OK...I have a 5DMarkIII running Firmware Version 1.2.1. I have never used Magic Lantern. I did spend about $3400 on my camera body (yes, I was an early adopter, but was able to sell my 5DMarkII for $2000 so I guess it evened out), and I do not want do ruin it as it is an expensive piece of hardware in my life.
1. Is ML easy to install and use?
2. Can I switch back and forth between ML and My Canon OS?
3. Can anyone direct me to a site where someone has solid experience and simple information (for dummies) on how to set your 5DMarkIII up and use the software to its fullest.
4. Have users destroyed their camera when installing of using this software.
Seems like there are a lot of benefits....but if I do something to the camera and it is not repairable ....I might have to kill myself.
Be cautioned if you have a 5D3.
ML is still very alpha for the Canon 5D3.
1. If you install Magic Lantern on your 5D3, you will set a firmware bootflag on the camera, that is NOT removable. At this time, it is a permanent change to your camera
2. It seems associated with this flag, that the boot times and wake up times can be significantly increased on your camera, I'm hearing up to like 2-3 seconds I believe. This is a deal breaker for some folks. This does NOT seem to be something that you can reverse.
The problems I mentioned above, will remain on your 5D Mark III even if you remove the Magic Lantern software. So, please be advised.
That being said, I've been following ML forums and all things about them and I'm HUGELY impressed. I really, really hope they can overcome these 2x issues with the 5D3 so I can feel comfortable with using ML on my camera. I'm anxious to start shooting RAW video with my 5D3...and to explore all these other cool options with stills photography.
But at this time, since I have only one 5D3, I am holding off putting ML on my camera.
Caveat Emptor as they say.