July 28, 2014, 07:41:42 PM

Author Topic: FUJIFILM'S latest, X-T1 ?  (Read 6521 times)

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: FUJIFILM'S latest, X-T1 ?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »
As I said at the beginning, I still love my 5DIII and have no plans to "jump systems."  But I am going to "split time" between the Canon and the Fuji--especially for a lot of my travel stuff (the Fuji is so much lighter and more convenient for traveling).

Which Fuji lens are you using it with? The new Fujinon 56mm f/1.2 looks very cool, and Fuji really seems to listen to their customers for future body and lens improvements.

When I had the Sony A7R here, I remember looking at my shelf full of Canon L glass and thinking, "Wouldn't it be awesome if Canon would make a serious mirrorless body with IQ similar to Fuji, so that I could use all my Canon glass with AF intact, without the hassle and degradation from adapters?"  Canon, can you take your head out of the EOS-M2 pile and listen to your customers?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 12:34:05 AM »
Well, I got my mitts on one the other week.
I really like the size and the way it fits in my hands but I do find a lot of little ergonomic niggles bothersome.
Mostly, those little buttons can be vexing and the EV comp dial is a bit too stiff to easily thumb-it while it's up to your eye without using your shutter release finger to assist rotating the dial.  Rear control wheel is a little onstructed by a body ridge and the back AF button is similarly awkward with the comfy thumb grip in the way.
Viewfinder is great and the better lenses AF faster than some of my lower end SLR systems.
I'll likely get one simply because I can easily adapt all my old Nikon, Pentax, M42 and other lenses onto it too.

If the buttons aren't improved by then, I can see myself machining and gluing little add-ons to them to make them easier to operate.  It would only take about 0.5mm more height on most of them to make them much easier to use, maybe almost 1mm on the AFL button.

Steve

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 04:09:34 PM »
Supposedly the EV dial is stiff because a lot of people complained it was too easy to bump accidentally on the XE1/2. 

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Supposedly the EV dial is stiff because a lot of people complained it was too easy to bump accidentally on the XE1/2.
I've heard that.  I've got XE1s, I think the comp dial on them's just right for stiffness.
I've bumped my 7D's mode dial far more often with worse results.

How to fix the X-T1's basic ergonomics:
  • taller buttons for easier press
  • easier to turn EV comp dial
  • toss the lock button on the ISO dial and make it as stiff as the EV comp dial was
  • swap the shutter speed dial for a PASM mode dial with a bunch of custom modes without a lock button
  • rear control wheel should protrude slightly more
  • re-sculpt thumb-grip for easier access to AFL button

Having to set aperture to far end to activate other modes is just plain goofy, even when you do get used to it but I guess that's a functional compromise made when using an aperture ring which many of us as just as content to adjust with a control wheel instead.

Steve

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 01:17:41 AM »
I've heard that.  I've got XE1s, I think the comp dial on them's just right for stiffness.
I've bumped my 7D's mode dial far more often with worse results.

I agree, I've never had problems with my X-E1 EV dial either.  Maybe it happens more on the X-E2? *shrug*

How to fix the X-T1's basic ergonomics:
  • swap the shutter speed dial for a PASM mode dial with a bunch of custom modes without a lock button

Having to set aperture to far end to activate other modes is just plain goofy, even when you do get used to it but I guess that's a functional compromise made when using an aperture ring which many of us as just as content to adjust with a control wheel instead.

The other stuff on the list I can't speak to but these two complaints are kind of against one of the core reasons someone would want to buy a Fuji X series camera.  One of the main attractions (besides the killer crop sensor and some nice glass) is the old style manual control layout.  I personally don't use the shutter speed dial all that much but I think its pretty cool that the way to set modes on the camera is a physical reminder of the functions themselves, ie setting the shutter speed to "A" puts you in Av, turning the aperture ring to "A" sets you to Tv (or auto if the shutter dial is in "A") and you can switch between the two on the fly just by choosing a setting.  Its pretty annoying when I forget that I'm set to Av on my 1dIV, go to change my shutter speed and send my aperture to like f22 by accident.  Not something you can do if your aperture dial also controls the aperture dependent mode.  I think its pretty elegant.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 12:24:59 AM »
where that elegance breaks down is when using a lens without an aperture ring... you have to spin the control wheel quite a bit to get over to the far end that allows the mode change.
Otherwise, yes, it's a good concept and it certainly works well to slow _me_ down to be a little more careful about taking the shot.  Which seems to me a bit like what the Nikon Df was trying to accomplish.  Not a bad thing, but it can feel like a handicap if your used to a mode control (dial) you can change in a fraction of a second.

skullyspice

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photojensen.com
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 10:41:40 PM »
Cheeseburger shot with the X-T1 today. really enjoying this camera, especially being the jpeg shooter that I am. won't replace my 5D3 but they make an excellent pair.
5D3, 1vHS, 1nRS, F-1N x6, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X100
50 F1.2L, 100 F2.8L Macro, 200 F2.8L, 40 F2.8, 17-40 F4L, 24-105 F4L, 70-300 F4-5.6L
www.photojensen.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 10:41:40 PM »

Steve

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2014, 09:15:54 PM »
where that elegance breaks down is when using a lens without an aperture ring... you have to spin the control wheel quite a bit to get over to the far end that allows the mode change.
Otherwise, yes, it's a good concept and it certainly works well to slow _me_ down to be a little more careful about taking the shot.  Which seems to me a bit like what the Nikon Df was trying to accomplish.  Not a bad thing, but it can feel like a handicap if your used to a mode control (dial) you can change in a fraction of a second.

Ah, fair enough.  I don't have a lens without the aperture ring so it's never been something I've dealt with.

skullyspice

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photojensen.com
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2014, 12:36:51 AM »
added the new 56mm 1.2 to the X-T1 today. super sharp and super bokeh.
50 F1.2L, 100 F2.8L Macro, 200 F2.8L, 40 F2.8, 17-40 F4L, 24-105 F4L, 70-300 F4-5.6L
www.photojensen.com

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2014, 05:00:36 AM »
Ordered my X-T1 some weeks ago, but FUJIFILM South Africa doesn't have any stock left ... all sold out!  :'( So I'm using this time to sell ALL my Canon gear for maximum profit.  ;D
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2014, 01:12:30 AM »
I've been too busy with boring stuff that needs doing to partake of any deliberate shooting for months now.  As such, I also find it much easier to carry one small bag with a pair of Xe1s + xt1 with 35/1.4, 18-55 and 50-230 lenses mounted plus a 27mm in the pocket. ONE light little bag instead of a boot full of gear I used to carry and I'm adequately covered for any impromtu shooting opportunity along my route. All my PentNikCanon gear now sits around a lot more than it used to.  I hope this trend continues, it's a lot faster to pack and unpack now. :)

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 01:16:35 AM »
.. time to sell ALL my Canon gear for maximum profit.  ;D

I'm thinking of cutting my losses and dumping my pricier SLR gear while it still has good resale value.
The mirrorless trend is a wave I'm gonna ride. Got the Fuji, looking at Sony and considering Olympus.  Sorta hoping Pentax will make a 24MP APS-C ML with IBIS but a short flange distance so I can adapt plenty of old glass and have stabilization.  IBIS is the only thing I find I miss on the Fuji when using old Pentax and screw-mount lenses.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 01:34:59 AM »

Beautiful shot.

If you have time, would you pls show a photo or two of X-t1 + 56mm f1.2 combo ::)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:16:09 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 01:34:59 AM »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 07:56:56 AM »
... a pair of Xe1s + xt1 with 35/1.4, 18-55 and 50-230 lenses mounted plus a 27mm in the pocket.

Ah, just the person to ask ... I'm on the fence whether to get the 35mm or the 27mm lens (only have enough dinero for either, not both). The 27mm seems a very nice, compact lens for everyday, carry-everywhere use; whereas the 35mm is, well, the 35mm lens.

Also, the 50-230mm or 55-200mm question ...
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

skullyspice

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photojensen.com
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »

Beautiful shot.

If you have time, would you pls show a photo or two of X-t1 + 56mm f1.2 combo ::)

sure thing!
www.photojensen.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »