November 28, 2014, 01:15:46 PM

Author Topic: EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release  (Read 57815 times)

sb

Re: EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2011, 11:23:49 AM »
Bye bye Canon, hello Nikon.

You won't be seeing me here anymore, good luck with new Prosumer 18mp camera kids, and keep an eye on EBay, all my lenses etc will be there soon.

LOL Sorry, you'll just have to learn to frame your shots properly to begin with, instead of relying on cropping a 50MP file. Or yes, you can switch to Nikon and work with 12MP out of spite LOLOL Priceless

I suspect macfly is referring to the rumored 36 MP D800.  If you do a little digging into macfly instead of bashing him (which I admit, I was guilty of in the past), you'll find he's a pro with an impressive portfolio, and often shoots with medium format bodies in addition to dSLRs.  He appears to have a real need for higher resolution for print ads (thus the MF cameras), and was clearly hoping for a higher MP body from Canon, from a professional perspective.

Having said that, for me, 18 MP is just fine...

Fair enough, but calling a camera "prosumer" because it has 18MP, or jumping ship on a rumor without any other concrete information doesn't exactly sound like something a professional would do :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2011, 11:23:49 AM »

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2011, 11:25:27 AM »

You won't be seeing me here anymore, good luck with new Prosumer 18mp camera kids, and keep an eye on EBay, all my lenses etc will be there soon.

LOL Sorry, you'll just have to learn to frame your shots properly to begin with, instead of relying on cropping a 50MP file. Or yes, you can switch to Nikon and work with 12MP out of spite LOLOL Priceless

I suspect macfly is referring to the rumored 36 MP D800.  If you do a little digging into macfly instead of bashing him (which I admit, I was guilty of in the past), you'll find he's a pro with an impressive portfolio, and often shoots with medium format bodies in addition to dSLRs.  He appears to have a real need for higher resolution for print ads (thus the MF cameras), and was clearly hoping for a higher MP body from Canon, from a professional perspective.

I don't think it's the need for mexapixels that is the cause for bashing, it's the smugness in the "prosumer" comment that leads to bashing.  If he'd said "I'm disappointed because I could really use higher MP" I don't think anyone would think the less of him.

Justin

« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2011, 11:27:01 AM »

Fair enough, but calling a camera "prosumer" because it has 18MP, or jumping ship on a rumor without any other concrete information doesn't exactly sound like something a professional would do :-)

To be fair the rumor is 99.9% confirmed.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »
Exactly my point. Canon's roadmap is all banged up. For those of us including macfly with thousands if not tens of thousands invested in glass this matters incredibly.

Why?  If you have thousands or tens of thousands invested in Canon lenses (I do), you probably have a decent camera body (or more than one), right?  If Canon mucks with their roadmap or decides to stop producing dSLRs altogether, how exactly does that affect the camera(s) and lens(es) you are using today?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2011, 11:36:37 AM »
Exactly my point. Canon's roadmap is all banged up. For those of us including macfly with thousands if not tens of thousands invested in glass this matters incredibly.

Why?  If you have thousands or tens of thousands invested in Canon lenses (I do), you probably have a decent camera body (or more than one), right?  If Canon mucks with their roadmap or decides to stop producing dSLRs altogether, how exactly does that affect the camera(s) and lens(es) you are using today?

If i can take this one step forward, like you I'm pretty heavily invested with canon and have been for most my pro career... So what if canon messes with the roadmap as long as they still pump out quality cameras to use with our canon gear?  Now if they start issuing dog after dog, then I would start the case for alarm, but this is a fine camera for maybe 90% of all pro and amateur photogs with a budget for such a camera.  I'm sure this would be an upgrade for most pro photographers except for maybe those digi back photographers... =)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »

If i can take this one step forward, like you I'm pretty heavily invested with canon and have been for most my pro career... So what if canon messes with the roadmap as long as they still pump out quality cameras to use with our canon gear?  Now if they start issuing dog after dog, then I would start the case for alarm, but this is a fine camera for maybe 90% of all pro and amateur photogs with a budget for such a camera.  I'm sure this would be an upgrade for most pro photographers except for maybe those digi back photographers... =)

Excatly.  Ultimately, I think a lot of the complaints I've read so far in this thread stem from disappointment that Canon didn't release the 'perfect' camera.  Of course, 'perfect' is different for every photographer.  Sure, we'd all like a 40 MP FF sensor with clean ISO 12800, 12 fps, great ergonomics, and costing less than $2K.  Wake up and smell reality.  Canon seems to have answered the concerns of many people in their marketplace - and do keep in mind that the 'prosumer,' the 'advanced amateur,' and the 'I plan to get a FF camera sometime next year' crowds, while they likely make up a majority of the posters on this forum, are not part of the market segment at which the 1D X is aimed. 

If the above is correct and Nikon really does release a 36 MP FF camera, will Canon fail to answer?  After they've already demonstrated that they can cram 120 MP into an APS-H format?  So, I expect a 40 MP FF Canon will come along in the future.  They everyone can bitch about how slow the frame rate is, or how crippled the AF system is, etc.

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »
So when will we see the DXs ?? Logic says its there. DS3 is still the highest rated camera on the Canon official site.  Also European Pricing suggests that putting the mk4 at 4000 euro and the ds3 still at 6000.

So funny just realized that the ds3 is not on the UK site but still on the Spanish site.... hmmmmm

They just updated the order on the USA site.  The 1D X is now first, followed by the 1Ds III, etc.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #127 on: October 18, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »
If the above is correct and Nikon really does release a 36 MP FF camera, will Canon fail to answer?  After they've already demonstrated that they can cram 120 MP into an APS-H format?  So, I expect a 40 MP FF Canon will come along in the future.  They everyone can bitch about how slow the frame rate is, or how crippled the AF system is, etc.

Haha... so true... you cant please everyone... dont forget about the people who will complain about diffraction limits, too much MP, etc...  :o
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #128 on: October 18, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »
So when will we see the DXs ?? Logic says its there. DS3 is still the highest rated camera on the Canon official site.  Also European Pricing suggests that putting the mk4 at 4000 euro and the ds3 still at 6000.

So funny just realized that the ds3 is not on the UK site but still on the Spanish site.... hmmmmm

They just updated the order on the USA site.  The 1D X is now first, followed by the 1Ds III, etc.

I just checked the usa site and it's #4 on the list below the 1D mark III and above the 5d 2.  ?

steven63

« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
First, I think this is a great release.  Second, even though Canon says it's a merger of their two pro level systems - they DID NOT say it replaces both of those systems. 

Look carefully at their video release in support of this camera - it's in Monaco with Frits Van Eldik who is a sports photographer.  Clearly this marketing is for that genre of pro-photographers. 

I still see room for a studio camera - a 1dxs.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »
I just checked the usa site and it's #4 on the list below the 1D mark III and above the 5d 2.  ?

Hit refresh on your browser window - that fixed it for me...

zimmy1

« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2011, 12:12:03 PM »
I think this is the Pro Body that Canon will use for at least the next 4 or 5 years. They have given us a low light speed demon that will serve most. Remember good people, Canon only needs to drop a Hi-Res sensor in this exact same camera body to fulfill the needs of the photographers who want, need or just plain desire a camera with a large megapixel count. Call it the EOS-1D XR for extreme resolution. Everyone is happy! 'Cept for us poor folks!

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »

Perhaps we're looking at two different pages or, as Neuroanatomist suggested, you need to hit Refresh.  Here's the link to the page I was viewing:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »

BlackAdder

« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2011, 12:17:10 PM »
I don't understand why some people continue to argue the point that the 1Ds and 1D have merged.  Is it because they are hanging onto hope? 

I honestly see this as a good sign for those who need high MP yet not all of the bells and whistles of the 1DX.  Why?  Because I see this as a possible future for Canon DSLRs.

1DX:  A sports and photojournalist camera that is the flagship for Canon DSLRs. $6800 (Correct my price if I'm wrong, I thought I read that in the release.)
5DMIII:  This is where your big MP, FF camera comes in at.  What were we thinking, 24-32?  $3500-$3800
6D:  Rumors have been out about a cheaper FF option.  Why not put your 1DX sensor in this?  $2800-$3000
7D/7DII:  Continue on with the line as it is a beautiful seller and great camera: $1800-$2100
60D/70D:  Last I heard, the 60D was easily outselling the T3i.  I'm guessing the line continues:  $1000

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2011, 12:18:31 PM »
Late to the party...

But anyways, I see this as a change in Canon's approach to the pro's market, and moving closer to Nikon's version.

Effectively, the 1DX pretty much fit the D3 category - the all-rounder FF pro camera.

So if the analogy works, there should be room for the D3H (high speed model), D3X (high MP model), and D3s (the revised all-rounder model) equivalent.

I guess it's good news for landscape shooters moving into the pro-camera field for not having to dish out the US$7000+ for the FF pro-body. However, I wish the price for the 1DX could stay in the US$5,000 range...

Well, the good news is that the 1DX can use the same battery as the 1D4 (LP-E4), even though it has another battery (LP-E4N).
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2011, 12:18:31 PM »