September 17, 2014, 04:04:10 PM

Author Topic: Adobe Lightroom for iPad Coming Soon  (Read 8726 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Adobe Lightroom for iPad Coming Soon
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »
LR for iPad sounds really good ... if it is anywhere near the feature set of LR5, $99 is a very reasonable price ... where I live right now, that's less then the price of a Big Mac + Coffee ... neither of them are good for my health, so, I'm sure I can forego 1 Big Mac & a Coffee every month to pay for the LR iPad subscription ... even if they double the price I will simply forego 2 Big Macs and 2 cups of coffee every month ... that way I might even be able to extend my life by a few minutes longer, to capture a beautiful sunset or a sexy lady ... then edit it on my iPad with LR, take a good look at my work, be proud of it and then die like a proud peacock ;D

It's not $99. It is $99/year. Big difference. One can buy LR5 and use it and sit on it for a couple years or more, getting more and more value out of the product, all for a single up-front cost of $149 (or $79 for upgraders, which is even better!) This iPad app is a subscription product...so it isn't $99, it is $99/year. It's the "/year" part that pisses people off.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »
Sorry to see LR take a cloud model.

Where does it say that???

99 is just the beginning.  Wait until you need that sharpening module only offered as an in-app add-on.

Oh, I get it now.  You're just making stuff up.

Do you pay much attention to the modern world of apps? In-app microtransactions for addons of one kind or another are all the rage. Zynga, for example, is famous for employing microtransactions in their games, to the great financial detriment of the players who become addicted to them. It's how some app developers have raked in hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars for apps that cost a mere few bucks or are even free...and it is certainly no longer limited to just games.

I wouldn't say he is just making stuff up. It's a real-world thing that is becoming far more common, and with Adobe's apparent unquenchable greed as of late, it isn't surprising to hear this brought up as a potential concern. At some point, I fully expect Adobe to figure out that they could make even more money off their already tapped customers by employing microtransactions...and they will probably find an effective way of restructuring their products to take full advantage of the concept. Whether that happens now, with Lightroom for iPad, or at some later date, is yet to be seen...I suspect a later date, but I do expect Adobe to jump on the bandwagon at some point.

Like I said,  he made it all up.  Even if this leak is real it says nothing about in app purchases or about LR adopting a cloud model.

He didn't make it up. He is speculating. There is a difference there. And as I said, it is no surprise, given Adobe's trend of life sucking everlasting fees for their application use. It seems very logical that Adobe would do something like microtransactions for microfeatures at some point. I'm not saying they WILL do it right away with this app, but it isn't just making stuff up, it's conjecturing about the future of Adobe customers and how costly it will be to stick with Adobe products.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4

iMagic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
Dont forget 30% goes to apple. Still expensive though.

Brand B

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 07:54:26 PM »
Will it work with RAW, and how to get RAW transferred onto the iPad? 

Importing RAW onto an iPad works the same as importing JPEG.  I assume you'd use the USB or SD card - dock/lightning adapters to connect the camera and import them into LR just like you do with the iOS photo app.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 08:23:45 PM »
Will it work with RAW, and how to get RAW transferred onto the iPad? 

Importing RAW onto an iPad works the same as importing JPEG.  I assume you'd use the USB or SD card - dock/lightning adapters to connect the camera and import them into LR just like you do with the iOS photo app.

Surprisingly the iPad seems to handle RAW files just fine. I use the USB to lightning cable and then connect the camera directly to the iPad. Upload is simple. No additional codecs or upgrades required (unlike windows) it can display the RAW file as a JPEG preview. The issue will be memory space. Even the 128GB versions will fill up soon so it's really only good for light editing and then transfer the files to your PC / MAC. I've never tried that though but it should be a case of just plug in and drag and drop.

Also the question remains how those files will sync with your existing library? You could have a separate Lightroom mobile catalogue that you click on. Then you could merge or import that catalogue to your existing library? Or will it have some kind of cloud sync?   
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
Sorry to see LR take a cloud model.

Where does it say that???

99 is just the beginning.  Wait until you need that sharpening module only offered as an in-app add-on.

Oh, I get it now.  You're just making stuff up.

Do you pay much attention to the modern world of apps? In-app microtransactions for addons of one kind or another are all the rage. Zynga, for example, is famous for employing microtransactions in their games, to the great financial detriment of the players who become addicted to them. It's how some app developers have raked in hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars for apps that cost a mere few bucks or are even free...and it is certainly no longer limited to just games.

I wouldn't say he is just making stuff up. It's a real-world thing that is becoming far more common, and with Adobe's apparent unquenchable greed as of late, it isn't surprising to hear this brought up as a potential concern. At some point, I fully expect Adobe to figure out that they could make even more money off their already tapped customers by employing microtransactions...and they will probably find an effective way of restructuring their products to take full advantage of the concept. Whether that happens now, with Lightroom for iPad, or at some later date, is yet to be seen...I suspect a later date, but I do expect Adobe to jump on the bandwagon at some point.

Like I said,  he made it all up.  Even if this leak is real it says nothing about in app purchases or about LR adopting a cloud model.

So apparently you didnt even read the original CR post...and i quote

"It appears Adobe accidentally leaked Lightroom for iPad before the official announcement. It looks like the app will be a cloud subscription of $99 on an annual basis."

Nuff said.

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 10:01:02 PM »
Well, all the great thinkers out there that cant see the forest for the trees, and find that subscription software is a "great deal"- the chickens are coming home to roost. You guys made you own bed.

Subscription ipad sofftware....lol

Let all the photo sheep go ahead and purchase this.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 10:01:02 PM »

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »
So apparently you didnt even read the original CR post...and i quote

"It appears Adobe accidentally leaked Lightroom for iPad before the official announcement. It looks like the app will be a cloud subscription of $99 on an annual basis."

Nuff said.

That isn't about the existing LR application.  Maybe you should reread your quote.

JRPhotos

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • J&R Ogden Photography
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2014, 12:01:53 AM »
I know that this topic is for the ipad but this comment is more for the Adobe saas in general. I hate it, for me I'd rather buy the DVD and be done with it... most people can't afford that type of model where you pay monthly.

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2014, 12:17:25 AM »
If this could serve as a replacement for Everpix, which I loved, and miss, AND perhaps cost $50 a year, I might spring for it.
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2014, 12:52:11 AM »
LR for iPad sounds really good ... if it is anywhere near the feature set of LR5, $99 is a very reasonable price ... where I live right now, that's less then the price of a Big Mac + Coffee ... neither of them are good for my health, so, I'm sure I can forego 1 Big Mac & a Coffee every month to pay for the LR iPad subscription ... even if they double the price I will simply forego 2 Big Macs and 2 cups of coffee every month ... that way I might even be able to extend my life by a few minutes longer, to capture a beautiful sunset or a sexy lady ... then edit it on my iPad with LR, take a good look at my work, be proud of it and then die like a proud peacock ;D

It's not $99. It is $99/year. Big difference. One can buy LR5 and use it and sit on it for a couple years or more, getting more and more value out of the product, all for a single up-front cost of $149 (or $79 for upgraders, which is even better!) This iPad app is a subscription product...so it isn't $99, it is $99/year. It's the "/year" part that pisses people off.
I am quite aware that it is $99/year and I have no problem with it and it does not pi$$ me off, coz that is less than 1 Big Mac & a Coffee per month for me. Initially I was not very happy about Adobe's subscription model, but when I calculated what I've paid for Adobe software since 2007, the subscription model actually works out far cheaper than "owning" it (as I've always upgraded to newer versions as and when they released CS & LR), so I now prefer the subscription model. Besides, I waste a lot more than $8.25 a month buying all kinds of cheap camera accessories that I never use after the first try, I am sure I can stop wasting some of it and pay for Adobe subscription. Since I am a salaried person and not a businessman paying smaller amounts every month works out lot easier for me than to pay a big lump sum. I understand that it may not work well for people who like to use the same software for several years and get great mileage out of it ... I guess they are justified in being pi$$ed off about the subscription model.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2014, 01:11:03 AM »

I am quite aware that it is $99/year and I have no problem with it and it does not pi$$ me off, coz that is less than 1 Big Mac & a Coffee per month for me. Initially I was not very happy about Adobe's subscription model, but when I calculated what I've paid for Adobe software since 2007, the subscription model actually works out far cheaper than "owning" it (as I've always upgraded to newer versions as and when they released CS & LR), so I now prefer the subscription model. Besides, I waste a lot more than $8.25 a month buying all kinds of cheap camera accessories that I never use after the first try, I am sure I can stop wasting some of it and pay for Adobe subscription. Since I am a salaried person and not a businessman paying smaller amounts every month works out lot easier for me than to pay a big lump sum. I understand that it may not work well for people who like to use the same software for several years and get great mileage out of it ... I guess they are justified in being pi$$ed off about the subscription model.

You may be part of the rarer few who upgraded with every version. If you used to spend more, then more power to ya with the subscription model.

Personally, I tended to skip a version or two before upgrading. Most of my graphic design and artist friends would skip as many versions as they could and still get a decent upgrade price. With version skipping, buying licenses was quite a bit cheaper...and more often than not it was easy enough to skip since few of the new features were really useful or critically necessary to the niche of any given artist. Photographers might get compelling enough features every couple versions, classical artists might get a new feature every two to three versions, graphic designers probably benefited most from more frequent updates, but most of the ones I've known still skipped (just too costly on a sporadic freelance salary).

Now, once I get my freelance thing going full steam, it won't be all that terrible to rent Adobe software for $50 a month. The problem is that if the freelancing dries up for a while, I won't be able to afford $50 a month...and I'll LOSE ACCESS. It's the losing access bit that is the most irksome part of Adobe's new rental modal, even though the prices still feel too high. The thing Adobe doesn't seem to get is that even though a freelancer isn't necessarily able to work every single month of the year, they still create works. I'll always be creating new photography, doodling new logos and creating new web site designs. I'll always need the tools, however I may not always be able to afford the rather astronomical price. Losing access after a month is just a bad dig at freelancers...kind if like Adobe saying "GTFO" to all of us. Do they care? Are freelancers important to Adobe? Really hard to tell...

Personally, I cut out random expenditures on fast food (and pretty much everything else) about a year ago, so I don't really have any "cheap" things I buy each month to compare the price to. I only spend money on new photography or astronomy stuff when I have saved up the money for something I really intend to use, so I don't really have any random monthly expenditures there either. I periodically buy new ink and paper for my printing...however I'm usually just as irked about the cost of 14ml of ink as I am about the cost of Adobe software rental. :P  ;D

The only real basis for comparison is the cost of the full Lightroom, which is still $149. You can buy a license for LR and sit on it for years (usually, the time between camera body upgrades, which is the only REAL reason you MUST upgrade...in order to get support for your cameras' new sensor.) At a list price of $149 for the full version of LR which can be amortized over anywhere from two to four years, $99 per year for a less capable iPad app is kind of like a slap in the face, doesn't it? It certainly feels that way to me. Especially since I'm currently renting Photoshop CC and LR 5 for $9.99 a month...that is a HELL of a lot more functionality for quite a bit cheaper than Lightroom iPad for $99 a year. Again, feels like a slap in the face.

If they were asking for $99 a year for full LR functionality, that isn't quite as bad, but it's still worse than the PS CC + LR5 deal for $10 a month.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:16:12 AM by jrista »
My Photography

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 01:41:43 AM »
Especially since I'm currently renting Photoshop CC and LR 5 for $9.99 a month...that is a HELL of a lot more functionality for quite a bit cheaper than Lightroom iPad for $99 a year. Again, feels like a slap in the face.

If they were asking for $99 a year for full LR functionality, that isn't quite as bad, but it's still worse than the PS CC + LR5 deal for $10 a month.
I would like to pay less if I could, after all I am not allergic to money  ;) ... I do agree that it is expensive in comparison to what Adobe is offering currently for $9.99/month ... but again the $99/year thing is still a rumor at this stage, so lets wait and see what materializes eventually. If it does turn out to be a fact then it better be darned good.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 01:41:43 AM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 05:54:21 AM »
I can't say I'm too optimistic about the processing capabilities of the iPad. Let's remember that LR is meant for batch processing.

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 06:36:44 AM »
I can't say I'm too optimistic about the processing capabilities of the iPad. Let's remember that LR is meant for batch processing.
True ... but iPads/tablets, with each new version will only get more powerful and better ... eventually we should be able to have some powerful processing power from these portable devices. This is just the beginning.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 06:36:44 AM »