August 21, 2014, 10:18:34 PM

Author Topic: Advice and comments on laptop for photo editing  (Read 6898 times)

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
Re: Advice and comments on laptop for photo editing
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »
So it looks like ASUS usesrs mostly love their machine. I'll have to check the price for extended warranties. May be it could stiil be more economjcal to go that way... I've continued looking around and haven't found that many other interesting options.

Look at this review on that series. Good portions of the rgb color space are missing.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-N550JV-CN201H-Notebook.98311.0.html

Plus the trackpad is not good.

It looks like contrast, viewing angles and blacks are quite good, but you are right that there are some big deltaE's there. I've not found the sRGB coverage percentage though. Moreover, it is unclear if that is with factory settings or calibrated display...

The trackpad issues do not bother me too much as I mainly use a mouse.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:12:40 AM by IMG_0001 »
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »
So it looks like ASUS usesrs mostly love their machine. I'll have to check the price for extended warranties. May be it could stiil be more economjcal to go that way... I've continued looking around and haven't found that many other interesting options.

Look at this review on that series. Good portions of the rgb color space are missing.

It looks like contrast, viewing angles and blacks are quite good, but you are right that there are some big deltaE's there. I've not found the sRGB coverage percentage though. Moreover, it is unclear if that is with factory settings or calibrated display...

My point is if you look at the model vs srgb pic you will see how much it misses. Calibration will only help if its capable of displaying
 the colors. I would consider the samsung ativ book 8 they reviewed if you want to stay in that $$ range but boot camping any macbook retina will not be much more and you can connect an external dvd drive. Pm me and I can help you further if you like.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

ddl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 04:58:09 PM »
It's going to be hard to find a very good laptop screen with good color accuracy and gamut at $1K. I don't do hardcore editing on the laptop but more use it to weed out all the losers prior to finishing on a desktop with better screen monitor.

The laptop is used for portability and if used outdoors then I wanted something with an antiglare or matte finish (as opposed to glossy).

I thought the Asus n550jv provided what I needed and wanted at a reasonable price point.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:43:44 PM by ddl »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 05:57:22 PM »
It's going to be hard to find a very good laptop screen with good color accuracy and gamut at $1K. I don't do hardcore editing on the laptop but more use it to weed out all the losers prior to finishing on a desktop with better screen monitor.

Agreed. Mine was around $1800 back in Oct 2012 and although I got the better gamut screen SAger offered, it does not compare to my Dell 23" IPS external monitor. Whenever I do any colour work I am alwasy extended to the external.

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2014, 10:16:15 AM »

Agreed. Mine was around $1800 back in Oct 2012 and although I got the better gamut screen SAger offered, it does not compare to my Dell 23" IPS external monitor. Whenever I do any colour work I am alwasy extended to the external.

Thanks everyone,

I totally understand that budget laptops won't offer professional grade display, I am just trying to find one that is as good as possible for the money.

I've had my other half cheap laptop calibrated and saw that its screen barely provide 60% sRGB and I know that would not be enough for me. Judging from the link before, the ASUS is not that much over this value as far as gamut is concernerd. Anybody with that machine has had it calibrated and can providde an sRGB value coverage?

Edit: note that this won't be used as a professional photography tool. I am just a hobbyist that is a bit picky...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:21:53 AM by IMG_0001 »
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 12:24:06 PM »
I have been happy with my w520 purchased new in late 2011. These should be available at a good price used. I have not been comparing thi unit to current alternatives because I anticipate keeping it for a while. Haswell has not brought any processing speed upgrade to the table, and although the Sandy Bridge is a little less powerful than Ivy Bridge (w530) the other problems made the 530 unappealing as an upgrade at the time it came out. 

The w520 is -- judging by user complaints -- better than the w530. Read though the forum for this family on the lenovo website. Read those comments. (Yes, I know a forum "collects" the users having problems and overstates the fequency... judge for yourself after reading.) Sad.

I do love the keyboard. I skipped the color calibrator. Maybe not ready for the w520 model based on comments at the tme. I like the color on the FHD (? right letters) high-res screen.

The "w" series offers a LOT of customization. I am up to 24Gig RAM. There is a PCIe slot so that got an mSATA right away for boot drive. I now have a 750 Hitachi spinning HD in the old optical bay (inexpensive third-party caddies are easy to find) and a 256 SSD in the internal HD bay. Three drives. Good unit.

Many of the users of this computer are engineering professionals. I specified the nidia KK1000 discrete graphics board. There is a "2000" variant that must be better for Photoshop. If you have more detailed questions than what is appropriate here please PM me.

Oh, and I use this for tethered shooting as well as mobile editing. Plan to keep this for a long time.

jonathan7007

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:27:33 PM by jonathan7007 »

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2014, 01:19:42 PM »
I have been happy with my w520 purchased new in late 2011. These should be available at a good price used. I have not been comparing thi unit to current alternatives because I anticipate keeping it for a while. Haswell has not brought any processing speed upgrade to the table, and although the Sandy Bridge is a little less powerful than Ivy Bridge (w530) the other problems made the 530 unappealing as an upgrade at the time it came out. 

The w520 is -- judging by user complaints -- better than the w530. Read though the forum for this family on the lenovo website. Read those comments. (Yes, I know a forum "collects" the users having problems and overstates the fequency... judge for yourself after reading.) Sad.

I do love the keyboard. I skipped the color calibrator. Maybe not ready for the w520 model based on comments at the tme. I like the color on the FHD (? right letters) high-res screen.

The "w" series offers a LOT of customization. I am up to 24Gig RAM. There is a PCIe slot so that got an mSATA right away for boot drive. I now have a 750 Hitachi spinning HD in the old optical bay (inexpensive third-party caddies are easy to find) and a 256 SSD in the internal HD bay. Three drives. Good unit.

Many of the users of this computer are engineering professionals. I specified the nidia KK1000 discrete graphics board. There is a "2000" variant that must be better for Photoshop. If you have more detailed questions than what is appropriate here please PM me.

Oh, and I use this for tethered shooting as well as mobile editing. Plan to keep this for a long time.

jonathan7007

I had the w530 and thought the screen was too over saturated with colors and was not ips. I would hold out for the w540 with with high rez screens if you went that route plus the battery always had a little wiggle in it. My t430 (same generation) had the same loose battery. I recommend looking at the current line.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2014, 01:19:42 PM »

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »

jonathan7007

I had the w530 and thought the screen was too over saturated with colors and was not ips. I would hold out for the w540 with with high rez screens if you went that route plus the battery always had a little wiggle in it. My t430 (same generation) had the same loose battery. I recommend looking at the current line.

I've had a look at the Lenovo t430s as you suggested earlier and its review on notrebookcheck. It appears to have a display which is at leat as bad as the ASUS for gamut. Is there something I am missing here?

I still have to research the Samsung ATIV 8 you suggested.

I think I will need to find somewhere I can compare a few of these machines, but they don't seem to be stock at any of the electronics/computer stores around. Otherwise, maybe I can find an online shop with easy return policies and try them by myself...

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2014, 02:11:29 PM »

jonathan7007

The mSATA and 4 RAM slots are two of the points that gets me to return to the W530. I could get a 256GB SSD as a boot/working disk for the mSATA and reuse the 8GB RAM from my Dell to bring it to 16GB. But with taxes ,It comes to around 2K$ and that is the absolute max I can part with right now (a bit over that I'd even say).

And there are the reports of colors being hard to calibrate for accuracy. It seems there is either wide gamut but unaccurately displayed colors or accurate but smaller gamut and low saturation...

Will I even realize that without side-by-side comparison to a really good monitor?

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2014, 02:47:01 PM »

My point is if you look at the model vs srgb pic you will see how much it misses. Calibration will only help if its capable of displaying
 the colors. I would consider the samsung ativ book 8 they reviewed if you want to stay in that $$ range but boot camping any macbook retina will not be much more and you can connect an external dvd drive. Pm me and I can help you further if you like.

Ouch, that ATIV 8 from Samsung is even more expensive than the Lenovo. If I am to spend 1900$ before taxes, I'll head the bootcamp way for sure...

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 02:53:22 PM »
If any of you speak french (like I do), here is a link to a very recent French forum post where the OP lists a summary of laptops with quality screens and for which he has found thorough reviews on the web. It is aimed at photographers like us! By the way, I guess even non french speakers can understand his tables.

http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/OrdinateursPortables/Conseils-d-achat/colorimetrie-portable-dalles-sujet_72788_1.htm#t1398017

I'll spend some times digging in there...

Happy reading.

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2014, 03:17:22 PM »
Apart from those previously mentionned, it appears that the ASUS UX51VZ (15.6IPS) and aASUS UX31VZ (13in IPS) are pretty intersting. Only the small drive capacities are not that enticing, although USB 3 makes good use of standard external HDDs.

Oh and I can't find them in stock anywhere...

Here is a review:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Zenbook-UX51VZ-U500VZ-Notebook.84246.0.html

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »

Ouch, that ATIV 8 from Samsung is even more expensive than the Lenovo. If I am to spend 1900$ before taxes, I'll head the bootcamp way for sure...

I understand but it's $1,099 at best buy
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=8965053&pid=1218957864443&pcatId=abcat0502000

That sounds like the budget you were looking at. The asus ux51 will cost you a lot. Look for the asus ux302 at best buy also since it has a 1080p screen and costs $799. There is a nicer version called the ux301 but again costs $1800+.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »
Ok, so this morning, I decided to take advantage of the 14 days no questions asked return policy of a local electronic store to try a laptop ans see how it goes. I went for the ASUS N550jv. However, being aware of the poor gamut of the base monitor, I went for the touchscreen machine, just to see. It appears to be an IPS touchscreen monitor and viewing angles are quite impressive.

I ran the full evaluation with the spyder4elite and it suggests that the sRGB is covered around 96-97% and a black point around 0,3cd/m2 and very reasonables color precision with DeltaEs under 5 everywhere. Pretty surprised to say the least.

Attached is the printout from the datacolor software analysis.

Now I'll try it for my computing needs and see how it fares. If it is not up to par, I'll just return it and try the Lenovo, but until now, so far so good.

Thanks to everyone who helped. Your advices were all welcome.

ddl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 09:31:42 PM »
I think the Asus n550jv hd display is the same IPS panel, touch gets a glossy cover whereas the non-touch gets a matte anti glare cover.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 09:31:42 PM »