September 02, 2014, 08:59:33 PM

Author Topic: EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release  (Read 55328 times)

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
Re: EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »
a weak AA filter (guessing Canon has put in a strong one to improve moire)

Not sure about that - in CPN Europe's 8-page document (Technologies Explained – EOS-1D X), they state, "The combination of sensor and dual “DIGIC 5+” processors also greatly reduces colour fringing and moiré for professional quality footage."  Canon USA's features tab states, "The CMOS sensor's new drive system significantly increases image processor performance, reducing color artifacts and moiré."  To me, that sounds like digital removal of the moiré artifacts.

Faster fps and 18MP means less pixel line skipping, so fewer analog artifacts.  In effect this means that the camera will use a larger fraction of the sensor for each frame than it's predecessors.

Pau, Good point about the overall pixels per second. This leads me to believe that one of the upcoming video cameras has to be 4k capable at 30fps.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:48:42 PM by HurtinMinorKey »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »
a weak AA filter (guessing Canon has put in a strong one to improve moire)

Not sure about that - in CPN Europe's 8-page document (Technologies Explained – EOS-1D X), they state, "The combination of sensor and dual “DIGIC 5+” processors also greatly reduces colour fringing and moiré for professional quality footage."  Canon USA's features tab states, "The CMOS sensor's new drive system significantly increases image processor performance, reducing color artifacts and moiré."  To me, that sounds like digital removal of the moiré artifacts.

Thanks. Yes, hard to say for sure about the AA filter. I don't know that what you have cited tells us anything about a harware or software or combo process to remove the artifacts, if anything I would argue this description reads more like a hardware fix, but I'm out of my league on what these statements actually mean.

Not at all...I think Canon is being vague about the implementation, and almost certainly that's intentional. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2011, 01:48:16 PM »
Sony does 24MP@12fps, RAW. While the bit depth is bigger in the 1Dx, the overall data processing result is still better on the Sony side.

Sorry for repeating this but one shouldn't take Canon figures as de facto the best, those times seem to be over.

Wow. This camera is amazing. Even though this camera is way out of my price range I  wanted to bring up something.
This camera does:
17 915 904(pixels) x 14(fps) = 250 822 656 (pixels per second)

On the other hand, 4k digital cinema is:
7 020 544(pixels x 30(fps)= 210 616 320 (pixels per second)

Of course, when the 1dx shoots 14 fps these pixels are compressed into JPEG format. Also, the 1dx cannot shoot at 14 fps per second, but I think it is interesting that it might be possible to shoot compressed 4k clips with this fantastic new camera.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »
Bye bye Canon, hello Nikon.

You won't be seeing me here anymore, good luck with new Prosumer 18mp camera kids, and keep an eye on EBay, all my lenses etc will be there soon.

LOL Sorry, you'll just have to learn to frame your shots properly to begin with, instead of relying on cropping a 50MP file. Or yes, you can switch to Nikon and work with 12MP out of spite LOLOL Priceless

I suspect macfly is referring to the rumored 36 MP D800.  If you do a little digging into macfly instead of bashing him (which I admit, I was guilty of in the past), you'll find he's a pro with an impressive portfolio, and often shoots with medium format bodies in addition to dSLRs.  He appears to have a real need for higher resolution for print ads (thus the MF cameras), and was clearly hoping for a higher MP body from Canon, from a professional perspective.

Having said that, for me, 18 MP is just fine...

I`ll second neuro`s comments... check out macfly`s website to know that his work is impressive and he would know the importance of resolution to his own work that I believe he has said before includes billboard ads.  Although brashly stated, macfly has a good point that some photography greatly benefits from higher resolution and I`m sure he stated in a previous post around a month ago that he is often forced to use Hassleblad MF and he dislikes that camera therefore was hoping and praying Canon will release a camera that can match.  Perhaps that was wishful thinking, a 35mm FF sensor may just not be able to come close enough to what a MF sensor can do.

Justin made some good points as well.   Although Canon is trying to state this camera is an all-around best choice, that`s just marketing BS... they may not believe for a second an 18MP FF sensor will work for high-end studio, fashion, landscape.  I think Justin is correct in saying Canon clearly designed this for photojournalists, sports, weddings, etc. where 18MP is enough and fast shutter speeds and low-light performance trumps everything.  Of course, not all sports shooters are going to love this camera... not enough pixels on subject for long-range shots so need to go up 1 in lens choice (e.g. 400mm instead of 300mm).  Another issue is the max sync speed is down to 1/250s which might bother outdoor shooters trying to overpower the sun with strobes... for example Dan Carr talks about his on his web-site.   Overall, as another member stated earlier today, don't forget Canon is in the business to sell cameras and they are building this camera for the possibly the biggest segment of pros... those working in the field (rough and wet conditions) who need fast shutter speed and low light performance.

Before macfly and others that have similar needs, waiting for the 5D3 before defecting to Nikon might pay off.  If they increase the resolution to 30MP,  improve the AF, and just slightly improve build quality (logical improvements to make), it might be a great studio camera... after all 5D2 did destroy 1Ds3 sales so Canon heard the money loud and clear... pros who would otherwise use the 1Ds3 went straight for the 5D2 clearly voting with their dollars that they can live without the rugged build quality of the 1 series.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
  Another issue is the max sync speed is down to 1/250s which might bother outdoor shooters trying to overpower the sun with strobes... for example Dan Carr talks about his on his web-site.   Overall, as another member stated earlier today, don't forget Canon is in the business to sell cameras and they are building this camera for the possibly the biggest segment of pros... those working in the field (rough and wet conditions) who need fast shutter speed and low light performance.

there is much nonsense in your post but this is the worst....

do you think 1/250 or 1/300 of a second makes a big difference in overpowering the sun?

please get a clue what you are talking about.....
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »
If the $6,800 price point is real, then what everyone is upset about may simply have been a business decision on Canon's behalf.  I've heard for a long time that the sensor is the most expensive part of a camera.  I heard predictions before the announcement that this camera would cost $10k-$12.5k.  What we have is a well featured camera in every way except MP that is priced to sell.  Canon probably could have put a 36 MP FF sensor in the 1D X, but it probably would have pushed the camera to the $10-12K range.  And I am guessing that the $10-12.5K market for a still camera is pretty small.  So, we have a very well featured camera, we are still waiting to see about the high ISO performance and DR, but the promise is there....the only real drawback that I see is it is "only" 18 MP....all for $6,800.

I'm impressed.

Cropper

« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »

Here´s some detailed info about all the goodies packed into the seemingly amazing 1D X :

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Information/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Technologies-Explained.pdf

And a video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MjFZN0fO5M

It seems like a great move from Canon, but there's no way that this can be considered a suitable replacement for the 1Ds III.

If the high ISO quality and improved DR is there, then it´s a great leap forward from the 1D Mark IV, but the concept of the high resolution, ultra high quality top of the line studio camera that the "Ds" implies is simply not there.

However, I don´t think Canon will leave that segment unattended for too long. There was a rumor a while ago regarding a completely different studio MF "killer" kind of camera from Canon. It could very well turn out to be true, in a not too distant future. So for those disappointed I wouldn't jump ship just yet...

Congratulations to the CR Guy. He totally nailed this one !!!

Now what about lenses ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2011, 02:38:37 PM »
  Another issue is the max sync speed is down to 1/250s which might bother outdoor shooters trying to overpower the sun with strobes... for example Dan Carr talks about his on his web-site.   Overall, as another member stated earlier today, don't forget Canon is in the business to sell cameras and they are building this camera for the possibly the biggest segment of pros... those working in the field (rough and wet conditions) who need fast shutter speed and low light performance.

there is much nonsense in your post but this is the worst....

do you think 1/250 or 1/300 of a second makes a big difference in overpowering the sun?

please get a clue what you are talking about.....

Direct quote from Dan Carr's web-site...  are you going to tell him to get a clue???

"Overcoming the ambient light with your strobe power is a constant battle for location photographers and squeezing every last 1/3 stop of shutter speed is very useful."

When using strobes outdoors to stop action it is important to minimize the ambient light and this is done by reducing shutter speed and/or aperture.  But reducing aperture also means increasing your strobe power to get the proper exposure.  Shutter speed on the other hand does not affect the strobe exposure.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2011, 02:39:13 PM »
This sounds like Canon have read my thoughts and made my perfect camera......how do I pre order? waiting till March is going to be torture to try one of these beasts out!

Macfly pulled a Kenraw instead ...

Kenraw is no longer jumping ship guys!!  ;D
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »
Why on earth would you need 30+ MP for a studio shoot? So you can print stuff on the sides of buildings? I'd rather have fewer larger pixels on the same size sensor.

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »
Direct quote from Dan Carr's web-site...  are you going to tell him to get a clue???

yep i do exactly that.

of course 1/500s or 1/2000s would be nicer then 1/250s.

but 1/250 or 1/300s that´s just a matter of more flash output, smaller aperture, a ND filter etc. and not a dealbreaker.
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
I have to agree.  With the way that the 5D II ate into the sales of the 1Ds III, because the sensors were so similar, I figured Canon had to do something to differentiate them for the next release.

It will certainly be interesting to see how things shake out with the 5D II replacement.  I'd certainly like to see some of the 1D X features, such as Multiple Exposure (I don't expect 9 exposures, of course) and chromatic aberration correction.

I think it makes sense in terms of body size aswell. My guess is that the biggest market for high megapixel FF DSLR's is amature  landscape/wildlife, do those users want a camera the size/weight of the D3x?

justicend

« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2011, 03:13:59 PM »
Well, After reading all this comments and views about the new 1dX. Here is what I have to say, indeed this camera is great camera no doubt $6800 tool has to do its job at the professional level when it's aimed at the professional and now being the flagship of canon.

First of all I have a question that is this an upgrade camera ? or new lineup camera ? when i saw the specs and features. I have a notion that it's somewhat similar to 1D mark iv because the difference is it's now full frame. And 1D mark iv was 16.1 MP now it's 18 MP. And new 1D X has 14 frames. But it  comes with the price. 1D mark iv was  around $4500 range i guess and new 1D X is $6800. Even it's not mentioned that 1Ds and 1D series are merged canon is saying that it's for PJ,Landscape,portrait or whatever. So it's obvious that people will think that way (all in one ). So people here on the forum are right canon is creating confusion. Because 1ds Mark III used to be flagship camera, and many of canon user waited for upgrade, but canon announced 1D mark iv (which generally is for fast shooters) and now they have announced the camera of similar use. For 1ds mark iii user who are waiting for upgrade are confused so does canon, because 5D mark ii became more friendly for studio and portrait work, moreover it served as the unofficial replacement 1ds series. And canon changed it's strategy. So I do hope either it will be 5D mark iii with higher MP FF camera or "since canon officially" does not announced the merging of the two,it's likely that with "1D with something" will appear as higher MP flagship camera.

Anyway canon is listening to their consumer who wanted less MP and high IQ with greater dynamic range. But yes it's true you cant make everyone happy, everyone has their own taste and choices, But inorder to lead the market you have to be targeting specific group of consumer, it's some sort of "divide and rule". Canon certainly is good camera maker, I hope it does not disappoint it's user and fans. Enough with Macfly and ebay, may be he has some frustration with this annoucement, but people should calm down and think.

But at last we don't know, what is coming up from nikon camp we will have wait and watch, because it used to be canon with MP and nikon with speed,DR and stuff, but it's seem that they are interchanging roadmap. Even though I am not professional and neither I am going to buy this expensive beast, but these things keeps on everyone's interest.  And CONGRATULATION to Canon's recent manufacturing milestone with the production of the Company's 50-millionth EOS-series SLR camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2011, 03:13:59 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 18, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »

yep i do exactly that.

but 1/250 or 1/300s that´s just a matter of more flash output, smaller aperture, a ND filter etc. and not a dealbreaker.

Smaller aperture or ND filter reduces the ambient exposure AND the strobe exposure.  If you have enough strobe power at your disposal then that would work fine.

So on one hand you agree that faster max sync speed is better and the other hand you tell me to get a clue when I say that 1/320 is better than 1/250 and that some photographers might be disappointed the max sync speed went down.  Ok.  You win.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:18:35 PM by Meh »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2011, 03:31:35 PM »

yep i do exactly that.

This goes back to strobe and exposure 101... first of all, the strobe, in most situations, should be fast enough to freeze action and so that brings up the situation of darkening the ambient to match your situations... ND filters, polarizing filters, lowest ISO possible, etc... assuming you're trying to underexpose sunny 16, ISO 100 at 1/250 at f16 is 1 stop under... add a ND filter or polarizing filter and that's a few more stops... there you go... how much more underexposed do you want?  Lastly, minimum shutter speeds has always been an issue with shutter curtains (not so much with leafs)... It isn't like in the good ol film days where some where at 1/30... remember those dinos?
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: October 18, 2011, 03:31:35 PM »