September 20, 2014, 08:32:01 PM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern for 5d3 1.2.3 released  (Read 10817 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern for 5d3 1.2.3 released
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 07:32:38 PM »
Definitely do not have a clue as to what Dual ISO is?

It interlaces a single shot with two different iso settings like 100 and 800, you then de-interlace it with a postprocessing program "cr2hdr.exe". The result is a boost in dynamic range with a minor loss of resolution on both ends of the histogram. Great for shooting moving high-dynamic rang scenes.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0

Magic Lantern is so feature-rich you really have to try it for yourself, good thing is that you can disable modules if you don't need them and hide menu options you never use.

Thanks Marsu.....yes...now I remember reading that when I read about the first hack into the Mark III firmware...I understand you completely.  OK...I will have to look into this more...I am still a little chicken..(bwack..bwaaaaack....LOL!)....but I am going to go to the website and read up on this and see if I want to load it up on my 5D III....that will also give you guys a little time to make the new hack more stable so that it is not... "cutting edge" stable!!!!  I think it is REALLY cool that you guys can do and actually do what you do...if that made any sense!
No worries, it works  :) 

For starters, I have used it on both my 5D3s to learn the shutter count  :)

I have checked bootflag removal too.

It is good to have ML back. I used to have ML permanently on my 5D2. However, I have sold it last month to fund a 2nd 5D3. Keep in mind that I introduced ML to the new owner and he got hooked with dual_iso just like me!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 07:32:38 PM »

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 08:13:33 PM »

Dual ISO
AutoExposure

I just installed ML on my 5D III (1.2.3-ml-Nightly.2) which is my first time installing ML.  It installed well and I can bring up the ML menu screen by pressing "delete" in live view. 
But I must be missing something (major and too obvious?) because I do not see anywhere any button for Dual ISO or AutoExposure (auto ETTR I presume)?  How do I enable these?
Reading through ML forum and threads, it seems nobody bothered to give a step-by-step instructions on how to enable, shoot, and post-process Dual ISO. 

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 08:25:57 PM »

Dual ISO
AutoExposure

I just installed ML on my 5D III (1.2.3-ml-Nightly.2) which is my first time installing ML.  It installed well and I can bring up the ML menu screen by pressing "delete" in live view. 
But I must be missing something (major and too obvious?) because I do not see anywhere any button for Dual ISO or AutoExposure (auto ETTR I presume)?  How do I enable these?
Reading through ML forum and threads, it seems nobody bothered to give a step-by-step instructions on how to enable, shoot, and post-process Dual ISO.

You need to enable Dual ISO module first and restart it.  After that you can turn on the Dual ISO.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 08:51:50 PM »

Dual ISO
AutoExposure

You need to enable Dual ISO module first and restart it.  After that you can turn on the Dual ISO.

Figured out there is modules column down the ML menu where one needs to enable all the modules.   :D

*edit*
Man, it's kind of a pain learning all the ML stuff from scratch.  ML website's description of what to do is frankly less than clear and step-by-step.  For example, for dual iso workflow, ML says (??!):

"For CR2 files: cr2hdr.c (Windows:cr2hdr.exe). It requires dcraw and (optional) exiftool in your executable path (they are in the zip). Drag and drop the CR2 files over cr2hdr.exe."

For those trying to learn this stuff, I highly recommend these instructions:
http://rohidassanap.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/guide-to-using-dual-iso-mode-on-your-canon-5d-mark-iii/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:25:41 PM by drjlo »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 04:41:36 AM »

For those trying to learn this stuff, I highly recommend these instructions:
http://rohidassanap.wordpress.com/2013/08/10/guide-to-using-dual-iso-mode-on-your-canon-5d-mark-iii/
Please IGNORE this instruction from the referenced URL:
4) Delete the CR2 files as the DNG files are just as good for adjustment.

Do NOT delete the .CR2 files. The CR2HDR.exe has been improved many times in the past so it will most probably get improved again. You may need to process your .CR2 files again...

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 05:57:21 AM »
Do NOT delete the .CR2 files. The CR2HDR.exe has been improved many times in the past so it will most probably get improved again. You may need to process your .CR2 files again...

+1 - that's one of the main drawbacks of dual_iso, it's a lossy conversion cr2->dng and as you will want to keep the original cr2 around there's double the storage space vs. a normal. shot. Only use dual_iso if you know the dynamic range of the sensor has been maxed out (look at the raw histogram or use ettr with dual_iso link).

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 11:29:57 AM »

+1 - that's one of the main drawbacks of dual_iso, it's a lossy conversion cr2->dng and as you will want to keep the original cr2 around there's double the storage space vs. a normal. shot. Only use dual_iso if you know the dynamic range of the sensor has been maxed out (look at the raw histogram or use ettr with dual_iso link).

I don't know how you guys do it, but it seems like one HAS to physically copy the CR2 files from camera/SD/CF to the folder containing CR2HDR.exec anyway in order for it to convert.  I've been just keeping the original CR2 files in my usual folders, just deleting the copied CR2 files from CR2HDR folder after processing.

So far in my testing, it does not seem like dual iso will be necessary for my usual shooting situations, only when I encounter near-ridiculous situations.  But it's good to have. 
Do you guys have the auto ETTR linked to dual iso when you shoot?

ML's auto ETTR does not seem to be producing photo's with histogram moved all the way right for some reason, even if I have it turned on all the time, and the exposure seems to differ even if I shoot the same scene multiple times with focus point on same object. 

Also, if I set auto ETTR to trigger with "Set" button, can "Set" be pressed to achieve ETTR BEFORE auto-focus is achieved, or does AF have to lock before ETTR can happen with trigger button?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 11:29:57 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »
So far in my testing, it does not seem like dual iso will be necessary for my usual shooting situations, only when I encounter near-ridiculous situations.

You easily get >11ev dynamic range (bare Canon sensor) in hard noon light or with backlight like at sunset.

Do you guys have the auto ETTR linked to dual iso when you shoot?

No, because auto-ettr has to go to live view mode (= 1x mirror flip nearer shutter replacement & loss of time).

ML's auto ETTR does not seem to be producing photo's with histogram moved all the way right for some reason

I'd advise you to post your other "How to" questions to the ml forum, many more people using ML around there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »