October 20, 2014, 09:14:53 AM

Author Topic: Best Nikon DF Review! By Fstoppers.  (Read 5168 times)

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Best Nikon DF Review! By Fstoppers.
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 03:03:41 PM »
this guy is so funny... i kinda like his look though

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 03:03:41 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »
I think the idea was good, the execution was rather poor. I agree, there is certainly a demand for retro-styled and simple-to-use cameras, even all-manual control. But this is a Frankenstein where Nikon seems to decide half-way to keep all the electronic controls anyway.
They could have taken a gamble and included only rotary controls for shutter speed, ISO, and a couple other things and made it lighter. They didn't have to look far- they could have made a cheaper, SLR version of the Leica and built it really, really well.
But they didn't. They tried to cover all bases. And I don't call that revolutionary. Just my opinion...
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 04:04:21 PM »
Most readers of CR have a functional and performance oriented view on photography. I think that explains the more or less unison reaction to this camera.

What this rather funny review shows is how the non-photography community reacts to the product. They like the look, it is different, it stands out etc. etc. they are not concerned with the impractical layout and disorganized buttons and dials. They would have it on "green" and leave it there, but look cool with an expensive and fairly high performance camera.

The price is somewhere between a Tag Heuer and a Rolex ... or an Armani suit with proper shoes ...  ::)
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
I think it might be worth re-iterating, lest we end up in a future with no dials on our cameras, I actually love the premise of what they did with the Df. Adding more manual controls is really attractive to me, it's the main reason I keep tabs on Fuji.
The killer blow was the price. The Df at the same price as the D610 is an amazing piece of equipment. As a special edition camera for style junkies it's a joke.
-100% RAW-

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 04:51:16 PM »
If Canon came out with an equivalent to the Df based on the 5D3 or 1DX then I'd definitely be picking one up. ;)
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

tcmatthews

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »
There is clearly a demand a retro designed camera.  Some people like there photography gear to look like stylish old school cameras.  But they want many of the modern conveniences of a modern camera.  I admittedly am one of them.   I enjoy the act of taking photos.  The feel of the camera as I manual focus and compose the image.  As I see it the modern Canon cameras feel and look like soulless tools.  They work with clinical precision.  To me modern cameras like the D600 have all the ergonomics of a brick rapped in tin foil.  And a button layout of a schizophrenic. 

I like buttons, nobs, control dials and levers.  I freakin hate touch screens on my camera.  I am all for manual control.  It sounds like I am in the DF target audience.

The problem with the DF is not one of concept.  It is definitely one of execution.  For the DF Nikon did not have constraint in mind.  It is in you face with the rotary dials.  Over the top with price.  It also looks like you would spend more times playing with the dial then taking pictures.  It looks like a complete mix of all the worst parts of digital and manual cameras combined. 

In the most part what would work best is a new digital take on a  classic design.  Not a old school take on modern camera.  By replace every modern feature with a manual control dial they created a fashion accessory instead of a camera.  There is something to be said for ease of use and access to controls.  But this thing like all of the newer Nikon's I have looked at is a fidgety camera.  I am one to spend too much time fidgeting so I try to stay away form fidgety cameras.

I find more appeal in the OMD,Sony A7 Fuji cameras.  I think Sony A7 would look sweet if they made a silver and black version. 

I would likely buy a modern version of the Canon AE1 style camera.  (It would need to have a updated shutter)  But if Canon made a camera in this segment I wish they would make the effort to keep some of their modern elements and integrate them into a classic design. 

But I think what I really do not like about the DF is that:
  • It is a Nikon
  • It has insane nob layout
  • It lacks clean sensible layout of manual controls
  • It has a insane price
  • it is a Nikon I am allergic to Nikon

6D, 60D, Rebel XS, EF-S 15-85,  EF 70-200f4L, EF 100f2.8L,  Tamron 70-300VC,  Tamaron 28-75f2.8,   EF 40f2.8,  EF 50f1.8, EF 85f1.8, EF 24mmf2.8IS  EOS M 22f2, 18-55, EOS M-EF adapter, Nex6,  SEL50f18,  SEL1018,  DN 30f2.8, adpaters and Fd and M42 lens.

weixing

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »
Hi,
    If Canon coming out a retro DSLR, hope they don't just only go for the look.

Anyway, I thought the Powershot G15/G16 already have the retro camera looks and are very usable ergonomics... may be Canon should just use the PowerShot G15/G16 design and make a interchangeable lens version... may be on the next EOS M.

Have a nice day.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »

SPL

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »

I agree.  It needs to cost $600-700, and have built-in Facebook connectivity and an Instagram filter, it'd be a hit.
[/quote]

+1
I'm laughing, laughing a lot,...just spilled drink.....

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 02:38:01 AM »

I agree.  It needs to cost $600-700, and have built-in Facebook connectivity and an Instagram filter, it'd be a hit.

+1
I'm laughing, laughing a lot,...just spilled drink.....
[/quote]
To be honest I bought an Eye-Fi WiFi card so I can upload files to Facebook. :)
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Heavyweight67

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 02:01:12 AM »
I think this really sums up the reason why the Df got as much hate as it did, it fell into a sweet spot where several groups of insecure people were likely to take a pop at it...

1.Mirrorless users - Up until now digital camera's sold on looks and reduction in size have been almost entirely mirrorless, a DSLR looking to do the same will obviously draw the ire of insecure users. Strange how the likes of F-stoppers didn't seem to care much about hipsters buying camera's for looking before the Df.

2.DSLR users - Insecure users on the DSLR side of the debate have long argued their preference for the handling modern DSLR's give, large grips and an interface via control wheels with shift buttons and a top plate LCD.

3.Canon users - Any Nikon release will get some criticism from insecure Canon users, the same being true of any Canon release from insecure Nikon users. That the camera in question is very different from any existing Canon product makes this more extreme.

A few comments I'd make on the review would be that I'd disagree that the Df offers no size saving compared to the D600. Its more of less the same in terms of height and width but depth wise your talking a significantly smaller profile, without the large grip your potentially talking space for an extra lens in a kit bag while traveling. Being a DSLR as well its actually a camera I'd consider taking traveling without needing to worry about constant battery changes/charging.

In terms of controls obviously the dials wouldn't be to everyone's taste but personally I think Nikon took the correct route in making them possible to override. If you want to stick to using the shutter speed dial that's perfectly possible, as is shooting only in shutter priority or full manual or using a pre G lens for aperture control. Indeed my main criticism of the Df is that it doesn't seem like you get do this with ISO. The X-T1 not offering the ability to at least shift shutter speed via a front control wheel to me makes it far less effective at doing double duty as a more action focused camera. Equally you can't get any kind of meter readout on the X-T1 from above because it lacks an LCD.

Talking of the X-t1 I think the Df makes a lot more sense in marketing terms when viewed in relation to it. Unlike the rest of the mirrorless market that has IMHO focused mostly on upgrading compact users or DSLR users shifting there entire system across to a smaller alternative I think Fuji has really targeted the second camera market, that is DSLR users buying a smaller retro style body to use along side it. The Df is IMHO Nikon's attempt to get in on some of these second camera business, it doesn't offer as much size saving but is still clearly smaller than something like a D800/D700 or a D3/D4. The massive advantage it does offer though is not having to invest in a second system of lenses, you look at the cost of say the X-T1 with the 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2 and your talking several hundred dollars more than the Df which you can use your existing F-mount lenses on.

You can add another group to hate the Df there as well, Nikon users who've already bought into the Fuji system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 02:01:12 AM »