November 21, 2017, 05:22:38 AM

Author Topic: what external hard drive would you recommend for storage?  (Read 9054 times)

sunnyVan

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: what external hard drive would you recommend for storage?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
What you guys are suggesting is much more extensive than I was prepared to do.  Currently I have a 2TB WD external hard drive attached to my imac.  All pictures go there only. Very dangerous I know. That's why I am moving ahead to a secondary layer of backup which is to have a second HD. I do realize the value of having an extra set of offsite HD but I think I have much bigger problems to deal with than losing my collection if something happened to my home.
24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 135L,  600EX-RT, 430EX RT, EOS M IR converted, efm 11-22, Fuji X-T2, Fujinon 35 F2, Fujinon 16 1.4, Fujinon 90 F2, Fujinon 56 1.2, Fujinon 50-140 2.8, Fujinon 100-400

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »

sengineer

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 09:47:46 PM »
Get the Synology 4 drive external NAS.  It has free software to do a lot of different things.  The backup works great.  I have a DS411j with 4-2TB drives in their Raid 5 system.  You can add larger drives at any time an it will reconfigure it.  The initialization with this amount of memory will take 2-3 days.  I have had it for 2-3 years with out any problems on backup.  I also use it as a network drive to store my copies of my photographs.  My eldest son has a newer and faster version with 4-4TB drives that works great.  My advice is go with the fastest you can afford with 4 "NAS" style drives 1, 2, 3, or 4 TB.  A good online company is Newegg.com.  We have never had problems with.  They have great service.

FTb-n

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 09:58:17 PM »
I'm using two Seagate 3 TB USB 3.0 drives (STBV3000100) and manually mirroring them so I have two sets.  In addition, I burn to BluRay discs. 
Varsity Team: 1Dx, 5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II   <<>>   JV Team: 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 40 f2.8, PowerShot G16

RustyTheGeek

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 10:05:20 PM »
OK, I'll throw in my thoughts...

I've been an IT guy for over 20 years.  I've seen a lot of hard drives of all kinds.  Mechanical hard drives these days are made by a handful of major players like Seagate, WD, Samsung and Toshiba.  Hard drives fail with no regard for anything - time, brand name or type.  Internal, external, retail, enterprise, doesn't matter.  Enterprise drives WILL last longer in most cases but it's not absolute.

When it comes to external drives, it is often the USB/Firewire/etc interface or the power supply that fails.  I have had more reliability with portable external hard drives that don't use power supplies.  They are slightly more expensive than the larger AC powered versions unless you are looking for maximum capacity and then there's no comparison because the small portable units top out at about 2TB.  The brand names aren't that big of a deal, get what works for you and don't waste a ton of money of fancy cases and names.  Buying your own cases is fine but watch the cost.  It's usually cheaper to just buy a decent external drive new, the case is almost free in most cases when compared to similar internal drives.  However, if you insist on spending more money on fancy external drives for your mac, go to Other World Computing.  They have great drives for less than some of the others.  Many mac heads love OWC.

The OP doesn't give much info on what his needs are.  Does he need max capacity?  Or is portability important?  Does he need high transfer speed?  What interface is he limited to?  Without knowing these things, it's hard to suggest something.  However, if I was just shooting in the dark, I would go with a basic Toshiba 1TB USB3 drive from Costco that also comes with a 16GB USB stick all for about $70.  Buy at least 3 and rotate them weekly and also offsite.

Another option to consider these days is SSD.  If capacity isn't an issue or the data is for in the field backups, SSDs are very fast, lightweight and extremely rugged.  Shocks, drops and magnetism can't hurt an SSD just like they can't hurt your media cards.  This is where I would likely buy a case due to the higher price of SSDs and the comparative lack of availability in prebuilt external SSDs.  The sweet spot is about 120GB which is fine for most field work but not big enough for workstation backups.

Shop on Amazon, NewEgg, etc and see how the reviews rack up on a few units.  PM me if you have questions.  Don't forget backup software.  Automatic local and online backups are a good idea.  You can do basic image backups to larger external drives using Macrium Reflect Free or pay for more features, etc.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

RustyTheGeek

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »
A couple more things.

The larger the volume, the harder it is to deal with.  Don't go over 2TB unless you just love lots of stress and pain when it comes to failed backups and hours upon hours of worrying if it will finish successfully.  Even 2TB is pretty large, even with a fast transfer rate.

Optical Media uses dyes and will only be good for a few years.  Eventually, depending on the quality of the disc and the way its stored, it will fail.  Hard to say but a hard drive, SSD or flash media will outlast optical media so keep that in mind if the data is archived to store for a long time.

sunnyVan

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »
A couple more things.

The larger the volume, the harder it is to deal with.  Don't go over 2TB unless you just love lots of stress and pain when it comes to failed backups and hours upon hours of worrying if it will finish successfully.  Even 2TB is pretty large, even with a fast transfer rate.

Optical Media uses dyes and will only be good for a few years.  Eventually, depending on the quality of the disc and the way its stored, it will fail.  Hard to say but a hard drive, SSD or flash media will outlast optical media so keep that in mind if the data is archived to store for a long time.

Good tips. Thanks for your help.  Buying a seagate 2TB tonight for $80.

Thought about burning a whole stack of dvds but I'm glad you mentioned that they don't last long. Plus it's too much work burning so many dvds.

Two 2TB HD will suffice for now. Will reevaluate later. 
24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 135L,  600EX-RT, 430EX RT, EOS M IR converted, efm 11-22, Fuji X-T2, Fujinon 35 F2, Fujinon 16 1.4, Fujinon 90 F2, Fujinon 56 1.2, Fujinon 50-140 2.8, Fujinon 100-400

Tabor Warren Photography

• EOS 80D
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • Tabor Warren Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
A couple more things.

Good tips. Thanks for your help.  Buying a seagate 2TB tonight for $80.

Thought about burning a whole stack of dvds but I'm glad you mentioned that they don't last long. Plus it's too much work burning so many dvds.

Two 2TB HD will suffice for now. Will reevaluate later.

Awesome choice.

Also, I use backblaze to constantly and continuously back up all of my computer's data. It's fairly inexpensive and just added piece of mind.

Cheers,
-Tabor
5D mk III x4 and tons of L glass
Check out our Tulsa wedding photographers homepage!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »

wayno

• EOS M5
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 11:38:19 PM »
I use 2 1.5 TB portable WD drives which I swap over intermittently to back up all my data.

I take one drive and leave it at work and swap them over regularly so no drive back up is ever too old.

I've found a free programme called SyncToy (a MS product) to be perfect to keep it all under control. And it's dead simple.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 11:42:39 PM »
I have Seagate, WD and Sony.

JustMeOregon

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 03:43:14 PM »
Put me down for the LaCie Rugged SSD USB 3.0 Thunderbolt. It's so fast that now, when I get back to camp or the motel, I don't have any excuses not to back-up the day's shots...

RustyTheGeek

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »
I use 2 1.5 TB portable WD drives which I swap over intermittently to back up all my data.

I take one drive and leave it at work and swap them over regularly so no drive back up is ever too old.

I've found a free programme called SyncToy (a MS product) to be perfect to keep it all under control. And it's dead simple.

Any system that works and the user understands is ideal.  Just make sure that you fully understand what is happening and you know how to recoverPerform a recovery to be sure the product works as it says.  (Many products don't work like they should!)  Many folks never test their recovery and find out too late it's flawed!  Ouch!

Something to remember about Sync type scenarios.  Depending on the sync schedule (frequency), the sync copy will eventually end up inheriting the changes of the master.  That's fine if intended, not so fine if unintended.  In wayno's case, he has another disconnected copy offsite that might save him if the unintended changes are caught before the swap.  Just understand that a sync copy isn't quite the same as a backup, it's a delayed redundant copy.  Sort of a like a slow mirror.  So in the case of accidental changes, deletions or viruses, it's not much good because all the mistakes are copied too.

Don't get me wrong, a sync is great if it's used correctly and is fully understood.  I do manual syncs only after I finish some work I am happy to have copies of.  (And I know there is another true backup copy to go back to later if necessary.)

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 05:00:05 PM »
I'd like to add that SuperDuper! is a favorite piece of 'ware that I use for backups and cloning. Hasn't failed me in 5 years.
5D3, M5, 11-400 of glass

RustyTheGeek

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »
I'd like to add that SuperDuper! is a favorite piece of 'ware that I use for backups and cloning. Hasn't failed me in 5 years.

+1

Super Duper is the greatest, hands down!  It really smokes most other backup software for Mac.  Easy and it just works.  I wish all backup software worked as well as SuperDuper!   :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »

gshocked

• EOS M5
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »
Hi,

This a solution that has worked well for me

http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?id=10599

The Lacie rugged series have been really reliable. The rugged feature has saved my hdd a few times now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »