August 27, 2014, 01:25:38 PM

Author Topic: Magic Lantern increases Canon EOS 5D Mark III dynamic range  (Read 12484 times)

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Lantern increases Canon 5D III dynamic range
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2014, 07:36:50 PM »
Why doesn't Canon implement this natively in their firmware? There must be some technical reason Canon decided NOT to do this?

I would go with a few different reasons:

• The same reason that the vast majority of x86 CPUs (and modern tubocharged automobiles :-) can be overclocked at least a little bit (& some like crazy):  The factory firmware engineers have to be 100% certain that the firmware works 100% of the time with 100% of the sensors & circuit boards that come off the production line, so they have to be conservative & not tweak every last little bit of performance out of the system.
  • I would hazard a guess that collectively, the ML team has spent far more time working on 5DII firmware than Canon has, & they've spent a lot of that time trying to add absolutely as many features & tweak as much performance as they can out of it, whereas the factory firmware engineers have other priorities such as stability, cross-platform compatibility, etc.  It's similar to the difference between a nice production sports car and a track car.
  • I'm not so sure that Canon's firmware engineers are videographers using their firmware to shoot movies as part of their living, but the ML folks clearly live & breathe this stuff...

NaturaLight

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »

Be cautioned if you have a 5D3.

ML is still very alpha for the Canon 5D3.

1. If you install Magic Lantern on your 5D3, you will set a firmware bootflag on the camera, that is NOT removable. At this time, it is a permanent change to your camera
2. It seems associated with this flag, that the boot times and wake up times can be significantly increased on your camera, I'm hearing up to like 2-3 seconds I believe. This is a deal breaker for some folks. This does NOT seem to be something that you can reverse.

The problems I mentioned above, will remain on your 5D Mark III even if you remove the Magic Lantern software. So, please be advised.

That being said, I've been following ML forums and all things about them and I'm HUGELY impressed. I really, really hope they can overcome these 2x issues with the 5D3 so I can feel comfortable with using ML on my camera. I'm anxious to start shooting RAW video with my 5D3...and to explore all these other cool options with stills photography.

But at this time, since I have only one 5D3, I am holding off putting ML on my camera.

Caveat Emptor as they say.

HTH,

cayenne

Also, ML doesn't run on the latest canon firmware version on the 5d3.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2014, 02:17:22 PM »

Be cautioned if you have a 5D3.

ML is still very alpha for the Canon 5D3.

1. If you install Magic Lantern on your 5D3, you will set a firmware bootflag on the camera, that is NOT removable. At this time, it is a permanent change to your camera
2. It seems associated with this flag, that the boot times and wake up times can be significantly increased on your camera, I'm hearing up to like 2-3 seconds I believe. This is a deal breaker for some folks. This does NOT seem to be something that you can reverse.

The problems I mentioned above, will remain on your 5D Mark III even if you remove the Magic Lantern software. So, please be advised.

That being said, I've been following ML forums and all things about them and I'm HUGELY impressed. I really, really hope they can overcome these 2x issues with the 5D3 so I can feel comfortable with using ML on my camera. I'm anxious to start shooting RAW video with my 5D3...and to explore all these other cool options with stills photography.

But at this time, since I have only one 5D3, I am holding off putting ML on my camera.

Caveat Emptor as they say.

HTH,

cayenne

Also, ML doesn't run on the latest canon firmware version on the 5d3.

True, but as I understand it, even if you've moved to the latest Canon firmware, you can pretty readily "downgrade" to the version of the firmware that ML wants to use.

I am really ROOTING for the Magic Lantern team, I think they're doing an amazing job, and hope they keep making progress.

It is just that since the software is still in a pretty alpha stage for the 5D3 model, and it has problems that I'd mentioned with making permanent, irreversible changes on the 5D3, with the boot flag being set, and with the increased boot and wake times that seem to be associated with that boot flag.

As soon as these issues are addressed (or I hit the lottery and can afford a 2nd 5D3), I will wait till it is more to at least the beta stage before I try out Magic Lantern on my camera.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
I will wait till it is more to at least the beta stage before I try out Magic Lantern on my camera.

Definitely a sound decision when in doubt, only problem is that the ml devs have no schedule at all for a beta or even release stage - all this would mean additional testing and documentary burden, and the resources are allocated to developing new features.

This is certainly fine by me as I'm experienced with ml and can code modules and patches myself, I just want to prevent disappointment if a "stable" ml with the newer features might take quite a while to arrive.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
I will wait till it is more to at least the beta stage before I try out Magic Lantern on my camera.

Definitely a sound decision when in doubt, only problem is that the ml devs have no schedule at all for a beta or even release stage - all this would mean additional testing and documentary burden, and the resources are allocated to developing new features.

This is certainly fine by me as I'm experienced with ml and can code modules and patches myself, I just want to prevent disappointment if a "stable" ml with the newer features might take quite a while to arrive.
Greetings Marsu. ML is now available for 5DMkIII with firmware 1.2.3. Bootflag removal is now possible (finally).

Now, that's quite an accomplishment. For starters I used to find the shutter count of my new 5D3  :)

EDIT: Just saw your thread....