April 21, 2014, 09:35:17 AM

Author Topic: Need a new camera bag, help? 2 bodies + bunch of stuff  (Read 3889 times)

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new camera bag, help? 2 bodies + bunch of stuff
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 09:46:58 AM »
This is the biggest capacity Think Tank bag with shoulder harness.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-security-v2-roller-camera-bag.aspx

It is over 33 liters internal volume. But you'd be a fool to try to take it as carry on on flights outside the USA.

For International work nothing beats this bag

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-takeoff-roller-camera-bag.aspx

With an internal volume around 24 liters.

Nobody who has actually carried:-
two bodies (one 5-series and a 7d)
4-6 lenses
external mic
radio triggers
2 flashes
15+ filters
tablet
a flycam and a table glider
and a compact (travel sized) tripod
for any amount of time or distance in a backpack would do it twice. Roller bags are the answer 90% of the time and I have traveled a lot with lots of camera gear, Roller bags with shoulder harnesses are the best answer (short of somebody to carry it for you) 100% of the time, it is shocking how rarely wheels will not work, even off road, in sand blah blah, I have rolled my Think Tanks everywhere.

The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 09:46:58 AM »

flowers

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-security-v2-roller-camera-bag.aspx

It is over 33 liters internal volume. But you'd be a fool to try to take it as carry on on flights outside the USA.

4-6 lenses
external mic
radio triggers
2 flashes
15+ filters
tablet
for any amount of time or distance in a backpack would do it twice. Roller bags are the answer 90% of the time and I have traveled a lot with lots of camera gear, Roller bags with shoulder harnesses are the best answer (short of somebody to carry it for you) 100% of the time, it is shocking how rarely wheels will not work, even off road, in sand blah blah, I have rolled my Think Tanks everywhere.

Thanks, I don't usually carry all that but now I have to! Trust me, it's not meant as a day pack, it's only so I can get all that gear on the plane and off the plane safely. Good point on the roller bag, I think I would be crazy to use a backpack without wheels, I've gotten sore muscles sometimes from a lot less gear than that! I'll go with the smaller think tank, I do want to take it as hand luggage. Thanks :)

Don Haines

• 1D X
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »

4-6 lenses
external mic
radio triggers
2 flashes
15+ filters
tablet

Thanks, I don't usually carry all that but now I have to! Trust me, it's not meant as a day pack, it's only so I can get all that gear on the plane and off the plane safely. Good point on the roller bag, I think I would be crazy to use a backpack without wheels, I've gotten sore muscles sometimes from a lot less gear than that! I'll go with the smaller think tank, I do want to take it as hand luggage. Thanks :)

And if you want hard sides and waterproof, http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_storm.php?Case=iM2500
The best camera is the one in your hands

flowers

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »

And if you want hard sides and waterproof, http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_storm.php?Case=iM2500

Thanks for the suggestion, but I rather avoid anything that looks that conspicuous when going to the airport (and when exiting the airport on the other side) :D I don't plan on banging it against hard surfaces repeatedly or dropping it in a body of water. :) I'll keep those in mind if I ever need something sturdier!

privatebydesign

• 1D X
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 06:22:59 PM »
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »
I looked a LONG time for a backpack that holds 6 to 7 lenses and two bodies without looking awkward as heck. Most of the ones that hold that much are too wide, and too deep (they stick out freakishly). 

I got the Thule TPBP 101.  Don't confuse with the similar but smaller day pack TPDP 101.  It is tall rather than fat so it fits and looks and wears better.  Thule makes sporting goods and this pack looks good like a hiking pack.

It also has the security feature of a zipper that is up against your back like the LowePro 400 and 500, so it can't be unzipped by someone behind you.

Short video product description here. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AACti4a-DTQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DAACti4a-DTQ

Buy here. http://www.amazon.com/Thule-TPBP-101-Perspektiv-Backpack-Black/dp/B00F4714IG
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:21:08 PM by ScottyP »
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 08:48:16 PM »
The biggest problem with any bag that will hold that much gear is the weight of all that gear... and the bag...

Backpacks are awsome if you are under 30 but, my gear moves in a bag with wheels.

flowers

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 08:53:29 PM »
The biggest problem with any bag that will hold that much gear is the weight of all that gear... and the bag...

Backpacks are awsome if you are under 30 but, my gear moves in a bag with wheels.
I know! I'm probably going to go with the airport bag with wheels that can be transformed into a backpack, best of both worlds.

flowers

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
I think you're being misled by dividers and perhaps the photos using big lenses.

I was wrong about the TakeOff being "a little bit smaller", it's quite a lot smaller. According to the interior dimensions of the bags mentioned in this thread, these are the approximate volumes in litres.

Airport Accelerator = 27.3
Vertex 300 AW       = 26.6
Pro Runner x450    = 23.1
Expedition 8           = 23.1
Airport TakeOff       = 20.2
Manfrotto Pro 50    = 17.7
Flipside 400 AW     = 17.2

thank you taking the trouble of calculating those numbers! I really appreciate it. It's hard to see through the marketing. I've been trying to measure the lengths of the cameras in the bags on screen and get the real inside measurements based on that to try to eyeball a little better how roomy they really are, but those numbers might be even more reliable.

Halfrack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 10:27:08 PM »
4-6 lenses really does need to be better identified - small primes, or white zooms?  Are your bodies gripped or not?  The flycam / table glider need to be better identified as to their size.  Are your filters circular or are you using a Cokin/Lee setup?  Are you using the tripod head on the glider?

What is your second carry on?  Most every flight allows 2, so why are you forcing everything into one?  Since it is more about getting on and off a flight, might want to see about getting a maximum sized duffel bag, and put your two camera bags into it to fend off any flight attendant or counter agent.

I picked up the Niko Messenger from Chrome in San Francisco, and love it, though hate how easily I can overload it.  It fit:  H4d-50 with 28mm, 50-100mm, 80mm, 210mm lenses plus a EOS-M with 10-22 and 100-400 lenses and a 15" MacbookPro.  DAMN it was heavy. 

I was going to look at the Gura Gear bags, and use their no questions asked return policy if it didn't match up to my needs, but I'll save that for another day.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

flowers

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 11:39:43 PM »
4-6 lenses really does need to be better identified - small primes, or white zooms?  Are your bodies gripped or not?  The flycam / table glider need to be better identified as to their size.  Are your filters circular or are you using a Cokin/Lee setup?  Are you using the tripod head on the glider?

What is your second carry on?  Most every flight allows 2, so why are you forcing everything into one?  Since it is more about getting on and off a flight, might want to see about getting a maximum sized duffel bag, and put your two camera bags into it to fend off any flight attendant or counter agent.

I picked up the Niko Messenger from Chrome in San Francisco, and love it, though hate how easily I can overload it.  It fit:  H4d-50 with 28mm, 50-100mm, 80mm, 210mm lenses plus a EOS-M with 10-22 and 100-400 lenses and a 15" MacbookPro.  DAMN it was heavy. 

I was going to look at the Gura Gear bags, and use their no questions asked return policy if it didn't match up to my needs, but I'll save that for another day.

I use fast primes exclusively, so no zooms, white or black :) No "big" tele lenses either! I don't have anything longer than 135mm that will be included in those 6 lenses, and I don't plan on having anything longer. I didn't identify the lenses because I'm not sure about the 5th/6th yet (I'm pretty sure, but we'll see after I'm done selling off some lenses I don't need. I might buy a new lens to accompany the 4 I'm taking for sure). Anyway, as it is, no large tele lenses, but for the sake of numbers, count 100x100mm (3.9x3.9") as average. One gripped body. Flycam/glider I can disassemble and fit into.. see http://www.thinktankphoto.com/product-images/xlarge/Airport-Accelerator-2.jpg that D700 with the bigger lens on the left? The stabilizers would need the same space as the d700 with the lens (possibly an inch more in length). I think I could fit them in so that they wouldn't require quite as much width as that camera+lens combo in the picture. Based on that, it would be a pretty tight fit if I got the airport accelerator, so I'm not sure if that's the right bag for me. It was one of the suggested bags.

"Irregularly shaped" bags get DQ'd as carry on luggage more often so I'd rather use a proper bag. The filters aren't important, they can be put in any bag in a pinch. I just mentioned them so nobody would assume they can recommend a bag that absolutely couldn't accommodate a bunch of filters anywhere. I mostly mentioned them along with the tablet in order to make it clear that bags with lots of pockets for small stuff are preferred and that pockets for filters would be nice too.

I'm "trying" to fit everything into one bag because usually the "other bag" is expected to be rather small, and I will probably want to put non-photo gear in there, so if my mentality is to fit everything in one bag right from the start, I think that will lead to a better bag choice in the end.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:49:46 PM by flowers »

Hjalmarg1

• Canon AE-1
  • Photo Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 12:24:27 AM »
I think you're being misled by dividers and perhaps the photos using big lenses.

I was wrong about the TakeOff being "a little bit smaller", it's quite a lot smaller. According to the interior dimensions of the bags mentioned in this thread, these are the approximate volumes in litres.

thank you taking the trouble of calculating those numbers! I really appreciate it. It's hard to see through the marketing. I've been trying to measure the lengths of the cameras in the bags on screen and get the real inside measurements based on that to try to eyeball a little better how roomy they really are, but those numbers might be even more reliable.

I was between the Lowepro Vertex 300 AW, Lowepro Pro Runner x450  and the Tamrac Expedition 8X and finally bought the Tamrac and I am very happy. The only thing I really miss are the wheels that the two Lowepro models have.
I have inside this backpack, Canon 7D+Grip+15-85mm lens attached, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 100mm f2.8L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.2L, 35mm f2 IS, 40mm 2.8, 1.4X teleconverter and Sigma 10mm f2.8 F(sheye). In total one body and 9 lenses.
Hjalmarg1
5DIII Body, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 100mm f2.8L IS, 35mm f2 IS, extender EF 1.4X II, Flash 580EX II & 270EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 12:24:27 AM »

flowers

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 12:51:21 AM »

I was between the Lowepro Vertex 300 AW, Lowepro Pro Runner x450  and the Tamrac Expedition 8X and finally bought the Tamrac and I am very happy. The only thing I really miss are the wheels that the two Lowepro models have.
I have inside this backpack, Canon 7D+Grip+15-85mm lens attached, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 100mm f2.8L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.2L, 35mm f2 IS, 40mm 2.8, 1.4X teleconverter and Sigma 10mm f2.8 F(sheye). In total one body and 9 lenses.
Between wheels and a bigger bag I'd choose a bigger bag to make sure my gear fits in, after all it's not meant to be an everyday bag, just an intercontinental bag. Thank you for listing your gear and your bag. Did all that fit in comfortably, or was it a snug fit? Was there any room left over?

Chapman Baxter

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »
Lowepro Classified 200AW.

Holds two bodies with lenses attached (up to 70-200mm) plus lots of extra stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »