious to see what they do with the 5D and the 7D in the next go round.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »

ippikiokami

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2011, 11:13:36 PM »
Awesome!
I'll be buying two to replace my 1D Mark IVs.
I certainly hope this camera lives up to the hype. Canon has been plagued by Auto Focus missteps in the past and this appears to be another "newly designed" AF system. "Newly designed" hasn't always worked out so well for Canon with the exception of the 7D, but it looks like this new system will even blow that out of the water if it works as promised. I love my 7D so I'm really looking to put this new camera to the test.

??? You had problems with the 1D IV system? I used to have a 1D III with some problems that later got fixed but with my 1D IV and 70-200L II I actually find it hard to miss.

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 11:15:21 PM »
>new professional flagship model

Well, that settles it: there will be no 1Ds.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2011, 11:15:21 PM »