December 21, 2014, 07:57:07 AM

Author Topic: Tamron 150-600 Shootout via LensRentals.com  (Read 12525 times)

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: Tamron 150-600 Shootout via LensRentals.com
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »
“My summary would be that the selection between a Tamron 150-600, Canon 100-400 IS, and Sigma 50-500 OS should be made on criteria other than MTF 50. There are some minor differences in resolution, but nothing that makes one clearly better than another.
That sounds good ... looks like I'm gonna be selling my Sigma 150-500 OS and get this new Tammy within the next 30 days. Will request my ex-boss who is coming from Japan next month to get it for me.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »

tiggy@mac.com

• Power Shot G7X
  • 7D2
    • View Profile
    • Forest Metrix
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2014, 11:14:21 PM »
I'd like to add 2 points:

A:
We'll know much more in a month, but it does seem that technically, the lens does:
0- about all the 100-400 does with unnoticeably different IQ
1- doesn't require knowing how to play the trombone, which I never got the hang of in almost a year of 100-400 use
2- costs 35 percent less
3- goes out 100mm further without bad IQ loss
4- goes out another 100mm with what could be unacceptable IQ loss in most situations (this is the thing we need tested; such as comparisons to 100-400+TC or cropping. I can tell you a 1.4 TC made my 100-400 unfun. I'd like to see the Tamron at 560mm versus the 100-400 with 1.4 TC)
5- Has 5x the warrantee period
6- Satisfies the little voice in even the Canon partisan's head that says, "Yeah, this'll show Canon it can't take us for granted."

This is speaking as a 100-400 owner until 12 hours ago, when a woman from Portland, OR bought mine on eBay for 120 percent the cost of the new Tamron I just ordered from B&H. But the other point...

B:
Canon may or may not be intending to re-do the 100-400 with a Mark II. But if precedent holds, that $1700 lens would be a $2499 lens at least in 2014... UNTIL Tamron punched them in the price stratification gut. IF there was an imminent lens launch coming from Canon, I think there's a guy at Canon USA who is crapping ceramics right now. And his boss's boss is wondering what the heck else Tamron is going to launch, ruining another high-margin market for them.

This new lens is nice for those of us hoping to reach out and get a few wildlife shots we'd been missing, but it spells good old free market price inflection point competition for everyone else.

OK, bonus point:
C:
The camera market has been throttled in the past couple of years with cell phone makers finally putting decent little cameras that meet 90 percent of everyman's needs. If you are a corporate strategist at any of the camera/lens companies in Japan, you react to this by pushing lenses. More lenses, different lenses, better lenses. You go and sell those lenses to people and you get higher margins than the undependable camera market gets. This is not a long-term strategy in terms of industrial capacity allocation, but it's a prudent one for a couple years if you can't predict what's going to happen in 18 months. Concurrent with this is a lowering of the camera body price points, as you want to get as many people as possible into your platform so you can, yes, sell more lenses.

If what I formulated above is true, and the Canon folks are seeing it too, then you would see this future in 2014:
- A low-end camera would be launched with much of the functionality of the Rebel/70D (at least the video bits) to capture marketshare for future lens sales. This camera would be small, appealing to those who would otherwise forego an SLR for a phone.
- It would be bundled with a pancake lens to make it feel like a P&S form factor. There's probably some Canon USA product manager who is still steaming because he wanted to introduce same 10 months ago, but the others feared he'd cannibalize their sales, trying to convince themselves that the market would turn around. (And now that he's been established as correct, they'll give this project to one of the minds that didn't have that vision because the company culture rewards respect of seniority). I'm guessing this camera is the one coming in February.
- The P&S is pretty much dying, but Canon will just consolidate the numerous offerings, doing less price stratification and doing more loading up of features (the ones not adding incremental production costs) into the low end.
- The arbitrary use of APS-C sensors as a market splitter between enthusiasts and pros, maintained largely through the discrimination in software/processor versions, will make even less sense now. Pros need crop sensors. Some enthusiasts would move to Canon for a full frame sensor. The entire hierarchy of camera features and names versus sensors will change.
- The naming convention will employ three dimensions of variables: level of "pro-ness"; crop factor; and special feature (like we see sometimes with the appending character on a 1D body).
- Unfortunately, we will see more regional differences, as Canon Japan attempts to exploit market differences by giving the indigenous executives more product and pricing power. Their hope will be that they can maximize margins by taking advantage of instances where, for instance, there remain pockets of high-margin P&S sales. This will largely take the form of certain products not being available in certain markets - those local executives fearing the destruction of a still-alive existing market. To end users, it will seem nonsensical, and there will be many complaints on the forums.
- Canon will launch education and marketing efforts attempting to push a specific class of knowledge: those things you can do exclusively with slr lenses. You will see emphasis on subject isolation; super telephoto tips; focus capabilities unique to larger sensors; etc. They will de-emphasize issues that are common to iPhones and Rebels both.
- A Canon lens competitor will attempt to launch an Android SLR, and it will test disastrously. They may launch it anyways. A variant of this may come to pass: one of the desperate Android tablet producers may purchase one of the lens companies. This would have already happened had the lens manufacturers not been based in Japan, where such things are quite difficult.
- Canon will fall to the temptation to make its body-to-lens interface deliberately more opaque to third party lens makers. AF will be slower on non-brand lenses and there may even be a body introduced that isn't compatible with some key existing third party lenses. Canon will explore selling to third parties access to the API, but this will run into serious antitrust interest on the part of the US Department of Justice. 9 months later the Europeans would jump on that bandwagon too.

All this from reading the entrails of a single Tamron lens launch. You heard it here first. -Tig

And you go around to the rumor sites and you tell them that 2014 is the upcoming "year of the lens." Heard it here first.

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2014, 11:38:21 PM »

A:
We'll know much more in a month, but it does seem that technically, the lens does:
1- doesn't require knowing how to play the trombone, which I never got the hang of in almost a year of 100-400 use
2- costs 35 percent less
4- goes out another 100mm with what could be unacceptable IQ loss in most situations (this is the thing we need tested; such as comparisons to 100-400+TC or cropping. I can tell you a 1.4 TC made my 100-400 unfun. I'd like to see the Tamron at 560mm versus the 100-400 with 1.4 TC)
6- Satisfies the little voice in even the Canon partisan's head that says, "Yeah, this'll show Canon it can't take us for granted."

This is speaking as a 100-400 owner until 12 hours ago, when a woman from Portland, OR bought mine on eBay for 120 percent the cost of the new Tamron I just ordered from B&H. But the other point...

B:
Canon may or may not be intending to re-do the 100-400 with a Mark II. But if precedent holds, that $1700 lens would be a $2499 lens at least in 2014... UNTIL Tamron punched them in the price stratification gut. IF there was an imminent lens launch coming from Canon, I think there's a guy at Canon USA who is crapping ceramics right now. And his boss's boss is wondering what the heck else Tamron is going to launch, ruining another high-margin market for them.

This new lens is nice for those of us hoping to reach out and get a few wildlife shots we'd been missing, but it spells good old free market price inflection point competition for everyone else.

OK, bonus point:
C:
The camera market has been throttled in the past couple of years with cell phone makers finally putting decent little cameras that meet 90 percent of everyman's needs. If you are a corporate strategist at any of the camera/lens companies in Japan, you react to this by pushing lenses. More lenses, different lenses, better lenses. You go and sell those lenses to people and you get higher margins than the undependable camera market gets. This is not a long-term strategy in terms of industrial capacity allocation, but it's a prudent one for a couple years if you can't predict what's going to happen in 18 months. Concurrent with this is a lowering of the camera body price points, as you want to get as many people as possible into your platform so you can, yes, sell more lenses.

If what I formulated above is true, and the Canon folks are seeing it too, then you would see this future in 2014:
- A low-end camera would be launched with much of the functionality of the Rebel/70D (at least the video bits) to capture marketshare for future lens sales. This camera would be small, appealing to those who would otherwise forego an SLR for a phone.
- It would be bundled with a pancake lens to make it feel like a P&S form factor. There's probably some Canon USA product manager who is still steaming because he wanted to introduce same 10 months ago, but the others feared he'd cannibalize their sales, trying to convince themselves that the market would turn around. (And now that he's been established as correct, they'll give this project to one of the minds that didn't have that vision because the company culture rewards respect of seniority). I'm guessing this camera is the one coming in February.
- The P&S is pretty much dying, but Canon will just consolidate the numerous offerings, doing less price stratification and doing more loading up of features (the ones not adding incremental production costs) into the low end.
- The arbitrary use of APS-C sensors as a market splitter between enthusiasts and pros, maintained largely through the discrimination in software/processor versions, will make even less sense now. Pros need crop sensors. Some enthusiasts would move to Canon for a full frame sensor. The entire hierarchy of camera features and names versus sensors will change.
- The naming convention will employ three dimensions of variables: level of "pro-ness"; crop factor; and special feature (like we see sometimes with the appending character on a 1D body).
- Unfortunately, we will see more regional differences, as Canon Japan attempts to exploit market differences by giving the indigenous executives more product and pricing power. Their hope will be that they can maximize margins by taking advantage of instances where, for instance, there remain pockets of high-margin P&S sales. This will largely take the form of certain products not being available in certain markets - those local executives fearing the destruction of a still-alive existing market. To end users, it will seem nonsensical, and there will be many complaints on the forums.
- Canon will launch education and marketing efforts attempting to push a specific class of knowledge: those things you can do exclusively with slr lenses. You will see emphasis on subject isolation; super telephoto tips; focus capabilities unique to larger sensors; etc. They will de-emphasize issues that are common to iPhones and Rebels both.
- A Canon lens competitor will attempt to launch an Android SLR, and it will test disastrously. They may launch it anyways. A variant of this may come to pass: one of the desperate Android tablet producers may purchase one of the lens companies. This would have already happened had the lens manufacturers not been based in Japan, where such things are quite difficult.
- Canon will fall to the temptation to make its body-to-lens interface deliberately more opaque to third party lens makers. AF will be slower on non-brand lenses and there may even be a body introduced that isn't compatible with some key existing third party lenses. Canon will explore selling to third parties access to the API, but this will run into serious antitrust interest on the part of the US Department of Justice. 9 months later the Europeans would jump on that bandwagon too.

All this from reading the entrails of a single Tamron lens launch. You heard it here first. -Tig

And you go around to the rumor sites and you tell them that 2014 is the upcoming "year of the lens." Heard it here first.
Welcome to CR ... now that is one heck of a loooong first post I've ever read on CR  ... now could you please elaborate (oh God, no!), I did not mean elaborate, I meant, could you please summarize, what exactly it is that you want to tell us, coz I kinda lost you after the "crapp!ing ceramics" part ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:41:21 PM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 12:01:57 AM »
The main take away is that the Canon 100-400 is still the lens to beat.  I'd have liked to see something blow it away, but they all just try to match a very old lens design.  I suspect that any Canon replacement for the 100-400 will cost a lot for a relatively small improvement.  That's likely why we haven't seen one yet.
There does seem to be a lot of copy variation in the 100-400, mine is one of the newer ones, and is best at 400mm, which is where it gets used.  I really would not look forward to the extra weight for a lens that is basically the same.  I'm wondering how it compares at 560mm, which is my 100-400 with a TC.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 12:37:02 AM »

A:
2- costs 35 percent less

B:

OK, bonus point:
C:

Welcome to CR ... now that is one heck of a loooong first post I've ever read on CR  ... now could you please elaborate (oh God, no!), I did not mean elaborate, I meant, could you please summarize, what exactly it is that you want to tell us, coz I kinda lost you after the "crapp!ing ceramics" part ;D

I had to use the find tool to look up where the "ceramics" part was...
EOS 5DIII, EOS 6D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 12:38:08 AM »

A:
2- costs 35 percent less

B:

OK, bonus point:
C:

I had to use the find tool to look up where the "ceramics" part was...
;D ;D ;D

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 01:44:43 AM »
Helpful, but the two things I really wanted to know weren't answered:  How effective the VC is while panning, and how much it improves at 600mm when you stop down to f/7.1 and f/8.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fqicai.fengniao.com%2F425%2F4259287_all.html

Whatever that is, it triggered AVG for a web-based exploit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 01:44:43 AM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 03:17:02 AM »
One of the things I like about the Tamron is the zoom range... Two of the most popular L glass lenses are the 28-70 and the 70-200's... a 100-400 has an awful lot of overlap.... the 150-600 does not.  I'd like to see Canon change the range of the 100-400 to something like 200-500 and with the zoom range being reduced from 4X to 2.5X there could be a huge jump in IQ.

Canon already has a 200-560 f/4-5.6 with superb IQ except that it costs $12,000. Oops.

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 03:19:19 AM »
Helpful, but the two things I really wanted to know weren't answered:  How effective the VC is while panning, and how much it improves at 600mm when you stop down to f/7.1 and f/8.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fqicai.fengniao.com%2F425%2F4259287_all.html

What does the chart represent? sharpness?

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 03:20:27 AM »
  I'd like to see Canon change the range of the 100-400 to something like 200-500 and with the zoom range being reduced from 4X to 2.5X there could be a huge jump in IQ.

Didn't they do a 200-400?
Yes, but instead of a $12,000 fast lens, something slower and around $2000 would fill a nice hole in the lineup....

But then they wouldn't sell as many $12,000 lenses, would they, because people would opt for the $2000 one instead as the IQ of the $2000 one couldn't be worse than the 100-400 or Tamron's 200-400 and thus would probably be closer to that of the $12000 lens. Canon have boxed themselves into a corner here.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2014, 04:06:32 AM »

If I understand it correctly, it's your typical Imatest result like on Photozone. The ordinate is LW/PH.

I can't tell if it's center and edges, or center and corners, or center and average. But they go on pretty close, so it doesn't really matter. It's just good :)

I think they used a 5D MK III. As an approximation based on other available imatest data, 600mm f/8 is very, very close to the 100-400 L at 400mm f/5.6. Only very slightly worse, if you consider the error margin.

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2014, 04:08:30 AM »

If I understand it correctly, it's your typical Imatest result like on Photozone. The ordinate is LW/PH.

I can't tell if it's center and edges, or center and corners, or center and average. But they go on pretty close, so it doesn't really matter. It's just good :)

I think they used a 5D MK III. As an approximation based on other available imatest data, 600mm f/8 is very, very close to the 100-400 L at 400mm f/5.6. Only very slightly worse, if you consider the error margin.
I see ... thanks

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2014, 05:14:36 AM »
Does anyone have a link to measured MTFs for the Canon 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTC at 600mm? (Not the Canon published calculated ones).
5D III, EOS-M, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, 100-400 II, Sigma 10-20, EOS-M, 18-55, f/2 22.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2014, 05:14:36 AM »

Maximilian

• Canon 7D MK II
  • The dark side - I've been there
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2014, 05:35:01 AM »
Roger and Aaron ... have completed their resolution testing of a host of supertelephoto zoom lenses.
The Sigma 50-500 OS and Canon 100-400 were the two big competitors to the new Tamron 150-600 VC
Well... really impressing performance of the Tamron 150-600 VC.

As mentioned by others, of course as long as we have no impressions of AF and VC and the quality variation this is only half of the story.
But I hope that this is enough pressure to Canon to release some new tele lenses, hopefully soon.

Having a 100-400L already, for me this is not so exiting, as I would not improve in IQ.
But for others not having that reach...
I personally would still prefer the Canon, as it is lighter and smaller.
And thinking about the price of polarization and protection filter with 95 mm...
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 06:36:19 AM »

Having a 100-400L already, for me this is not so exiting, as I would not improve in IQ.
But for others not having that reach...

Well, you don't have it either, unless your specific copy of the 100-400 L goes up to 600mm  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 06:36:19 AM »