August 30, 2014, 06:25:08 AM

Author Topic: Comfortable strap?  (Read 2948 times)

coloradopa

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Comfortable strap?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 07:06:11 AM »
Has anyone experiences with this?

http://www.customslr.com/products/camera-split-strap

Looks like what I was looking for. I'm only mildly concerned about the solidity of those joints.
I have this one. Very solid. One of the things I really like is when I am getting in and out of a car a lot you can just unclip it and put the camera on the seat. I've had mine for three years and its survived two trips to India, Africa, Peru etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 07:06:11 AM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 07:42:36 AM »
With the Black Rapid style of strap the dangle has it's benefits. Have you actually tried one prior to dismissing it? I myself use the RS-7 Curve. Super comfy no matter the lens or mount (camera or lens plate) I cannot go back to neck straps after wearing a sliding sling. They're not popular because they're trendy, they're popular because they work well.

Totally agree...I will never go back to neck straps and love my BR strap.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

banana joe

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »

tcmatthews

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »
I'm just not a fan of the straps that are wide at top, but get so very narrow where it connects to the camera...at least not as high up the strap that they seem to narrow.

Does anyone know of where to get the OLD fashioned type camera straps, I call them the "Hippy" looking straps, that have some colorful patterns, are about 2" wide for the whole strap, and have a metal clip that hooks to the camera?

I had an old one from my old SLR 35mm days...even had little loops to hold the old plastic film containers, but it just wore out on me.

Do they still make straps of this sort anymore?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

A lot of those straps were actually converted guitar straps I believe.    At lest the trend started out that way.
6D, 60D, Rebel XS, EF-S 15-85,  EF 70-200f4L, EF 100f2.8L,  Tamron 70-300VC,  Tamaron 28-75f2.8,   EF 40f2.8,  EF 50f1.8, EF 85f1.8, EF 24mmf2.8IS  EOS M 22f2, 18-55, EOS M-EF adapter, Nex6,  SEL50f18,  SEL1018,  DN 30f2.8, adpaters and Fd and M42 lens.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »
I'm just not a fan of the straps that are wide at top, but get so very narrow where it connects to the camera...at least not as high up the strap that they seem to narrow.

Does anyone know of where to get the OLD fashioned type camera straps, I call them the "Hippy" looking straps, that have some colorful patterns, are about 2" wide for the whole strap, and have a metal clip that hooks to the camera?

I had an old one from my old SLR 35mm days...even had little loops to hold the old plastic film containers, but it just wore out on me.

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

A lot of those straps were actually converted guitar straps I believe.    At lest the trend started out that way.
OH wow..thanks for the info!!

I think you have given me a GREAT new idea on how to pursue this!!!

If nothing else, it would look cool when out shooting concerts!!
:)

cayenne

mrzero

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 10:31:28 AM »

Ebay.  Often the listings refer to "vintage" or "hippie" in the description. 

As for the original post, I use a Tamrac N45 strap.  It has a leather pad for the neck/shoulder area, and  quick-release buckles so you can remove it before stowing.  It is comfortable for a moderate weight setup, not bulky, easy to remove (which I often do), and looks subtle and understated.  It adjusts to 50 inches, which might be long enough to use as a sling for smaller folks, but it isn't enough for those of us who are tall and/or girthy.  However, neck straps and sling straps are different because they really function differently.  If I used my N45 as a sling, which I have tried, the leather pad would hang up on my shoulder and makes it harder to draw the camera up.  Sling straps allow the camera to glide along the strap while it stays in place.  Opteka makes a similar strap and also sells extensions that you can use to make it long enough for a sling usage, but it probably doesn't look nearly as nice.
Canon 6d, t1i, 20/2.8, 28/1.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.8II, 100/2.8 macro, 70-300/4-5.6, g1x, 430exII, 90ex
Elan 7N with 28-105/3.5-4.5II, Rebel G with 35-70/3.5-4.5, A-1 with 28/2.8, 50/1.8, and 135/3.5

noncho

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • NonchoILiev.com
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
I bought this one(received week ago):

It looks nice, but it's not more comfortable than the original Canon 60D strap.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
I like the simplicity of the Bossstrap.  It was so simple that I decided to make my own for about 1/3 the price.  Since I hate corporate logos on stuff, building it myself allowed me to choose the colours I wanted in addition to saving money.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »
It looks like a "banjo strap" is exactly what I was looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Levys-Leathers-Hootenanny-Jaquard-Banjo/dp/B000XPPOGW/ref=sr_1_20?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1390507433&sr=1-20&keywords=banjo+strap

Thanks for the idea that the original "hippie" camera straps were inspired by guitar straps.
I started looking at those...trying to figure what the name of the metal clips would be to look for those, and saw that banjo straps usually had the clips ON them to begin with...

I do miss my old, OLD strap, as that it actually had elastic loops inside it to hold film canisters...that was kind of nostalgic.

cayenne

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »
Camera straps are like bicycle saddles. No one can tell you what to get, you just have to buy and try. It's s totally personal choice.Unfortunately that means you occasionally have to spend quite a bit to get what you want.

I guess this also applies to bags. And why so many of us have SO MANY.
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 04:32:10 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions.

The Crumpler looks comfy but too short. The Peak Design looks long and versatile enough, but too narrow to be comfortable.

I know it's tough, but that's why I asked for help :P

The Crumpler one I have is long enough to have over one shoulder then across the body. Probably best to go to good camera store and try as many as they have. I'd bring the lens you use the most plus your heaviest lens when testing them out.

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 04:38:18 PM »

Looks like what I was looking for. I'm only mildly concerned about the solidity of those joints.

Looks interesting. It's a wide foam part of the strap is a winner but I agree with you those joints looks scary.
From experience, one of the reasons why I went with the Crumpler is because it's a continuous 1 piece that gets  narrower. I've seen a camera strap that has failed/break at these joints/stitched points.

It's great your putting a lot of thought into it.

vlad

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 05:28:14 PM »

Looks interesting. It's a wide foam part of the strap is a winner but I agree with you those joints looks scary.
From experience, one of the reasons why I went with the Crumpler is because it's a continuous 1 piece that gets  narrower. I've seen a camera strap that has failed/break at these joints/stitched points.

It's great your putting a lot of thought into it.

I have the Split Strap and love it.  I've had people laugh at the plastic components, but I've never had any issue with them, and I push my gear hard.  I like to shoot rock climbing, and I feel comfortable letting my DSLR dangle from this strap when I'm 100 feet off the ground.  Another great feature that someone mentioned is being able to wear the strap under a jacket, and then when getting into a car or whatever, just unclipping the camera from it.

For anyone wanting to get it though, they just completed their Kickstarter for an updated strap that allows on the fly length adjustment, which to me would be a killer feature, so I would wait for that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 05:28:14 PM »

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
Optech USA all the way, get a utility or pro slink strap then add on the uniloop XL for the around the neck, this way you get the best of both worlds with a few clicks, carry 6d and 300f2.8 with ease

fumgreununta

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 10:22:39 AM »
Efectul de "Fum Greu" www.fum-greu-nunta.ro
Folosita in masini speciale, gheata carbonica, genereaza fum greu, deosebit pentru primul dans al mirilor, transformand ringul de dans intr-un loc de poveste, creaza acea senzatie deosebita de "dans pe nori".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 10:22:39 AM »