September 17, 2014, 09:38:08 AM

Author Topic: The Next DSLR Will Be Entry Level [CR3]  (Read 13939 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: The Next DSLR Will Be Entry Level [CR3]
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »
in the last 2 months, CR posted so many 7DII rumours that i really dont give a S___ anymore.

- YES IT IS COMING
- NO IT IS NOT COMING
- IT WILL BE NAMED SOMETHING ELSE
- MAYBE YES, MAYBE NO
- DEFINITELY NOT COMING
- IT IS COMING
Not CR-guy's fault that his sources are sh*t.

Things are so much easier for the owners of Nikonrumors and Sonyalpharumors. :P

CR guy also rates the rumors, too. Most of that was all CR1, so you had to take them all with a grain of salt. This is a CR3, so it's the closest thing to fact we have.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »

JRPhotos

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • J&R Ogden Photography
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »
What would be an estimate for later in the year for the 7DII?

Canon does seem to like to launch things mid-year, but late in the season isn't unheard of either. I think it's equally likely that we'll see the MkII in summer as winter.
I'm trying to decide if I should buy a lens that I've wanted for a few years (used Canon 100 Macro 2.8L IS). It'll cut my camera savings back a bit but should give more more time to save up for the 7DII.

I wonder how much it'll cost.

BiscottiGelato

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2014, 12:45:37 AM »
I just want a SL1 with Wi-Fi. Any estimate on when a SL2 will be available?

Sanaraken

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2014, 02:12:34 AM »
What would be an estimate for later in the year for the 7DII?

Canon does seem to like to launch things mid-year, but late in the season isn't unheard of either. I think it's equally likely that we'll see the MkII in summer as winter.
I'm trying to decide if I should buy a lens that I've wanted for a few years (used Canon 100 Macro 2.8L IS). It'll cut my camera savings back a bit but should give more more time to save up for the 7DII.

I wonder how much it'll cost.

I would just wait a year or two for the 7DII price to go down. Just like the 5DIII. The 100L is a great lens. I got it during the holidays for $700 after rebate and cash back from Adorama.
5DIII | 24-70L f2.8 II | 70-200L f2.8 IS II | 40 f2.8 | 100L f2.8 | 600EX-RT

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2014, 05:31:39 AM »
I also like the t3/1100D. Things they could do to update it would be:

*Rubberize the grips! My main complaint with it is the slipperiness. :)
*Wifi. No-brainer.
*Touch-screen (fixed, like the SL1)
*new sensor with the video AF (same as SL1?), although I would like a lower MP count (12-15 somewhere?).
The rest they can keep.

What WOULD be interesting is if the keep the EF-Mount, or go M.
An SL1 body with M-mount?
How is that for differentiation? :)

jiphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2014, 03:21:40 PM »
I also like the t3/1100D. Things they could do to update it would be:

*Rubberize the grips! My main complaint with it is the slipperiness. :)
*Wifi. No-brainer.
*Touch-screen (fixed, like the SL1)
*new sensor with the video AF (same as SL1?), although I would like a lower MP count (12-15 somewhere?).
The rest they can keep.

What WOULD be interesting is if the keep the EF-Mount, or go M.
An SL1 body with M-mount?
How is that for differentiation? :)
I would expect Canon to add WiFi and a touchscreen to the next xxxD or xxxxD camera, and the video AF should show up as well, although doubtful about the DPAF from the 70D - that looks like something that the marketing department would consider worth a price premium.  However, the M mount is specifically designed for mirrorless, rendering a mirror and optical viewfinder physically impossible and necessitating an EVF, so I doubt that Canon will go that route.  Since they don't have an M model with a form factor similar to the Panasonic G-series, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon goes that route; however, that would not qualify as a DSLR as described by the rumor.
7D, 50 f/1.8 II, 20-35 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105 f/4L, 100-400L, 580EX II

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2014, 08:23:55 AM »
I would expect Canon to add WiFi and a touchscreen to the next xxxD or xxxxD camera, and the video AF should show up as well, although doubtful about the DPAF from the 70D - that looks like something that the marketing department would consider worth a price premium.  However, the M mount is specifically designed for mirrorless, rendering a mirror and optical viewfinder physically impossible and necessitating an EVF, so I doubt that Canon will go that route.  Since they don't have an M model with a form factor similar to the Panasonic G-series, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon goes that route; however, that would not qualify as a DSLR as described by the rumor.

Well, putting the MP count lower could pave way for DPAF on the sensor, if Canon wants to go over to only DPAF sensor systems. other variants would ofc be the 18MP without anything else (yes, that one).

Anyway, it is the flange distance/placement of mirror in between mount and sensor that is smaller, right? I guess for it to be DSLR, M is out.

And, I agree that Canon will probably do a M-Mount, EVF version of the SL1, (MSL1? SLM?). I think such a move together with 2 additional M-lenses would start the M line sales up significantly, especially since I think that combo would sell great in the US. OM-D equivalent from Canon. :) (Just PLEASE make the EVF state of the art!)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2014, 08:23:55 AM »

jiphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »

Well, putting the MP count lower could pave way for DPAF on the sensor, if Canon wants to go over to only DPAF sensor systems. other variants would ofc be the 18MP without anything else (yes, that one).

Anyway, it is the flange distance/placement of mirror in between mount and sensor that is smaller, right? I guess for it to be DSLR, M is out.

And, I agree that Canon will probably do a M-Mount, EVF version of the SL1, (MSL1? SLM?). I think such a move together with 2 additional M-lenses would start the M line sales up significantly, especially since I think that combo would sell great in the US. OM-D equivalent from Canon. :) (Just PLEASE make the EVF state of the art!)
I agree that a potential lower-MP camera could assist DPAF, but there are two issues with this idea.  First, the 70D has a 20MP sensor (obviously higher than the infamous 18MP dynasty), so that sensor could be reused in a Rebel.  Given Canon's previous behavior with their 7D sensor spreading through the APS-C lineup like a cancer, it's pretty likely they'll do the same with the 20MP chip.

Second, since Canon would be catering to the consumer crowd coming from the smartphone megapixel race, a newer camera having fewer MPs would not be a good idea.  Canon had a hard enough time justifying the G-series' sudden megapixel drop between the G10 and G11, and even the professional community had a minor hissyfit over the 1DX's 18MPs compared to the 1Ds III's 21, so I'd bet on the 20MP sensor being used to show a 2MP increase in what the uninitiated consumer believes is "image quality."  Remember Canon made a big deal over the SL1's imperceptibly improved 18MP sensor... the marketing department is strong with this one.
7D, 50 f/1.8 II, 20-35 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105 f/4L, 100-400L, 580EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »