October 01, 2014, 05:21:31 PM

Author Topic: Canon to Offer Global Shutter for 2.5k Video on an Upcoming DSLR? [CR1]  (Read 6972 times)

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto

We heard rumour that some folk in the video world are selling off gear in anticipation of a global shutter capable of 2.5k video being made available on an, as of yet, unnamed DSLR. While the wording is hearsay, A global shutter DSLR would definitely be an advancement in film-making tech.

Canon’s been pushing the threshold of video DSLR’s since the launch of the 5DMKII, so there’s no surprise that they would be working to incorporate even more “pro” level video tech in their cameras. It has been their push but, as this is from an unconfirmed source, be sure to sprinkle salt liberally with what you read.

[CR1]

cr

canon rumors FORUM

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
Re: Canon to Offer Global Shutter for 2.5k Video on an Upcoming DSLR? [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:52:30 AM »
Not knowing what a "Global Shutter" is - what would the implications of this be if (hypothetically), it was launched on the (to be named) 7D update?  Is there any benefit to the stills photography world or is it purely a video thing?
Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

friedrice1212

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:09:13 AM »
Not knowing what a "Global Shutter" is - what would the implications of this be if (hypothetically), it was launched on the (to be named) 7D update?  Is there any benefit to the stills photography world or is it purely a video thing?

It's a purely video thing. The global shutter is the opposite of the rolling shutter. In live view, the physical shutter doesn't move, so the sensor scans the scene 24 or 30 times a second to create frames.

With a rolling shutter, the sensor scans from top to bottom, creating a distortion effect if you pan the camera, because the sensor doesn't actually capture every part of the image at the exact same time.

A global shutter captures the entire image at once, then waits 1/24 of a second before doing it again, so the distortion, or the "rolling shutter effect" is not present. Global shutters are harder and more expensive to incorporate, as the camera has to process large amounts of data at once, in a small period of time.

For still photography using a physical shutter, it makes no difference.

jointdoc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:21:27 AM »
Thank you friedrice1212.  I was going to ask the same question.
Canon 5D MkII; Canon T2i; EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 40 f/2.8; EF-S 18-135; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon 2x Mk. III T.C.; EF 100 f/2.8 macro; EF 16-35 f/2.8L

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:51:09 AM »
friedrice1212, thanks.  Useful explanation, and as I hadn't hoped for, it's a more of a video thing.

thanks,

Grant  :)
Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

Quackator

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:19:48 AM »
While global shutter is indeed very welcome in the video world,
it would at the same time eliminate x-sync in still photography
and overcome many of the problems that have led to the current
flood of HyperSync/SuperSync/overdrive flash triggers.

Regarding flash this would be a milestone, kill the need for HSS and Co.

I am anxiously looking forward to global shutters in still photography.

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:41 AM »

It's a purely video thing. The global shutter is the opposite of the rolling shutter. In live view, the physical shutter doesn't move, so the sensor scans the scene 24 or 30 times a second to create frames.

With a rolling shutter, the sensor scans from top to bottom, creating a distortion effect if you pan the camera, because the sensor doesn't actually capture every part of the image at the exact same time.

A global shutter captures the entire image at once, then waits 1/24 of a second before doing it again, so the distortion, or the "rolling shutter effect" is not present. Global shutters are harder and more expensive to incorporate, as the camera has to process large amounts of data at once, in a small period of time.

For still photography using a physical shutter, it makes no difference.

Thanks for the explanation.  However, I wonder if the physical infrastructure needed to perform a global shutter wouldn't have implications for still photography.  A rolling shutter seems to be the necessary result of having slower processers/read rates (I could be wrong).  To pull off a global shutter I would expect you would need faster or more A/D processors and faster read rates.  I wonder if such hardware could benefit still photography in terms of fps and possibly (elephant in the room) noise.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:41 AM »

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »

Thanks for the explanation.  However, I wonder if the physical infrastructure needed to perform a global shutter wouldn't have implications for still photography.  A rolling shutter seems to be the necessary result of having slower processers/read rates (I could be wrong).  To pull off a global shutter I would expect you would need faster or more A/D processors and faster read rates.  I wonder if such hardware could benefit still photography in terms of fps and possibly (elephant in the room) noise.

Or you do it old school, with secondary buckets. Give each sensel the capability to put its current charge in a non photosensitve area. Then you have all the time you want to sample. Another option would involve a Kerr- or Pockels-effect based shutter.
But Canon wants more readouts anyway - DPPD-AF makes you want to potentially read the whole sensor*2 at the refresh rate of the current PDAF-sensors (and prcess that data).
Well, Sonys high end compact can read,process and compress to video 60 iirc 20MP-images per second, a similar core in a dual configuration could do quite a lot... 8)

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 11:05:57 AM »
It helps rolling shuttter in video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-h46Zz9YZQ#t=15

In most cmos sensors, using global shutter means a loss in dynamic range. If they do this, hopefully it will be raw, but I doubt it.

I think this rumor is just pure speculation.

roxics

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »
As someone who shoots a lot of video I would love this. But I wonder how it will affect the dynamic range of the sensor.

EDIT: HurtinMinorKey got to this question as I was posting. :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:22:54 AM by roxics »

roxics

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »
I'm having a hard time believing this. It seems like Canon would introduce this on their C series of cinema cameras before their regular DSLR line. Same being true with the higher resolution (2.5K) video.

littlebob

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »
Rolling shutter means you can never pan with your camera when shooting video. Ever. It sucks so bad I can't believe the DLSR video revolution ever happened

mkabi

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »
I'm happy ;D
I'm not a DR guy, I light the sh!t out of my scenes :D

Rolling shutter means you can never pan with your camera when shooting video. Ever. It sucks so bad I can't believe the DLSR video revolution ever happened

How fast are your pans?
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »

mkabi

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 11:55:57 AM »
I'm having a hard time believing this. It seems like Canon would introduce this on their C series of cinema cameras before their regular DSLR line. Same being true with the higher resolution (2.5K) video.

True. But they have 4K for their C line, why go down on resolution?
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

KarstenReis

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
Here is a good article from RED that explains it a bit better with some visuals.

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/global-rolling-shutter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »