November 28, 2014, 09:36:26 AM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern adds 1/3-1/2 stop of dynamic range - just like that.  (Read 32626 times)

John Thomas

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern adds 1/3-1/2 stop of dynamic range - just like that.
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2014, 02:57:54 AM »
The critical question:

Does ML work with the latest 5D3 firmware?

The version 1.2.3 of the firmware has enough time now in our cameras, however ML supports (AFAIS) just 1.1.3

It is so hard to fix / test it against 1.2.3?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2014, 02:57:54 AM »

flowers

Re: Magic Lantern adds 1/2 stop of dynamic range - just like that.
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 11:08:36 PM »

The impossibility of the boot flag reset (= warranty loss) ist the only thing that stops me and thousands other people from trying the ML RAW. So far I could not find any way to do it.

We have got to kill that myth…

You will ONLY void the part of the warranty that has to do with the software and firmware of the camera.

Say fx, you install ML… and within two weeks, your accidentally break the LCD or a button comes off or what ever. Those things are still covered. It's impossible to void anything that has not directly to do with the things that ML changes.

Having said that…. I haven't had a single issue with ML on my 5D3. And since you keep ML in the SD card slot and record to the CF card slot, you can remove ML pretty easily… simply power off, remove SD card, remove battery, and you are back to the old Canon again.

Actually, not correct (unless they have changed their mind at Canon). Canon firmware is still covered. It will not be covered only if Canon comes to the conclusion that the fault was directly caused by the ML firmware and not Canon firmware. A slight but important distinction. :)

flowers

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2014, 11:09:53 PM »
The critical question:

Does ML work with the latest 5D3 firmware?

The version 1.2.3 of the firmware has enough time now in our cameras, however ML supports (AFAIS) just 1.1.3

Every new firmware is different from the previous and requires a lot of additional testing to be even remotely safe and functional.
1.1.3 with ML will give you a lot more than 1.2.3 without ML. ML is already free, you really shouldn't complain.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 03:47:02 AM »

It's not hard, but time-intensive because all the addresses of the Canon fw functions have changed, and some function themselves might have. As Canon provides no documentation, all this has to been done by hand which is a lot of work and no progress at all for the ML code itself.

Please visit the ML forum and volunteer to help out a couple of days for free finding these pointers, it isn't hard as you theorized, all has to be done is wading through the ROM dump doing trial & error: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum ... afterwards you can then help me comment on people's "I want free work for my 5d3 from people who cannot even afford a 6d" attitude over here :-)

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 05:02:41 AM »
In regards to the boot delay, it will feel like an instant after you realize how time-consuming the RAW video post workflow is :D
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 10:18:44 AM »
So is it really possible to downgrade a 5d3 from 1.2.3 to the required 1.1.3?  The 1.2.3 fw docs state that it is not possible to revert back.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 10:33:57 AM »
In regards to the boot delay, it will feel like an instant after you realize how time-consuming the RAW video post workflow is :D
This is comparing apples to oranges: Post workflow with shooting!

BUT, this is not the main issue with the delay. The main issue is the wake up delay (yes there is wake up delay with ML). Power off is one case, waking from sleep is 10-100 fold more often...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 10:33:57 AM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »
BUT, this is not the main issue with the delay. The main issue is the wake up delay (yes there is wake up delay with ML). Power off is one case, waking from sleep is 10-100 fold more often...

I have to say you're reporting this is the first time I've ever heard this - but then again, I'm on 6d where the boot delay seems to be much shorter anyway. Feel free to report your issue to the ml forum, they can probably find a way to improve sleep wakeup time - unlike the boot delay when ML gets loaded in the first place.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2014, 05:02:37 PM »

I have to say you're reporting this is the first time I've ever heard this - but then again, I'm on 6d where the boot delay seems to be much shorter anyway. Feel free to report your issue to the ml forum, they can probably find a way to improve sleep wakeup time - unlike the boot delay when ML gets loaded in the first place.
I am saying this because I do not consider the boot time a significant issue. The issue (wake up delay)  is reproducible with my 5D2 actually and the feeling is that this delay makes press the shutter button more than once to activate the camera. It was frustrating until I realized it that it was due to ML. I uninstalled ML, saw that my 5D2 is responsive and then installed ML again. It was nice to know that if I need this speed I will simply uninstall ML and then reinstall it (actually that's why I keep the .fir file with the nightly build. So no issues as long as I uninstall it when I need to  :)

Scott_McPhee

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon 5D mark 3 with various L lenses
    • View Profile
    • SJL Photography

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »
Some more info on a possible ML for 1.2.3 here:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/354/ported-ml-over-to-5d3-firmware-123/diff
Very encouraging. If they also make it capable of boot flag removal I believe it will skyrocket both ML and use of 5D3 for landscapes (thanks to dual_iso module).

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2014, 12:12:11 PM »
If they also make it capable of boot flag removal I believe it will skyrocket both ML and use of 5D3 for landscapes (thanks to dual_iso module).

The dual_iso module is designed for moving high-dr scenes, for landscape you want to do real bracketing as this doesn't lose detail in the highlights and shadows.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2014, 12:37:07 PM »
If they also make it capable of boot flag removal I believe it will skyrocket both ML and use of 5D3 for landscapes (thanks to dual_iso module).

The dual_iso module is designed for moving high-dr scenes, for landscape you want to do real bracketing as this doesn't lose detail in the highlights and shadows.
Yes but sometimes there are leaves that move... 
But, even with no moveable parts I still prefer to sacrifice some (slight) resolution and get a single raw file to begin with. Maybe I was talking for myself but I consider Dual_Iso a HUGE advantage of ML...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2014, 12:37:07 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2014, 04:58:01 AM »
Yes but sometimes there are leaves that move...

Good point, as that also counts as "landscape"...

But, even with no moveable parts I still prefer to sacrifice some (slight) resolution and get a single raw file to begin with.

Indeed, that's why I'm so annoyed unlike the 5d3, the 6d doesn't do raw in-camera hdr (thanks, Canon!)

Maybe I was talking for myself but I consider Dual_Iso a HUGE advantage of ML...

It is, but dual_iso also has more noise (since it's interlaced with higher iso) and still unsolved wb issues in the acr workflow, plus it needs double the storage - once for the original cr2 to profit from cr2hdr advancements, and once again for the converted dng. For me it's best to take nice static scenes as real bracketing, but dual_iso is nice for "just gimme more dr" if the result doesn't need to have the best iq.

Sella174

• 1D Mark IV
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2014, 08:35:39 AM »
How much of all this will be down-pulled to the EOS 5D camera?
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2014, 08:35:39 AM »