August 29, 2014, 10:22:47 AM

Author Topic: Why the locked thread? Only wanted to follow up.  (Read 4300 times)

Gas am

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Why the locked thread? Only wanted to follow up.
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:01:43 PM »
Why was my last thread locked? I only wanted to post a possitive on canons reaction to my eos problems.

canon rumors FORUM

Why the locked thread? Only wanted to follow up.
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:01:43 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Why the locked thread? Only wanted to follow up.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 06:34:47 PM »
It was probably attracting too many objectionable comments and causing the mods too much work controlling them.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
It was probably attracting too many objectionable comments and causing the mods too much work controlling them.
I'm curious why it was locked too.... I didn't see any bad language or insults, and I think it is a good idea to talk about how the manufacturing defects (stuck pixels) are dealt with. It was an informative topic. Perhaps there were a few posts that were objectionable and deleted (I don't know.... just guessing), but if that was the case it is a pity that a few bad eggs ruined a good discussion.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Gas am

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »
Canon UK replied to my email concerning dead pixels.
'In reference to your email I understand you were received 2 EOS 700D which had a dead pixel using a long exposure. If it is the LCD screen which has a dead pixel that could indeed be the case. Allthough the lcd monitor is precise manufactured there may be a few dead pixels.

If you have imported the images onto your computer and they are showing dead pixels then the camera needs to be send in for service.

Once again, thank you for contacting Canon. We trust this information is of use to you. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact again.'

I guess the guy was not a UK rep, as his reply was a little bit awkward. But he clearly says send in the camera if I am seeing dead pixels.

I have had 4 700d bodies. All 4 have had pixel issues. My previous 1000d and 600d were fine. So my conclusion is that canon are shipping dodgy sensors or I am very unlucky.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 11:08:51 PM »
'In reference to your email I understand you were received 2 EOS 700D which had a dead pixel using a long exposure. If it is the LCD screen which has a dead pixel that could indeed be the case. Allthough the lcd monitor is precise manufactured there may be a few dead pixels.

If you have imported the images onto your computer and they are showing dead pixels then the camera needs to be send in for service.

Once again, thank you for contacting Canon. We trust this information is of use to you. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact again.'

I guess the guy was not a UK rep, as his reply was a little bit awkward. But he clearly says send in the camera if I am seeing dead pixels.

I have had 4 700d bodies. All 4 have had pixel issues. My previous 1000d and 600d were fine. So my conclusion is that canon are shipping dodgy sensors or I am very unlucky.
Are you sure they are Dead pixels (Black).
There are Stuck pixels (Red all the time), Dead pixels (Black), and Hot pixels which can only be seen after a long exposure, and are normal. 
If you post a image, perhaps someone can help, but right now, it sounds like you are not defining the issue correctly.
http://photographylife.com/dead-vs-stuck-vs-hot-pixels

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 12:16:30 AM »
I called bull on the last topic, after Gas am claimed Amazon had exchanged four copies of the same camera four times without question, and due to the lack of any sample images to back up the claims of problematic pixels. After that, it was locked.

I still don't think the discussion here can proceed without getting some visual evidence to clearly explain what the OP is talking about. I highly suspect Gas am is complaining about the very well known, expected phenomena of hot pixels that occur during longer exposures. However, without any kind of visual evidence, it is hard to say that for sure.

So, Gas am, PLEASE...post some sample 100% crops demonstrating the problem. We can't really help you without knowing exactly what it is you are talking about.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 06:07:14 AM »

Are you sure they are Dead pixels (Black).
There are Stuck pixels (Red all the time), Dead pixels (Black), and Hot pixels which can only be seen after a long exposure, and are normal. 
If you post a image, perhaps someone can help, but right now, it sounds like you are not defining the issue correctly.
http://photographylife.com/dead-vs-stuck-vs-hot-pixels

Thanks for the link. Very informative.
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 06:07:14 AM »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 06:29:28 AM »

There's quite a lattitude for sensor QA, I've had cameras with or without dead pixels over the years. It's a little bit like lenses...try before you buy. There's always a small difference between every lens and camera.
I have apair of 5DIII's and one has a few long exposure dead pixels...it's happens and it's really no biggie.

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 07:14:05 AM »
I called bull on the last topic, after Gas am claimed Amazon had exchanged four copies of the same camera four times without question

well have you any experience with amazon to think that?

i bought 6 monitors over the last few month, tested them for a week and send them back.
amazon did not ask questions and i got my money back after 3-4 days.

amazon never asked me any questions, and i send stuff back regulary.
as long as you buy stuff too you will not be on a blacklist either.

when your ratio "ordered" vs. "send back" is too high you might get an email.
but then you really have to be abusing it.
but 4 times.. nah.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:15:44 AM by Lichtgestalt »

Gas am

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 12:42:24 PM »
This is one example at 100%. The other problem pixels were red or blue.
Thanks for killing my first thread btw. This will be my last.
Cheers for all the genuine help ;)

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 02:16:24 PM »
This is one example at 100%. The other problem pixels were red or blue.
Thanks for killing my first thread btw. This will be my last.
Cheers for all the genuine help ;)

You were repeatedly asked for sample images, not just from me, and you kept ignoring it. When someone repeatedly refuses to provide visual evidence when asked, you can't help but get suspicious.

As for the image below, is it safe to assume that the X marks the spot where a hot pixel might be? If all you have is ONE hot pixel, you have absolutely nothing to complain about. Your image is a hell of a lot cleaner than most are during long exposures, as most result in dozens of hot pixels across the frame, of a whole variety of colors. Even if the entire x is "hot", that is incredibly easy to correct, and even permanently clean with the camera itself by mapping dust and spots. I don't think you have a problem...hot pixels are a fact of life with digital sensors at high ISO and/or long exposure.

I also encourage you to use Adobe Lightroom to process the RAW. LR deals with hot pixels very well...it is entirely possible the problem you are experiencing will simply disappear when demosaiced with LR.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4

Gas am

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »
The x is the in every long exposure. It is not me marking the spot. It's a cluster of dodgy pixels. I did not repeatedly ignore requests. I just didn't have the camera or images to hand. I am telling the truth when I said that amazon had no problems  in sending me 4 bodies. Do you doubt me? And if so, why? Canon have advised that I send them the body with faulty pixels. I have had 4 with faulty pixels.

Your attitude towards me is curious. I came here for help and instead got silenced.........
It seems that its not just me though, a quick google search revealed other silenced would be contributors to your forum.

I can't understand you having an open forum if you feel the need to berate and silence contributors.
 >:(

Gas am

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »
Please close this thread and delete my acc. It's wasting my time and for some reason making you suspicious.......

Oh btw plz stop smoking that stuff it's making you paranoid ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 04:22:10 PM »
Please close this thread and delete my acc. It's wasting my time and for some reason making you suspicious.......

Oh btw plz stop smoking that stuff it's making you paranoid ;)

And I thought the message before the last two was your last? The This is my last post argument; only works if you are actually able to pull it off :)

Btw: I thought it was sad that you wanted to leave this community because your last thread was pulled, a society which on my part has learned me so much, but hey...?
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »
The x is the in every long exposure. It is not me marking the spot. It's a cluster of dodgy pixels. I did not repeatedly ignore requests. I just didn't have the camera or images to hand. I am telling the truth when I said that amazon had no problems  in sending me 4 bodies. Do you doubt me? And if so, why? Canon have advised that I send them the body with faulty pixels. I have had 4 with faulty pixels.

Your attitude towards me is curious. I came here for help and instead got silenced.........
It seems that its not just me though, a quick google search revealed other silenced would be contributors to your forum.

I can't understand you having an open forum if you feel the need to berate and silence contributors.
 >:(

I see your using an iPad app of some kind, and I'm wondering if that may be part of the problem. It would be highly unusual for multiple cameras to exhibit the exact same problem like that, exceptionally unusual, so there is probably another explanation.  An x is an unusual formation. I'd be curious to see how the image renders if you used ACR+PS or LR.

BTW, I wasn't trying to get your thread shut down. Visual evidence, and a more active feedback loop with you actually providing some visual information and possibly trying some of our recommendations would have been far more conducive to solving your problem. And, sorry to be HONEST, but yeah, I think returning your camera FOUR times in a row over a tiny area of pixels is a little extreme. To be quite frank, I don't really believe it, but again...further investigation, with you providing visual information along the way, would have helped us zero in on the problem and solve it without requiring multiple returns and all that wasted time or money.

As for paranoid...your the one who claims you returned multiple cameras on a dime after freaking out over a small cluster of hot pixels (something ridiculously easy to map out and permanently eliminate)...and on an iPad app, of all things. Just sayin...  :P ::)
My Photography

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »