August 30, 2014, 12:41:58 PM

Poll

What should be the first accessory to buy after you purchase your first DSLR kit?

Lens Filters
2 (18.2%)
Backpack other safe carrying option
2 (18.2%)
External flash
2 (18.2%)
Tripod
5 (45.5%)
External hard disk
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: January 23, 2014, 12:31:03 PM

Author Topic: First accessory after first DSLR kit  (Read 2948 times)

mukul

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
First accessory after first DSLR kit
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
What should be the first accessory to buy after you purchase your first DSLR kit?

Let me know what do you think.

Thanks for you advice and time.

canon rumors FORUM

First accessory after first DSLR kit
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: First accessory after first DSLR kit
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:08:04 PM »
It depends on what and where you shoot!

Unless you only shoot at home, I'd say a good bag is an essential first purchase - make it big enough to add gear if you plan to buy anything else, or you'll be buying more bags down the line. 

If you find yourself using the popup flash (if using an APS-C body), then get a Speedlite - the extra power but most significantly the ability to bounce flash will improve your fhasl shots substantially. 

If you'll be shooting landscapes, night scenes, or still life, a tripod is important - that's one area where you don't want to cheap out.

Many people use clear/UV filters for protecting the front element of the lens, many don't.  That's a personal decision.  The summed cost of all my UV filters would pay for another L-series lens. 

If you don't have an external drive already, get one or subscribe to an online backup service.  Hard drives fail, houses catch on fire, your images should be in at least two places - preferably in two different locations (I have external drives at home and at work). 

There's no option in your poll for 'all of the above'.  ;)  Ok, sometimes it's good to force people to choose…but you might want to add a spare battery as an option.

As for what I did, personally - When I bought my T1i, I bought a bag (Lowepro Inverse 200AW), a flash (Speedlite 430EX II), UV filters (B+W MRC) for my two 'starter' lenses (17-55/2.8 and 85/1.8 ), the BG-E5 battery grip, and an extra battery along with it.  A couple of months later, I bought a decent tripod and head (Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 with 488RC2).  Of all that stuff, the only items I still have (4.5 years later) are the two UV filters.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
It depends on what and where you shoot!

+1

It's difficult to give you an answer

Welcome to CR  :)

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
And don't forget  about software.... A program like lightroom and learning how to use it will have more impact on you images that anything else.... This is the digital era and for $100 or so you can get a "darkroom" that allows you to things that the masters could only dream about in the days of film....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Arctic Photo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »
Neuro has already (as ususal) given you a comprehensive answer. i just wanted to share what I did. Bag was my first, after that I got filters to my, at tah point two, lenses. Didn't get a proper flash until recently. Tripod I've had a couple of years, byt I very rarely use it. I'm not into landscapes but do some long exposure sometimes.

There are a million ways to spend money on photographt equipment, make sure you uwe your money right, make sure it supports the way you like to shoot or techniques you want to try out.

Good luck and have fun.

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 04:11:17 PM »
+1 on the battery and the other things mentioned.

Getting another memory card allowed me to travel without a laptop, which reduced the amount of equipment I had to bring. Keep in mind however that you cannot backup your files this way while you're out and about..

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 07:45:32 AM »
Hi,

I put down backpack. Although from experience there isn't a perfect backpack/should bag etc....
If you have a DSLR kit with a twin lens kit a medium sized shoulder bag might do the trick.
The trap with photography is the more you get interested in it, the more lenses or extra kit you will eventually get.

If you don't have a bag yet, get one that will safely fit what you have. As mentioned earlier, don't be surprised in a few years time you have a few more bags... Each have a different purpose on what your shooting...

The ultimate warning about photography is: it will bleed your money dry.
However, every photographer can always justify the next purchase.

The truth is its more "want" than "need." (We all need that super wide lens or telephoto....)
I say: If you enjoy photography get it...

Good luck!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 07:45:32 AM »

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 12:39:02 AM »
Probably depends a great deal upon what was in your "kit".  Assuming your purchase was the body, "kit" lens,
charger, battery, software, instruction book and a sturdy box, I would recommend
1.  a memory card - which almost never is included in your "kit".  You'll need it just to get started.
2.  a second battery - yours will always run short just when you need it.
3.  a bag - whichever one you get will be wrong and you'll eventually have to replace it, and replace it and so on.  So get one big enough to hold your stuff, maybe an additional lens and/or flash with a good shoulder strap.
4.  a uv filter for each lens - for protection and it's easier to replace than the lens itself.
5.  a lens cleaning kit - especially if you have children.  Make sure it includes a blower/brush.
6.  a book about your camera - since most of the instruction manuals are terrible.  Then read it.
7. a subscription to a photo magazine to help give you ideas and technique advice
8.  flowers or a box of candy for your spouse to apologize in advance for continuously sticking the camera in his/her face.

Now go take "pictures".

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 02:07:02 AM »
Probably depends a great deal upon what was in your "kit".  Assuming your purchase was the body, "kit" lens,
charger, battery, software, instruction book and a sturdy box, I would recommend
1.  a memory card - which almost never is included in your "kit".  You'll need it just to get started.
2.  a second battery - yours will always run short just when you need it.
3.  a bag - whichever one you get will be wrong and you'll eventually have to replace it, and replace it and so on.  So get one big enough to hold your stuff, maybe an additional lens and/or flash with a good shoulder strap.
4.  a uv filter for each lens - for protection and it's easier to replace than the lens itself.
5.  a lens cleaning kit - especially if you have children.  Make sure it includes a blower/brush.
6.  a book about your camera - since most of the instruction manuals are terrible.  Then read it.
7. a subscription to a photo magazine to help give you ideas and technique advice
8.  flowers or a box of candy for your spouse to apologize in advance for continuously sticking the camera in his/her face.

Now go take "pictures".

+1

eli452

• Rebel SL1
  • When you have to shoot shoot don't talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 12:03:31 PM »
Replacement for the original neck strap! Hand grip, side strap, "sniper" strap, lots of options and threads here.
I use a Camdapter Handstrap Pro and the Black Rapid RS-7 with the RRS B2-FAB-F 38mm clamp simultaneously.
7D; 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye; 100mm f/2.8L macro; TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II; 24-105 f/4L; EF-S 10-22mm; 70-300mm f/4-5.6L; 50mm f/1.4, 600EX-RT & ST-E3-RT; lots more stuff.

tolusina

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »
Tripod.
A tripod allows you to shoot in low light at low ISOs with long shutter speeds.
Your camera can see far into the distance when anchored securely, far beyond the the ability of any flash to illuminate.
When using a tripod, you are fairly well forced to slow down and really think through your composition.
A tripod can be used in a studio setting for products and models, awesome for landscapes, pretty darn good for portraits. Pretty much essential for steadying telephoto lenses.
They can be useful during weddings, certainly not for all situations.
Not so good in stadiums, anywhere there are moving crowds.
Can be useful for street photography though one often wants more mobility that you'll have with a 'pod.

If your budget is tight, look at Manfrottos with aluminum legs. Big budget, go carbon fiber, there are many good names.
Tripod head is a separate part. Your composition should not sag down as the head is locked.
Really cheap tripods are among the worst possible investments, I'm thinking $150 to $180 USD as a bottom starting point, creep or leap upwards from there as budget allows. I'm just about ready to leap to a set up I'm fairly certain will excel at every task I can imagine throwing at it and may well last a lifetime.
All else being the same, three section legs will be stiffer than four sections, four sections will fold smaller, I'm sticking with three.

About legs, look here...
https://www.google.com/#q=moose%20peterson%20tripod&safe=off
and here....
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=2636&setNs=p_PRICE_2|0&N=4075788741+4289361368&srtclk=sort

For heads, start by browsing here.......
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Tripod-Heads/ci/140/N/4075788769
then start asking around.
One strong recommendation is a head with a quick release base and a corresponding plate for your camera. Do consider an Arca-Swiss compatible QR configuration, not quite universal but it should be.
Heads and QR run from inexpensive to WOW, really?.

Filters, yes, I likes me a polarizer, keep two in my belt pack. NDs and ND grads are on my want/wish list.

Flash, eventually. Several. And remotes.

Pack comes later, when you've got a better idea what will be going into it. You'll eventually have many.

External drive, depends on your current computer's current hard drive free space and if you've got other back up options like DVD burning available. Eventually, many, preferably some off site storage as well.

Straps are good, most use them. Sometimes one of the more controversial topics here at CR, you try and  you decide.
40 on 6

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 02:23:35 PM »
As others have said, depends on the type of photo you want to do. For me, a TTL flash is paramount. Prudence tells buy cards and batteries, with twice the capacity that theoretically you will use. Tripod is very useful, but very annoying to load, so choose a small (when closed).

lion rock

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »
Some one ( Mr Haines ) mentioned software.  Good suggestion there.
Develop a good workflow and above all, have the discipline to organize your photos (LightRoom has a superb ways to categorize your photos) while your collection is relatively small and easier to categorize.
-r

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
Tripod.  A tripod can make anyone look competent.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 02:52:15 PM »
Tripod.  A tripod can make anyone look competent.

;D

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 02:52:15 PM »