November 27, 2014, 02:00:24 PM

Author Topic: Adobe Lightroom for iPad Coming Soon  (Read 9676 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Adobe Lightroom for iPad Coming Soon
« on: January 17, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »

It appears Adobe accidentally leaked Lightroom for iPad before the official announcement. It looks like the app will be a cloud subscription of $99 on an annual basis.

There may be other purchase options when it officially launches.

Adobe’s marketing for Lightroom for mobile is “Take Lightroom anywhere.” According to an Adobe employee, the software will have a lot of the same features currently in Lightroom for desktop.

lightroom

Source: [9to5] via [MR]

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Adobe Lightroom for iPad Coming Soon
« on: January 17, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »

friedrice1212

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Lightroom for iPad Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »
99$ per annum? LR5 is 149$ one-time for PC... I don't understand this pricing.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »

Neither do I. Maybe they're including Behance or other online storage with it?

It's the New Way(tm), SaaS (aka renting your software). Probably has some online storage to sync so you don't need it all locally, although I tend to think that's a bad idea since you won't always have a connection. Especially not in the field.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:11:02 PM »
I really hope that this is going to be included with Creative Cloud!

Also, the software renting is sometime tax beneficial as it is a 100% write off each year.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:12:01 PM »
Yes. I posted about this earlier...  http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19135.0.     :D

$99 a year is too much IMO...
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:27:25 PM »
That's another possible leak, you may not be able to buy LR6, just rent it.  Since my LRcc allows two computers, I'm wondering if a ipad can be one of them.

BTW, does LR5 run on your ipad??

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:50 PM »
What I'm looking for is:

1) access to eyefi or like tech to access album of streaming images. Pretty much the import model that references the album of the uploaded images via wifi.

2) ability for LR to cloud sync catalogs.  meaning changes you do in LR ipad to be updated in desktop. The idea is that you can set it to a mirror mode so that you can bounce between two live sessions.. not realtime, but that sync will be maintained.

3) JPG/highspeed mode... meaning that you upload your jpg from your raw+jpg's.  (too bad you can't do raw + SRaw) You select your picks, priorities, flags and metadata from the ipad. Maybe even ballpark some exposure/color/presets.  You get home, load up your card, load up the catalog from the cloud (copied locally for speed) and you already have the selects you did on the road. Perhaps Eyefi or LR can do a pixel skip thing where they load every other pix from a RAW transfer to give you a half rez RAW without rendering. That way you can do color and have low bandwidth

4) support for slideshow directly from ipad to an external display via airplay/appleTV or some hardwired display.

5) some sort of screen calibration for the ipad? not sure how this would be done.. perhaps some sort of compatibility with third party screen calibration? The idea is to bypass the default, contrasty and blue ipad display and load an appropriate LUT for the ipad screen for photography.  Only operation within Lightroom, of course, but thats all you would need.

Pipe dream? Pie in the sky?  High as a Kite? Hope not!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:50 PM »

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »

Its not supposed to make sense... just make Adobe richer!   ;D

My concern isn't the annual upgrade... well it should just be $79..damn thing shouldn't be more than the current upgrade price.  My problem is the necessity to always be connected to the Adobe Borg Collective to do anything with their software.  I believe the current model is that it has to talk to adobe every 60 days or else you're officially a pirate.  The irony of course is that the actual pirate version will circumvent this likely, making this just an inconvenience to the user and effectively zero impact on piracy.
People often countered this by saying the likelihood of not having wifi access in two months is slim.  But I offer you an equivalent situation: Imagine if my canon had to talk to canon every two months or else it doesn't work anymore.  Doesn't seem like you own it any more. Yes software is licensed, not "owned" .. . so that license is effectually only good for 2 months..

Yet folks with the crack would likely enjoy trouble free operation.

As a paying customer of my software, this pisses me off.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 08:40:58 PM »
A yearly cost of $99 is WAY too much. Adobe has their pricing model jacked way up to 11, and they don't seem to realize it. The average cost of owning Adobe products in the past was a fraction of what it costs today for the average photographer and freelancer. While it maybe as cost effective for monstrous corporations, Adobe is seriously alienating their long term loyal individual customers with this inane pricing model. The per-app prices should be $3 - $5 per month, with maybe a few key apps like Photoshop at around $10 per month (simply because of the sheer volume of functionality they provide, which is indeed rather extensive).

If Adobe sticks with these ludicrous prices, someone is going to realize there is a massive and growing population of potential consumers for high quality products in the photographic editing segment, and they are going to deliver the goods at a reasonable price, at a rather massive long term cost to Adobe's bottom line. There is no way Adobe makes enough off of the big corporate users to support their business model if they lose the majority of their individual customers...which really begs the question:

Why are they trying to suck us dry like this?

It really doesn't make sense...

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 08:41:10 PM »
More like take LR nowhere.  After the current versions outlive their usefulness i will no longer use adobe products.  Sorry to see LR take a cloud model.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »
A yearly cost of $99 is WAY too much. Adobe has their pricing model jacked way up to 11, and they don't seem to realize it. The average cost of owning Adobe products in the past was a fraction of what it costs today for the average photographer and freelancer. While it maybe as cost effective for monstrous corporations, Adobe is seriously alienating their long term loyal individual customers with this inane pricing model. The per-app prices should be $3 - $5 per month, with maybe a few key apps like Photoshop at around $10 per month (simply because of the sheer volume of functionality they provide, which is indeed rather extensive).

If Adobe sticks with these ludicrous prices, someone is going to realize there is a massive and growing population of potential consumers for high quality products in the photographic editing segment, and they are going to deliver the goods at a reasonable price, at a rather massive long term cost to Adobe's bottom line. There is no way Adobe makes enough off of the big corporate users to support their business model if they lose the majority of their individual customers...which really begs the question:

Why are they trying to suck us dry like this?

It really doesn't make sense...

Perhaps it's just a teaser.  Then they'll offer it for 4.99/mo and people will think what a great deal that is since it's a discount from the 99/year.   ::)

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
Sorry to see LR take a cloud model.

Where does it say that???

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »

99 is just the beginning.  Wait until you need that sharpening module only offered as an in-app add-on.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 11:08:54 PM »

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 11:17:42 PM »

99 is just the beginning.  Wait until you need that sharpening module only offered as an in-app add-on.

An in-app microtransaction that costs $9.99 itself.

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 11:28:59 PM »
I would point out, for those of you who want Lightroom on the go, that you can already have it. Not only that, you can have the full Lightroom. Just get a Windows 8 Pro tablet (not Windows 8 RT, you need the full Windows 8). I currently use a Surface Pro, and I have both Lightroom and Photoshop installed on it. I can use it out in the field for countless hours so long as I don't forget to bring along my charging block and my AC converter for my car. The Surface Pro includes a stylus, which is actually a very intuitive way of working with these apps small controls on the high density screen...and I actually find it is a bit more productive stylusing my way through LR than mousing my way through it on the desktop. You have all the simultaneous multi-input capabilities as well, so you can switch between using stylus, touch, and kb/touchpad at will, so you can always use your most productive device to perform commands, move through the UI, etc.

Anyway...for those who don't want to drop $100 a year on an iPad app that is sure to be a shadow of the full LR, especially if you already own an LR license, just pick up a Windows 8 tablet. Dell now has one that has a screen resolution with a higher density than the iMac laptop retina displays, and it's competitively priced, for those who want a really nice device to do their photography work with. The Surface Pro 2 should also be a pretty nice device, with its improved battery life, as it also included the stylus.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 11:28:59 PM »