December 21, 2014, 12:55:16 AM

Author Topic: GREAT AND CHEAP BATTERIES FOR EOS-M  (Read 10275 times)

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
Re: GREAT AND CHEAP BATTERIES FOR EOS-M
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2014, 09:38:53 AM »
Are the opteka batteries chipped? Do they have the battery readout on the LCD?

Dear DRR.
Sorry, I do not know, But 2 Brand Cheapo Battery that I Have 4 Halcyon and 2 Wasabi, I do not think they have chip, because they will not tell me on my Battery LCD indicator ( ?).
Surapon.
Yes, my 2 Canon camera battries have the chips.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2014, 09:38:53 AM »

DRR

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 12:31:25 PM »

Dear DRR.
Sorry, I do not know, But 2 Brand Cheapo Battery that I Have 4 Halcyon and 2 Wasabi, I do not think they have chip, because they will not tell me on my Battery LCD indicator ( ?).
Surapon.

I bought an Opteka battery off amazon for $13. I will report back.

From my understanding - batteries that are chipped, will work functionally just like Canon batteries. The display will tell you battery remaining. You can charge them properly in the Canon charger.

Batteries that are not chipped, will not display battery life on the LCD. I think you can charge them in the canon charger but you also risk overcharging, because it does not have a chip to tell it when to stop charging? (This is all information I read online, so I do not know how accurate it may be. I am no electrical engineer)

In any case, $13 vs $45 for the canon battery seems like a pretty good deal if it offers the same functionality. I will report back when I get it.

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »

Dear DRR.
Surapon.

From my understanding - batteries that are chipped, will work functionally just like Canon batteries. The display will tell you battery remaining. You can charge them properly in the Canon charger.

Batteries that are not chipped, will not display battery life on the LCD. I think you can charge them in the canon charger but you also risk overcharging, because it does not have a chip to tell it when to stop charging? (This is all information I read online, so I do not know how accurate it may be. I am no electrical engineer)

In any case, $13 vs $45 for the canon battery seems like a pretty good deal if it offers the same functionality. I will report back when I get it.

Actually it's not the same functionality.  The Opteka battery will last longer between recharges!  ;)

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 10:56:36 AM »
I decided to give the Halcyon batteries a try, and bought 2 from Amazon here in the UK.  They look just like the ones Surapon has photographed, with the same boxes too.  They seem to work fine, but I only get the same number of shots as I do with the Canon model (~140).  I'm using the Canon charger - could this be why?

I don't know whether they have chips, but you do get 3 or 4 shots warning on the LCD before they run out. 

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »
I decided to give the Halcyon batteries a try, and bought 2 from Amazon here in the UK.  They look just like the ones Surapon has photographed, with the same boxes too.  They seem to work fine, but I only get the same number of shots as I do with the Canon model (~140).  I'm using the Canon charger - could this be why?

I don't know whether they have chips, but you do get 3 or 4 shots warning on the LCD before they run out.

You need to use their charger for thr halcyon to get the full charge.

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2014, 07:07:41 AM »

Thanks!  A pity - the Halcyon charger doesn't seem to be available in the UK.

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »

Thanks!  A pity - the Halcyon charger doesn't seem to be available in the UK.

Ah.  When I ordered mine I ordered the kit.  2 batts, charger and 12V vehicle cord to charge from car battery.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »

bauerman

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2014, 04:41:02 PM »

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
Ah.  When I ordered mine I ordered the kit.  2 batts, charger and 12V vehicle cord to charge from car battery.

Is this the kit you bought East Wind?

http://www.amazon.com/Halcyon-Lithium-Replacement-Battery-Charger/dp/B00C32SPDW/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393882687&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=halycon+battery+eos-m

That's it.  Be mindful that that everything runs down the battery faster (IS, Servo AF, Continuous AF, too long of a display off timeout).  It all adds up. 

The factory battery is 875mAh. These are 2200mAh.  More than double the capacity.

DRR

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 09:59:30 AM »

Dear DRR.
Surapon.

Went on a trip last week with the OEM Canon Battery and the Opteka battery.

I did not notice a huge improvement in battery life over OEM, as others may have. Both batteries were mixed use so I can't really say that I did much scientific testing - I did not notice any deficiencies from the Opteka battery either. Charged in the OEM charger, battery display on the LCD, etc. Worked very much like the OEM. They are both very similar weights, so I do wonder if the "2000 mAh" listed on the Opteka might be a bit of an exaggeration.

Regardless, if I needed another battery I'd buy another Opteka. I couldn't tell the difference over OEM and it was $13 vs $45.

bauerman

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »
The third party batteries I ordered arrived - pretty happy with the overall quality of the products and they were certainly well-packed.  Charging them now and ready to give them a try soon.....

daemorhedron

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2014, 12:06:18 AM »
I also ordered an Opteka battery through ebay and completely happy: works in canon charger, battery display on LCD and seems to last longer than original. Been in use for months now, still going strong.

Worked just as well in M as it does in M2, which comes as no surprise since they use same battery.

Highly recommended. =)

lovenix93

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »
I don't believe those are 2200 mAh and I don't like batteries which someone sells with different charger (usually they are NOT decoded and the camera does not show battery level).

I got 2 of this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Full-Coded-1250mAh-LP-E12-Battery-for-Canon-EOS-M-Camera-Show-Battery-Level-/170895464586?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item27ca29d88a
They are working fine, I don't see any difference with the original battery.
Hi, any news about dste batteries? I'm going to buy them. How are they going on?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »

lovenix93

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »
I don't believe those are 2200 mAh and I don't like batteries which someone sells with different charger (usually they are NOT decoded and the camera does not show battery level).

I got 2 of this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Full-Coded-1250mAh-LP-E12-Battery-for-Canon-EOS-M-Camera-Show-Battery-Level-/170895464586?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item27ca29d88a
They are working fine, I don't see any difference with the original battery.

Exactly. I have in hand 3 pieces of the same brand and one piece of their charger. Very nice indeed. But took a long time to come to Toronto.
Are they working good? I'm going to buy them

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2014, 04:01:53 PM »

Yes, Sir,  You are right on the target, Dear East Wind my friend.
Canon Battery charger =Out put   8.4 V , 540 mA= is for Canon battery 875 mAh
Wasabi Charger = 8.4 V, 500 mA= is for Wasabi battery 1100 mAh.
Halcyon charger = 8.4 v , 600mA = is for Halcyon Battery 2200 mAh

Have a great day, Sir.
Surapon
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:05:33 PM by surapon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2014, 04:01:53 PM »