August 02, 2014, 02:34:15 AM

Author Topic: EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release  (Read 54520 times)

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
Samples from the EOS 1DX:-
http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/1dx/samples/index.html

>:( though a bit too small..

Notice the 8-15mm EF lens there? :)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »

steven63

« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2011, 12:24:19 PM »
Samples from the EOS 1DX:-
http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/1dx/samples/index.html

>:( though a bit too small..

Notice the 8-15mm EF lens there? :)

Image 3 is iso 12800.  Looks yummy.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2011, 12:28:16 PM »
So when will we see the DXs ?? Logic says its there. DS3 is still the highest rated camera on the Canon official site.  Also European Pricing suggests that putting the mk4 at 4000 euro and the ds3 still at 6000.

So funny just realized that the ds3 is not on the UK site but still on the Spanish site.... hmmmmm

They just updated the order on the USA site.  The 1D X is now first, followed by the 1Ds III, etc.

I just checked the usa site and it's #4 on the list below the 1D mark III and above the 5d 2.  ?

Perhaps we're looking at two different pages or, as Neuroanatomist suggested, you need to hit Refresh.  Here's the link to the page I was viewing:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras

Weird... the page I had open was the same page, and no amount of refreshing was changing the positioning (tried in safari, firefox and IE), but the link you gave had it in 1st... whatever... I see what youre talking about now... I think this could be an interesting 12 months for us photographers..
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Paul D

« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »
Here's my perspective on this camera:

http://paul-d.tv/blog/2011/10/18/canon-eos-1d-x/

suburbia

« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »
Interesting slightly more depth overview and marketing video on the Canon Europe site:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained.do

sandro

« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »
does canon usually announce a camera 5 months before the release date?? :-\

Justin

« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2011, 12:56:36 PM »
Exactly my point. Canon's roadmap is all banged up. For those of us including macfly with thousands if not tens of thousands invested in glass this matters incredibly.

Why?  If you have thousands or tens of thousands invested in Canon lenses (I do), you probably have a decent camera body (or more than one), right?  If Canon mucks with their roadmap or decides to stop producing dSLRs altogether, how exactly does that affect the camera(s) and lens(es) you are using today?

Of course, it doesn't. It affects my buying decisions tomorrow. I dont' know about you but I buy a new iphone every 2 years. I buy a new mac computer every three years or so. I buy a new car, well I wait longer for that. These are tools. I want the better tools to take my photography to a better place (presumably). The better tool for me is a smaller body, higher pixel density sensor camera, that has a weak AA filter (guessing Canon has put in a strong one to improve moire). I own the best canon camera already for this job. We're all assuming that Nikon is about to top this spec in a significant way. Waiting for Canon's response. 1Dx ain't it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:59:42 PM by Justin »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2011, 12:56:36 PM »

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
I don't understand why some people continue to argue the point that the 1Ds and 1D have merged.  Is it because they are hanging onto hope? 

I honestly see this as a good sign for those who need high MP yet not all of the bells and whistles of the 1DX.  Why?  Because I see this as a possible future for Canon DSLRs.

1DX:  A sports and photojournalist camera that is the flagship for Canon DSLRs. $6800 (Correct my price if I'm wrong, I thought I read that in the release.)
5DMIII:  This is where your big MP, FF camera comes in at.  What were we thinking, 24-32?  $3500-$3800
6D:  Rumors have been out about a cheaper FF option.  Why not put your 1DX sensor in this?  $2800-$3000
7D/7DII:  Continue on with the line as it is a beautiful seller and great camera: $1800-$2100
60D/70D:  Last I heard, the 60D was easily outselling the T3i.  I'm guessing the line continues:  $1000

I have to agree.  With the way that the 5D II ate into the sales of the 1Ds III, because the sensors were so similar, I figured Canon had to do something to differentiate them for the next release.

It will certainly be interesting to see how things shake out with the 5D II replacement.  I'd certainly like to see some of the 1D X features, such as Multiple Exposure (I don't expect 9 exposures, of course) and chromatic aberration correction.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

Joes Dad

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • David Huff Photography
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2011, 01:04:54 PM »
This is evolutionary, perhaps not revolutionary, but certainly a move forward.  I will purchase one in March.  Makes me wonder though - what is happening in the Netherlands later today?
1D X | 1D Mark IV | 5D Mark III
500 f/4L | 300 f/2.8L | 200 f/2.0L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | 85 f/1.2L II | 100 f/2.8L M IS | MP-E 65 f/2.8 | TS-E 24 f/3.5L II | 24 f/1.4L | 14 f/2.8L | 40 f/2.8

alipaulphotography

« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2011, 01:10:33 PM »
The camera sounds awesome. It is however a little out of price range for the moment. I am considering it as a 'good investment' though. I hope that the 5D MK III keeps the features relating to picture quality at least!

Less FPS, no built in battery grip and weaker autofocus are what I expect from the 5D mk III.

Fingers crossed.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »
a weak AA filter (guessing Canon has put in a strong one to improve moire)

Not sure about that - in CPN Europe's 8-page document (Technologies Explained – EOS-1D X), they state, "The combination of sensor and dual “DIGIC 5+” processors also greatly reduces colour fringing and moiré for professional quality footage."  Canon USA's features tab states, "The CMOS sensor's new drive system significantly increases image processor performance, reducing color artifacts and moiré."  To me, that sounds like digital removal of the moiré artifacts.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2011, 01:19:23 PM »
Late to the party...

But anyways, I see this as a change in Canon's approach to the pro's market, and moving closer to Nikon's version.

Effectively, the 1DX pretty much fit the D3 category - the all-rounder FF pro camera.

So if the analogy works, there should be room for the D3H (high speed model), D3X (high MP model), and D3s (the revised all-rounder model) equivalent.

I guess it's good news for landscape shooters moving into the pro-camera field for not having to dish out the US$7000+ for the FF pro-body. However, I wish the price for the 1DX could stay in the US$5,000 range...

Well, the good news is that the 1DX can use the same battery as the 1D4 (LP-E4), even though it has another battery (LP-E4N).
The D2H shoots only 8 frames per second.  It seems safe to say that if the D2 was slower they had a gap to fill.

I think this current camera fits the speed requirement very well; there's not much to be gained from even further speed increases (there's an option for a 14 FPS mode but that requires the mirror to be locked up).

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »
Bye bye Canon, hello Nikon.

You won't be seeing me here anymore, good luck with new Prosumer 18mp camera kids, and keep an eye on EBay, all my lenses etc will be there soon.

LOL Sorry, you'll just have to learn to frame your shots properly to begin with, instead of relying on cropping a 50MP file. Or yes, you can switch to Nikon and work with 12MP out of spite LOLOL Priceless

I suspect macfly is referring to the rumored 36 MP D800.  If you do a little digging into macfly instead of bashing him (which I admit, I was guilty of in the past), you'll find he's a pro with an impressive portfolio, and often shoots with medium format bodies in addition to dSLRs.  He appears to have a real need for higher resolution for print ads (thus the MF cameras), and was clearly hoping for a higher MP body from Canon, from a professional perspective.

Having said that, for me, 18 MP is just fine...
As a pro I would've hoped he had the perspective to realize that Canon most likely will be releasing a high megapixel camera as well.  Canon releases according to their own roadmap, but it seems in this case that (against my belief) they targeted the area most in need of an improvement.

EDIT:  Sorry for this post, I was assuming that Canon had not stated they were effectively discontinuing the 1D / 1Ds differentiation with this model, which they have, and which pulls all the wind out of my argument here.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:53:53 AM by Edwin Herdman »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »

Pau

« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2011, 01:24:37 PM »
Wow. This camera is amazing. Even though this camera is way out of my price range I  wanted to bring up something.
This camera does:
17 915 904(pixels) x 14(fps) = 250 822 656 (pixels per second)

On the other hand, 4k digital cinema is:
7 020 544(pixels) x 30(fps)= 210 616 320 (pixels per second)

Of course, when the 1dx shoots 14 fps these pixels are compressed into JPEG format. Also, the 1dx cannot shoot at 14 fps per second for more than a few seconds, but I think it is interesting that it might be possible to shoot compressed 4k clips with this fantastic new camera. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:08:18 PM by Pau »

Justin

« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »
a weak AA filter (guessing Canon has put in a strong one to improve moire)

Not sure about that - in CPN Europe's 8-page document (Technologies Explained – EOS-1D X), they state, "The combination of sensor and dual “DIGIC 5+” processors also greatly reduces colour fringing and moiré for professional quality footage."  Canon USA's features tab states, "The CMOS sensor's new drive system significantly increases image processor performance, reducing color artifacts and moiré."  To me, that sounds like digital removal of the moiré artifacts.

Thanks. Yes, hard to say for sure about the AA filter. I don't know that what you have cited tells us anything about a harware or software or combo process to remove the artifacts, if anything I would argue this description reads more like a hardware fix, but I'm out of my league on what these statements actually mean.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »