September 30, 2014, 04:01:40 PM

Author Topic: Adobe Lightroom for iPad Coming Soon  (Read 8833 times)

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Lightroom for iPad Coming Soon
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 11:47:51 PM »
Sorry to see LR take a cloud model.

Where does it say that???

99 is just the beginning.  Wait until you need that sharpening module only offered as an in-app add-on.

Oh, I get it now.  You're just making stuff up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 11:47:51 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 12:34:36 AM »

99 is just the beginning.  Wait until you need that sharpening module only offered as an in-app add-on.

Do you pay much attention to the modern world of apps? In-app microtransactions for addons of one kind or another are all the rage. Zynga, for example, is famous for employing microtransactions in their games, to the great financial detriment of the players who become addicted to them. It's how some app developers have raked in hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars for apps that cost a mere few bucks or are even free...and it is certainly no longer limited to just games.

I wouldn't say he is just making stuff up. It's a real-world thing that is becoming far more common, and with Adobe's apparent unquenchable greed as of late, it isn't surprising to hear this brought up as a potential concern. At some point, I fully expect Adobe to figure out that they could make even more money off their already tapped customers by employing microtransactions...and they will probably find an effective way of restructuring their products to take full advantage of the concept. Whether that happens now, with Lightroom for iPad, or at some later date, is yet to be seen...I suspect a later date, but I do expect Adobe to jump on the bandwagon at some point.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

M4X

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 03:10:31 AM »

Adobe should offer hats as an in-app purchase.

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 03:13:39 AM »
The usual sales model for iPad apps is to sell a very high number at low unit price.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

mustafa

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 05:24:08 AM »
What has this to do with Canon?

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 07:34:05 AM »
What has this to do with Canon?

Truly nothing, but I will try to find a "link" between iPad and Canon ..

Lightroom for iPad is boring,

Really exciting would be an iPadX which allows to run Max OSX and Windows and all the SW which is available like Lightroom, DxO or Canons DPP or EOS Utility (very helpful).

I gave up to wait for an iPadX and bought a 2nd hand Fujitsu Stylistic for 300 bucks + an 256 GB SSD for 200 bucks with 6 hrs of battery life (12 hrs with an extended battery) - not as stylish as an iPad but works and has a built-in sd card reader + large and bright display (13").

By the way: I hate the strategy to have 5 or 7 software versions for different operating systems with different licensing schemes in a world where it is possible to run a Windows, OSX or some linux on a smartphone sized computer.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:38:31 AM by mb66energy »
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

DanielW

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 08:19:53 AM »
I am myself waiting for Aperture 4 to be released so I can make a choice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 08:19:53 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 09:09:17 AM »
LR for iPad sounds really good ... if it is anywhere near the feature set of LR5, $99 is a very reasonable price ... where I live right now, that's less then the price of a Big Mac + Coffee ... neither of them are good for my health, so, I'm sure I can forego 1 Big Mac & a Coffee every month to pay for the LR iPad subscription ... even if they double the price I will simply forego 2 Big Macs and 2 cups of coffee every month ... that way I might even be able to extend my life by a few minutes longer, to capture a beautiful sunset or a sexy lady ... then edit it on my iPad with LR, take a good look at my work, be proud of it and then die like a proud peacock ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:11:19 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »
That's one expensive BigMac for sure.

On the other thread, it sounds like the price is for the cloud service.

Windows tablet, install the real thing?

LDS

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 09:53:51 AM »
I would point out, for those of you who want Lightroom on the go, that you can already have it. Not only that, you can have the full Lightroom. Just get a Windows 8 Pro tablet (not Windows 8 RT, you need the full Windows 8).
Exactly. You can take advantage of the "two installation" allowance in the Lightroom license and install it both on your main PC and the tablet, without having to buy a second license ($99 a year for a more limited Lightroom? Crazy price).
I've been using it on a Surface 2 Pro (the 8GB version) and it works pretty well (sure, an 11" screen may be a little to small, but the iPad is not larger, and has no digitizer). Moreover the display can be calibrated as well using a standard calibration tool.
It has a full USB port so you can tether the camera and use it also with EOS Utility for live view and remote shooting without the need of special cables and/or hacks and 3rd party apps. Being an USB 3.0 port is also very quick to import pictures in Lightroom using a card reader.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 09:55:30 AM »
Seems a bit pricey unless we get the full version which I guess might work on the new iPad air but the older versions might struggle. For an app that is a lot. And you have to pay that yearly too. I have an iPad but am not that desperate to have post processing on the go. My iPad is 64GB so if wouldn't even hold a fraction of my library or catalogue anyway. Do they provide some kind of cloud storage to go with it??

Throw in tethered shooting functionality and half the price and it might have a use.

Note Snapseed is free and does a pretty decent job.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »
I would point out, for those of you who want Lightroom on the go, that you can already have it. Not only that, you can have the full Lightroom. Just get a Windows 8 Pro tablet (not Windows 8 RT, you need the full Windows 8).
Exactly. You can take advantage of the "two installation" allowance in the Lightroom license and install it both on your main PC and the tablet, without having to buy a second license ($99 a year for a more limited Lightroom? Crazy price).
I've been using it on a Surface 2 Pro (the 8GB version) and it works pretty well (sure, an 11" screen may be a little to small, but the iPad is not larger, and has no digitizer). Moreover the display can be calibrated as well using a standard calibration tool.
It has a full USB port so you can tether the camera and use it also with EOS Utility for live view and remote shooting without the need of special cables and/or hacks and 3rd party apps. Being an USB 3.0 port is also very quick to import pictures in Lightroom using a card reader.

You two are talking way too much sense for this thread stop it now

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »

Do you pay much attention to the modern world of apps? In-app microtransactions for addons of one kind or another are all the rage. Zynga, for example, is famous for employing microtransactions in their games, to the great financial detriment of the players who become addicted to them. It's how some app developers have raked in hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars for apps that cost a mere few bucks or are even free...and it is certainly no longer limited to just games.

I wouldn't say he is just making stuff up. It's a real-world thing that is becoming far more common, and with Adobe's apparent unquenchable greed as of late, it isn't surprising to hear this brought up as a potential concern. At some point, I fully expect Adobe to figure out that they could make even more money off their already tapped customers by employing microtransactions...and they will probably find an effective way of restructuring their products to take full advantage of the concept. Whether that happens now, with Lightroom for iPad, or at some later date, is yet to be seen...I suspect a later date, but I do expect Adobe to jump on the bandwagon at some point.

Like I said,  he made it all up.  Even if this leak is real it says nothing about in app purchases or about LR adopting a cloud model.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »

pinktech

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 11:11:02 AM »
I'm not a pro on assignment and I hate bringing a computer on vacation. If they price it fairly, it sounds like a great idea. I hope it's real and will be included in the $9.99/month photographers plan. If not, I might be willing to pay a little more ($5/month maybe, or a onetime special price for subscribers) for the convenience of not having to schlepp around an expensive MBP to do cataloging, key wording and a few quick edits while on the road. Snapseed, et al are great for edits, but don't catalog or keyword. Which lake was that, St. Who's church, what was her cousin's name, get that stuff entered while its fresh in your memory, and then get back to the beach/tour/party. Save the heavy lifting for home.

Wish it could be a Universal app. I use the iPhone camera all the time, esp. for geotagging; iPad camera, not so much, um, at all.

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »
I don't really see the point of this.  Will it work with RAW, and how to get RAW transferred onto the iPad?  I already have snap seed for free.  I OWN Lightroom 4 for my PC.  I don't see the benefit of renting software, but this has been covered a lot already. 
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »