August 30, 2014, 02:41:40 AM

Author Topic: Advice and comments on laptop for photo editing  (Read 6987 times)

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
Re: Advice and comments on laptop for photo editing
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 05:01:48 PM »
Sorry so late in seeing this but I have set up a lot of laptops over the years.

It's hard to beat the Lenovo.  The Lenovo will run rings around the ASUS in performance, display quality, ruggedness and just overall build quality.  The Lenovo is very well supported with frequent driver updates and good quality utilities.  The Lenovo will likely still be running when you finally decide to upgrade someday for whatever other reason.

The ASUS is a retail level product.  The Lenovo is an Enterprise level product.  Apples and Oranges.  Think of the ASUS as a Canon Rebel or *maybe* a xxD series body.  The Lenovo is a 1D series body, hands down.

Get the Lenovo.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 05:01:48 PM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2014, 10:29:24 AM »
Sorry so late in seeing this but I have set up a lot of laptops over the years.

It's hard to beat the Lenovo.  The Lenovo will run rings around the ASUS in performance, display quality, ruggedness and just overall build quality.  The Lenovo is very well supported with frequent driver updates and good quality utilities.  The Lenovo will likely still be running when you finally decide to upgrade someday for whatever other reason.

The ASUS is a retail level product.  The Lenovo is an Enterprise level product.  Apples and Oranges.  Think of the ASUS as a Canon Rebel or *maybe* a xxD series body.  The Lenovo is a 1D series body, hands down.

Get the Lenovo.
My old laptop just can't handle 64-bit editing apps and after some research I'm leaning towards the Lenovo Thinkpad W540 but didn't really want to drop $1800-2000 (with 16GB RAM and some other upgrades) and was hoping someone would suggest something equivalent for less.  Alas, it looks like I'll be buying the Lenovo...
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »
Mackguyver,
I was going to PM but maybe this will help others. I totally agree with Rusty, although less from knowledge that the ASUS wouldn't hold up. I have used a Lenovo w520 since October 2011. Lightroom, Photoshop, and all the other things we do with whatever we lug around (I have a "production" desktop, too, which is like the laptop, general purpose machine.) This machine has emerged as the best -- reasonably current -- spot on the Lenovo "W" workstation continuum. The howls about the w530 and now the compromises in the w540 are a little beyond the usual "forum-as-accumulation-of-complainers" characterization. I suggest you buy a used w520.

The w520 is a Sandy Bridge configuration with user-chosen i7. get a four-core version. These chassis accept a lot of customization, like mSATA drives in a PCIe slot stashed inside -- user reachable and changeable. The optical bay can accept various after-market caddies and I now have a Hitachi 750 there with a Samsung 830 256DSSD in the "regular bay. Oh, and a mSATA that used to be my boot drive. So, three drives.

There is a configuration with a color calibrator installed in the palm rest. I didn't hear a lot of enthusiastic praise for that, but some used it successfully. (I like my Munki.) The "FD" screen is bright and a wider gamut. TN but more colorful than usual. Jury still out on the new IPS in the w540. The keyboard is excellent on the w520. There are more process light indicators on the body than is now the case. The w540 significantly changed the buttons around the trackpad.

Perhaps some time searching through this forum will help with the decision. People way more expert than I started to call the w520 the "sweet spot" when the details on the w540 emerged. Look especially at a long thread called "w540 Wish List". There are users from companies large and small that offer a VEY broad perspective on this line and its changes. "gusat", a regular, thoughtful, contributor from Switerland was part of IBM then Lenovo development (as an advisor). The search mechanism will suggest threads for whatever string you type.
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/bd-p/W_ThinkPads
If the link doesn't show PLEASE pm me before you buy the w540.
Here's a December new w540 user's experience and related comments -- might be happy, I didn't finish the thread.
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Received-my-W540-today-First-impressions/m-p/1365799#M42584

I tether with this on assignments. I have brought it up to 24Gig RAM.

Important:, there is a dedicated graphics board in most w520's. There were two configurations, known as 1000 and 2000, nVidia chipset, because many of the w520 buyers were CAD/CAM people as well as photographers and designers. I bought the 1000 variant, and it's a good boost for Photoshop, and screen display tethering, etc.

There is a downside. The Lenovo-supplied and -approved power brick is just that: a brick! 170Watts (power a small town) because if you have the bigger graphics card set to run and you are rendering giant CAD/CAM environments it will stay ahead of the draw. Most of us also keep a very small 90Watter around for recharging more slowly when idle. The 90 from my previous Lenovo fit and works. Also an active and useful discussion on the forum.

I haven't been on the forum for a little while, so I urge you to go there and see what the building amount of user-evidence about the w540 is saying.

Good luck with the new machine, whatever you choose.

I have appreciated all the good advice and experience you have contributed here, by the way. And images!

jonathan7007

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2014, 09:13:04 AM »
jonathan7007, thank you for the detailed information and after reading more about the various W-series, I see what you're talking about.  It sounds like you got the best model and I'll have to look into getting a used or refurbished model.  My frustration has mostly to do with having a fairly powerful desktop with the latest Core i7 4770K processor, 32GB of RAM and a Quadro K4000.  Most laptops can't come close that kind of processing power, and my old Core2 Duo 4GB RAM laptop feels like a hamster is running inside, even with an SSD drive :)  Thanks again for the advice!
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2014, 11:07:09 PM »
I have gone thru all the core I series thinkpads. The w530 was good but the high gamut panel is tn and not much good for editing. My advice since you have a good workstation and should use that is get a t440s with the 1080p touch screen. Its got 96% rgb screen and ips. Its a little more affordable and should handle all your basic editing the desktop will not fulfill like traveling etc. the w540 is incorporating newer concepts other pc makers are doing. I can assure you to ignore early threads since hardly anyone has received these main stream. Distributors are just getting them in. They did add a number pad and shifted the keyboard. They tried to lighten the laptop so it feels a little more plasticky. You can get a base model with the 3k display and upgrade the rest for less on your own. Ram, hdd, wifi, wan are all upgradeable. You can even lose the dvd drive for an extra hdd for pp projects. The brick is smaller but a laptop like this is not meant to be an ipad ( light and travel friendly) the w530 was not better. You have 30 days to return so i say try one and if you don't like it return it. I personally use the new x1 carbon with the whqd display and it works well. I do wish the rgb gamut was higher but the contrast is insane. I measure 2200:1. You can always try the t440s first. Its a great laptop.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2014, 10:37:52 PM »
Hi mackguyver,

I just wanted to say that so far, I'm pretty happy with the ASUS N550jv (touchscreen version) I ended up buying. Of course it lacks the micro sata port of the W series lenovo, but I'm happy with the screen and speed. I'm also happy its cost me 700$ less. Of course its only been 2 months since I aquired it so longevity is still to be confirmed, but performance wise, my only gripe is windows 8.1...

I'd say try it from somewhere with a good return policy and see before you go for a used W520 or a more recent and costly Lenny.

If its really for business though, may be the additional expenses on the W is worth it.  The ASUS built has nothing wrong, but Lenovo's have a reputation of being sturdy products and that weighs in for professional use.

Regards.
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2014, 10:44:49 PM »
By the way, I know Mackguyver saw that thread at the time, but there is a file with the results from my spyder 4 elite calibration on the first post of this thread if anybody wants to further inquire on tha ASUS.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19200.0
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2014, 10:44:49 PM »

climber

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2014, 07:24:27 AM »
I'm looking to buy a new computer in near future, which I will use mainly for photo editing. Beside everything else, but photo editing is the main purpose. I am also decided to go with one of Apple products.

Could someone suggest which screen is better for photo editing. Is it 15'' Retina because of better resolution or is it 27'' screen on iMac because it is larger. But it has smaller resolution.

I am interested in the opinion only as regards screens.

Thanks

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2014, 09:41:36 AM »
After much debate, I decided to buy a compromise laptop - the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P, which seems to have everything I wanted (16GB RAM, fast processor, powerful (dual discrete) GPU(s), nice keyboard) except for a top notch monitor.  I then realized that I use a laptop so little that it made more sense to put my money elsewhere - a new 1DX - but I really appreciate everyone's advice and will probably circle back to this in a few months or so when I decide to upgrade.

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2014, 11:10:24 AM »

Look at this review on that series. Good portions of the rgb color space are missing.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-N550JV-CN201H-Notebook.98311.0.html

I have an Asus U52F, which has great processing and speed, BUT its screen is its weak point.  Even my ancient Dell 15" laptop has much better colors and saturation.  I've been thinking about a 17" laptop with decent speed and good screen for non-intensive photoshop 6 work, not too expensive and often on sale  ;)  Any ideas?

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »
After much debate, I decided to buy a compromise laptop - the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P, which seems to have everything I wanted (16GB RAM, fast processor, powerful (dual discrete) GPU(s), nice keyboard) except for a top notch monitor.  I then realized that I use a laptop so little that it made more sense to put my money elsewhere - a new 1DX - but I really appreciate everyone's advice and will probably circle back to this in a few months or so when I decide to upgrade.
I'm not sure about your budget but I would suggest that you might be able to have both.  Have you considered a nice refurbished Thinkpad?  A T420 is a solid unit that will give you everything for around $500 and then you could add more RAM and/or a SSD drive if desired.  If you want an even better laptop for your needs, get a used W520 for around $800 - $1000.  Both units are built like a tank, offer great performance and will outlast just about every other laptop out there.  Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2014, 12:02:16 PM »
I'm not sure about your budget but I would suggest that you might be able to have both.  Have you considered a nice refurbished Thinkpad?  A T420 is a solid unit that will give you everything for around $500 and then you could add more RAM and/or a SSD drive if desired.  If you want an even better laptop for your needs, get a used W520 for around $800 - $1000.  Both units are built like a tank, offer great performance and will outlast just about every other laptop out there.  Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
The 1DX destroyed my budget for a while, at least until I can swing a few good shoots, but thanks for the advice and offer.

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 08:04:03 AM »

Look at this review on that series. Good portions of the rgb color space are missing.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-N550JV-CN201H-Notebook.98311.0.html

I have an Asus U52F, which has great processing and speed, BUT its screen is its weak point.  Even my ancient Dell 15" laptop has much better colors and saturation.  I've been thinking about a 17" laptop with decent speed and good screen for non-intensive photoshop 6 work, not too expensive and often on sale  ;)  Any ideas?

This link relates to the standard screen. Seriously, I ran my Spyder 4 Elite on the touchscreen version I own and it has 96% sRGB, low deltaE's under 5 everywhere and decent contrast and uniformity. See the link in my previous post for the Spyder report in pdf. Personally I am very happy and being IPS, the screen has very good viewing angles.

I have seen that the 17'' ASUS N750 with touchscreen might have similar performances so it may be worth having a look.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 08:04:03 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2014, 02:04:09 AM »

I agree. In fact the only thing that can compete with, and many would say beat, the Lenovo, is the Dell Precision M4800 or M6800. Both amazing machines and they are the equivalent to a 1D Canon as well.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »

I agree. In fact the only thing that can compete with, and many would say beat, the Lenovo, is the Dell Precision M4800 or M6800. Both amazing machines and they are the equivalent to a 1D Canon as well.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not putting the ASUS at the same level as the Lenovo. It is just that, as not everyone can justify the expense of a 1D body, not everyone can justify the expense of a mobile workstation. If you are looking for a workhorse computer for earning your daily bread, then the differences are possibly worth the price gap and these Lenovos are compelling options. Otherwise, it is good to know of less expensive alternatives that can get the job suitably done.

For me, an amateur photographer who was looking for a good laptop as his only computer that would also (read primarily) be used for engineering/physics simulations in an academic environment, the 50% price difference was just not justifiable.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »