December 18, 2014, 08:54:40 PM

Author Topic: Advice and comments on laptop for photo editing  (Read 8523 times)

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
Re: Advice and comments on laptop for photo editing
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 09:59:44 PM »
Last time I drowned a laptop, a 12 month old 17" MBP, I heard about a firm in New York that would remove the motherboard, test the components and repair it, they had a three month warranty and the price was a very reasonable $275.

Just found the emails, the company was called L2 Computer Inc in NY city. I only had one experience with them but the service was superb.

Thanks, this is worth  having a look!
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 09:59:44 PM »

ddl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 10:52:05 PM »
I have an ASUS N550JV (8 GB RAM, 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD); I wanted a DVD/BD drive laptop to let the kids watch movies (legally!). I am tempted to put a 1 TB SDD in it but I may wait before doing that.

So far so good as pictures don't look too bad on 1920 x 1080, I got the version without the touchscreen (as I don't like fingerprints and always pushing the screen back) and always use a mouse for finer control. It's got an IPS display panel with pretty decent colors, viewing angle and an antiglare matte cover that prevents a lot of reflections (not on touchpanel version though).

More pixels ended up in too small a text for me at 15.6" screen diagonal.

Check out NotebookCheck for reviews and go to Notebook Review forums for true user feedback to see actual ownership issues.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:36:48 PM by ddl »

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 11:02:37 PM »
Thanks,

The W540 appears not to be available in Canada and would probably bust my budget by quite a bit if ordered with that high resolution screen... Yet, the W530 still looks like an appealing option if I can convince the banker.

I am a lenovo partner. I had the w530. The screen was a tn panel and over saturated if you ask me. I found the macbook 15" base model better under bootcamp. The 100% rgb ips display is much better. The w540 is nice but will be expensive. Can you deal with a 14"? The lenovo t440s with 1080p ips display is a good screen. It comes as antiglare and would be more affordable. Weighs 3.8lbs. Upgradeable hard drive and ram. The sony flip series while flimsy have good screens.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

beckstoy

• EOS M2
  • Bokeh, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • Pure Touch Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »
I DEEPLY/HIGHLY recommend that you take a look at newegg.com and check out the ASUS laptops they have over there.  I purchased a well-equipped, even by today's standards, laptop about 1 year ago to replace an old HP I'd been using for edits (HP is really horrible with cooling, and, well...generally).  Even thought this thing is a refurb (which caused a discount of about 800 dollars), this thing is still a beast and chews through my edits on LR/PS.  Huge drives, good motherboard, really efficient cooling, great monitor, highly expand-able memory (great for us photographers), and it's never even hiccuped over 1 year of HEAVY usage.

Love me some ASUS!

i7
very fast graphics (NVIDIA GeForce GT 680M - decent by today's standards, awesome last year)
1.5TB
8gb memory (upgraded myself to 32gb)
good monitor (17" 1080 full HD) - calibrated myself using Spyder4Pro (perfect results)
usb3.0
5DM3, EF 50 f1.4, EF 24-70 f2.8 II, EF 70-200 f2.8 USM IS II, EF 24-104 f4, Siggy 12-24 f3.5

beckstoy

• EOS M2
  • Bokeh, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • Pure Touch Photography
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 11:19:43 PM »
I do need mobility.

There's no other option then, I guess.

Some of the small form factor workstations looked quite tempting.
And seeing your child on something larger than 15.6" would be nice, too.

As for laptops the only advice I can give you is to stay away from the "consumer" market.
The asus promotes itself with:
"Entertainment laptops with unparalleled quad-speaker sound and a striking Full HD IPS display"
I think you don't need a quad speaker and with a Spyder 4 you want your display to be real, not "striking" (whatever that means)

good luck with IMG_0001 Jr II btw ;D

Thank you,

You've put the finger on exactly what worried me with ASUS, lots of buzzwords for the price.

I've owned an ASUS for 1+ years, and it's exceeded my expectations.  Super pleased.  I know three other photographers who have had the same success with their units.

Before I purchased any laptop, I went in to a service department of a big-box electronics store.  I asked which brand comes in the LEAST.  "Hands down, ASUS" the dude said.
5DM3, EF 50 f1.4, EF 24-70 f2.8 II, EF 70-200 f2.8 USM IS II, EF 24-104 f4, Siggy 12-24 f3.5

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 11:33:42 PM »
I bought a Windows laptop 15 months ago for Lightroom and Photoshop and it is awesome.

Sager (Gamers laptop)
i7-3630QM
Nvidia 660M
16GB
256 SSD (Lightroom catalog and current images)
750GB 7200rpm for extra storage

The W series Lenovo's are really nice but pricey.

Happy shopping!

ishdakuteb

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 11:45:59 PM »
if you would like to stick with the price, i would prefer asus.  otherwise, i prefer this:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9530/pd?~ck=mn

as for me, i would wait for dell to low down the price of this and then get it...

below is the image that i did in the past to compare this dell xps laptop with macbook pro (note:  there is a discrepancy in this comparison that you would be found in support.  it should be one year for both... copy cell problem...):

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 11:45:59 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 12:41:08 AM »
if you would like to stick with the price, i would prefer asus.  otherwise, i prefer this:

as for me, i would wait for dell to low down the price of this and then get it...

below is the image that i did in the past to compare this dell xps laptop with macbook pro (note:  there is a discrepancy in this comparison that you would be found in support.  it should be one year for both... copy cell problem...):

I was looking at the XPS 15 just a few days ago. I find it to be quite an intriguing product. Never been a huge dell fan, but I am very excited that someone is making a retina-level LED display for a laptop, and a Windows 8.1 convertible laptop at that. If I had to choose a laptop right now, it would be the XPS 15 without question. I ended up repairing my old Sony Vaio 18.4" laptop (which only has a 1920x1080 screen of TERRIBLE quality) for only a couple hundred bucks (because that's all I have at the moment)...but the XPS 15 is definitely on my radar.

BTW, onboard memory sounds like memory that has actually been soldered onto the motherboard. That isn't surprising, given how tightly Apple engineers their products to meet extremely tight specifications. I suspect Dell is using a standard form of laptop memory, which would be much more versatile.

petefromzim

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 02:12:32 AM »
I have an ASUS N550JV (8 GB RAM, 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD); I wanted a DVD/BD drive laptop to let the kids watch movies (legally!). I am tempted to put a 1 TB SDD in it but I may wait before doing that.

So far so good as pictures don't look too bad on 1920 x 1080, I got the version without the touchscreen (as I don't like fingerprints and always pushing the screen back) and always use a mouse for finer control. It's got an IPS display panel with pretty decent colors, viewing angle and an antiglare matte cover that prevents a lot of reflections (not on touchpanel version though).

More pixels ended up in too small a text for me at 15.6" screen diagonal.

Check out NotebookCheck for reviews and go to Notebook Review forums for true user feedback to see actual ownership issues.

My son has this computer which I have used extensively. The worst thing about it is the terrible touchpad/mouse - not accurate (tends to jump around) and not responsive. Also I'm not convinced about the screen colours - looks too warm compared to my Dell, although I guess it can be calibrated.

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 06:44:12 AM »

I was looking at the XPS 15 just a few days ago. I find it to be quite an intriguing product. Never been a huge dell fan, but I am very excited that someone is making a retina-level LED display for a laptop, and a Windows 8.1 convertible laptop at that. If I had to choose a laptop right now, it would be the XPS 15 without question. I ended up repairing my old Sony Vaio 18.4" laptop (which only has a 1920x1080 screen of TERRIBLE quality) for only a couple hundred bucks (because that's all I have at the moment)...but the XPS 15 is definitely on my radar.

BTW, onboard memory sounds like memory that has actually been soldered onto the motherboard. That isn't surprising, given how tightly Apple engineers their products to meet extremely tight specifications. I suspect Dell is using a standard form of laptop memory, which would be much more versatile.

I'm coming from an xps 15 and am a bit disappointed about the reliabiility. Performancewise, the machine was super, but now the motherboard is blown and I've had reliability issues for the last year when I stop to think about it. So only a litttle over 1 year of reoliability does not cut it for me if the price tag is that high. If I was to go dell again, I would need the full long term warranty and then the price really is not that interesting. I think I feel I've been burnt by dell I'd say.
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 06:52:44 AM »
Thanks,

The W540 appears not to be available in Canada and would probably bust my budget by quite a bit if ordered with that high resolution screen... Yet, the W530 still looks like an appealing option if I can convince the banker.

I am a lenovo partner. I had the w530. The screen was a tn panel and over saturated if you ask me. I found the macbook 15" base model better under bootcamp. The 100% rgb ips display is much better. The w540 is nice but will be expensive. Can you deal with a 14"? The lenovo t440s with 1080p ips display is a good screen. It comes as antiglare and would be more affordable. Weighs 3.8lbs. Upgradeable hard drive and ram. The sony flip series while flimsy have good screens.

Is the W530 fhd screen also tn? Considering the good reviews I had seen from photogrphers and the fact that the thing is designer oriented, I had came to think that it was IPS.

As for a 14in, I can consider it. I will definitely look at it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:56:55 AM by IMG_0001 »

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 07:02:29 AM »
So it looks like ASUS usesrs mostly love their machine. I'll have to check the price for extended warranties. May be it could stiil be more economjcal to go that way... I've continued looking around and haven't found that many other interesting options.

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »
So it looks like ASUS usesrs mostly love their machine. I'll have to check the price for extended warranties. May be it could stiil be more economjcal to go that way... I've continued looking around and haven't found that many other interesting options.

Look at this review on that series. Good portions of the rgb color space are missing.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-N550JV-CN201H-Notebook.98311.0.html

Plus the trackpad is not good.

1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »

Canon1

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »
Im a big fan of Lenovo and use a W530.

I spec'd it out with 16GB Ram and i7-3840QM CPU and 1.5GB graphics card.

I do a lot of panorama stitching and the files are HUGE.  I can run C6, LR, HDR all at the same time and it tears through tasks. 

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 09:34:13 AM »
SSD for LR catalogs
Fast graphics card for things like Liquify in Photoshop
8-16GB of RAM should be fine for both LR and PS

Most i7 laptops these days have decent discreet GPU's so you should be fine there.

1920x1080 full gamat screen is a plus.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 09:34:13 AM »