July 29, 2014, 12:12:44 AM

Author Topic: EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release  (Read 54408 times)

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2011, 07:31:56 AM »
Mixed feelings...

For one... Looks like a stellar job.  I know some are disappointed at the MP size, but I am in wait and see, I think 18 MP can be fine especially if the IQ is improved.  Granted I am just shooting with a T2i and have been stuck in upgrade hell quandary of 5dII or 7D for 6+ months.

I am excited for those at the level who have been waiting for this camera and can afford the biscuit.  Looks likes some great new technology, I think they nailed it with the dual Digic-5s and then a Digic 4 for metering and AF.  Sorry you have to wait 5 months...

Now a bit on edge to see what else is in the pipe line.  Have been holding off on pulling the 5dII or 7D trigger for the potential for new models of either, or maybe we get a 6D entry FF. 

But regardless, Think this is a nice new flagship and not opposed to Canon keeping the MP down if the IQ can make some leaps.  In the end, I think the MP is a factor speed and the fps they targeted at 12 played a role.  Wonder if in the future we start seeing hybrids that do something like 30MP singleshot, and then a greatly reduced 18MP or something there abouts for speedy bursts. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2011, 07:31:56 AM »

catz

« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2011, 07:33:54 AM »
How far away are we from an autofocus video canon dslr?  I was really hoping for that on this camera... but it looks like no.

Continuous autofocus is quite unnecessary unless you like amateurish focus-pumping action like on consumer camcorders (and maybe you also like to pan the picture so much that your viewers will need to take pills to not vomit or have to look actively elsewhere). There is no continuous autofocus in PL-mount cameras either, because there are no electrical connections to the lens at all. Professional cinema and video production is done with manual focus.

I would be happy with 1D X if I would have over 6 k to put into one. However, that's a quite a lot of money. Waiting  for 5D mark III or 6D with hopefully the same video features.

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2011, 07:36:16 AM »
There goes my tax return :), I will be buying this camera that is barring any glaring flaws!!

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2011, 07:38:25 AM »
Bye bye Canon, hello Nikon.

You won't be seeing me here anymore, good luck with new Prosumer 18mp camera kids, and keep an eye on EBay, all my lenses etc will be there soon.
LOL you are jumping ship at the wrong time, but its ok. Go shoot nikon with and process the files on an AMD computer just to show the world you will not conform :)

sparda79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tingkap Vistaku
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2011, 07:39:30 AM »
Dual DIGIC 5+ image processors capable of delivering approximately 17 times more processing speed than DIGIC 4

Having the same MP as the 7D, shouldn't this camera have say... 17 times faster burst rate?
 ;D Now... before anybody shoot me, let me make it clear that I'm not asking for a 136 fps. I personally think 14fps is just right. I just like to know how the 17 times faster processor being utilized in this camera.
5D Mark III
24-105L | 50L | 100L | 70-200L II | 2x III

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2011, 07:42:05 AM »
I just like to know how the 17 times faster processor being utilized in this camera.

I think one of the features the processing power is used for is (optional) lens correction, chromatic abberation and stuff. Many people that shoot raw will probably want to correct that in post processing instead though.

Tarrum

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2011, 07:44:58 AM »
Dual DIGIC 5+ image processors capable of delivering approximately 17 times more processing speed than DIGIC 4

Having the same MP as the 7D, shouldn't this camera have say... 17 times faster burst rate?
 ;D Now... before anybody shoot me, let me make it clear that I'm not asking for a 136 fps. I personally think 14fps is just right. I just like to know how the 17 times faster processor being utilized in this camera.

Its sensor is 1.6x larger. It shoots 12fps and even though 4 may not sound as a big difference, it is. It also takes care of chromatic aberration and distortion.

Though it does seem a bit funny, 17x faster, and there are two of them..The Digic IV takes care of metering systems, but hey, as long as it's a good camera :)

Edit: Canon states Digic V+ is 3x faster than Digic V. If they mean the P&S's cameras I understand, but I dont recall seeing V in a DSLR??

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2011, 07:44:58 AM »

Flake

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2011, 07:46:06 AM »
Aside from the poor auto focus coverage (centre frame only) it's dissapointing to find that Wireless File transfer and GPS are not built in, but are optional extra modules.  Even compact cameras can manage to build GPS into the camera and now there's no good reason that WFT couldn't be.  The two modules are pretty small, but only one can be used at a time.  It looks like Canon don't want to lose the revenue from what has been an eye wateringly overpriced accessory, so it's unlikely we'll see these integrated in other lesser cameras.

DanD

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »
congrats you where right on! will you make a give away 1DX contest :)))

jouster

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2011, 07:59:20 AM »
Do people really want 30 megapixel cameras? What for? Your hard drive will just fill up twice as quick. A noise free clean 18 megapixel photograph could be upsized if that was really necessary. All I need to do now is decide on whether or not to save for one of these or wait for a 6D thingie. In camera multi exposure technology is exciting.

Hard drives are dirt cheap. Processing time doesn't matter unless you take photos for a living. Just wait longer.

I agree that there's a decision to be made for many, but I think few in the end will drop $6800 unless their mortgage depends on their pics.

Funny how so many people championed a low-MP solution then disappeared when it was released! Overall, though, I'm a little surprised that Canon seems to be ceding the high-MP solution to MF and Pentax, and possibly Nikon.

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »
Aside from the poor auto focus coverage (centre frame only)

I'm no expert, but isn't this limitation a pure technical one? That is there is too poor sharpness, or too steep angle of incoming light or something far to the sides so it is really not technically feasible to do? That is full coverage is asking for the impossible?

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2011, 08:18:22 AM »
Bye bye Canon, hello Nikon.

You won't be seeing me here anymore, good luck with new Prosumer 18mp camera kids, and keep an eye on EBay, all my lenses etc will be there soon.
LOL you are jumping ship at the wrong time, but its ok. Go shoot nikon with and process the files on an AMD computer just to show the world you will not conform :)

Hey, what's wrong with my PhenomIIx6?  :P

Anyone who jumps ship before march (or at least before the major-review sites have had their go at the 1DX *and* the D800 or D4) are just going to lose out...

ps, what is the name of your ebay profile? i'll buy  :D
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

photosites

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »

I think it is unlikely that the Image Processor is the limiting factor for frame rate. Mirror, shutter, Card/Buffer IO, etc could well be. My guess is that the IO buffer is a critical aspect for fps and shot to shot time.

Note that RAW shooting with larger files is almost always the same or slower than JPEG, although less processing is done. For JPEG, although you need to do all the conversion, compression, processing, your files are smaller and the speed is faster. So my guess is that IO Buffer plays a significant role in fps. To see the pure image processing capabilities, you need to look at JPEG, where smaller files results in less IO but more image processing is happening.

The fact that this camera can do 14fps JPEG while performing more calculations in terms of CA correction,  iTR AF, AF Tracking, etc, shows its processing prowess. Also note that processing 61 AF points instead of the 19 from 7D adds a multiplier to the processing requirements of the AF features I have mentioned as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »

NotABunny

« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2011, 08:30:54 AM »
RAWs at (minimum) ISO 12800 (in all lighting conditions)... pretty please ;;)

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »
"3rd Nov guess" and win a give-away-take-away too? ::)

40MP MF, no AA, 9.5+K, new EF mount for all unhappy with the cleanest Canon 18 MP ever.
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »