October 22, 2014, 03:18:17 AM

Author Topic: Review: Sony A7R With Canon Glass  (Read 7952 times)

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Sony A7R With Canon Glass
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 10:29:46 PM »
It seems to me that putting big lenses on a compact body kinda negates the advantage of compactness.  That leaves the great sensor as an advantage, but still, the practical advantages over say a 5D3 or D800 are not that great.

Your mileage will certainly vary!  :)

I keep hearing this argument but let's be honest, who doesn't appreciate a few less grams? It's when the body is so small comparative to the lens that it creates such an imbalance that it is even less comfortable than the same lens + larger body that it really negates the value. Adding a grip onto the a7/R might be more comfortable say with a 24-70L attached than with a 6D and the same lens - weight is weight, or lack thereof, in my opinion.

I agree; and as a landscape guy, I'm always looking to shed some weight on those longer hikes where I need to take water, food, etc. in addition to camera gear.  I think I may rent of these for a 2 week trip to Utah & Arizona I have coming up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 10:29:46 PM »

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »
At this point Canon just needs to concede defeat and us the Sony sensors.

Given Sony's financial struggles (particularly the Moody's downgrade), I can imagine a scenario in which Sony sells off its imaging division in order to stay afloat in other areas (TVs, computers, phones, etc.). I wonder if Canon might consider buying Sony's imaging division and/or patents. That could be exciting. Although, the downside is that there would be less pressure on Canon to innovate, so we'd get the short-term gain of Sony's current sensors, but could that be at the expense of long-term innovation/competition?

It'll be interesting to see what happens. My guess is that Canon is always working on new/innovative sensor tech. Whether/when we see it, of course, depends on effectiveness of the tech, reliability, production capability, competition, market conditions, et cetera. Canon may move slowly, but I'd be very surprised if a significant jump in sensor performance doesn't come along in the next 1-3 years.

Aglet

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 10:56:11 PM »
if you want AF performance with that kind of IQ then there's still D800/e. tho I think the Sony has a slight IQ edge now.
or ABC for crop sensor bodies (anybody but canon)

But I've been considering that Sony as well, as it would do what I use the d800s for now and give me plenty more options for adapting all kinds of glass to it that the Nikon cannot take with its long register distance.
darn d800 depreciation...

Oh well, I'll cheer myself up and pre-order a Fuji X-T1 to play with.

dufflover

• Rebel T5i
  • OH YEAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 02:50:15 AM »
The Sony A7 with adapters was touted as the little savior (or at least stop gap!) for people wanting Sony sensors with their Canon glass.
Looks like it lives up to it.
Hurry up Canon and do something with your sensors! :P

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 03:12:05 AM »
Hmm, there's something wrong with this thread: nobody is saying "We don't need that shadow detail" or "Shadow detail isn't important of you expose properly" or "Sony's better DR isn't required if you shoot properly."

Where did all of those folks go?

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 03:18:06 AM »
Unfortunately Canon is only offering two year old oranges now :-(

No, the improvement in Canon's sensors since the 5D Mark II has been almost non-existent. Canon have been focusing their R&D on DPAF and other things like that because everyone is (or was) happy with the quality of images from Canon DSLRs. Well, except for folks like me but we get jumped on when we criticise Canon's sensors and R&D efforts but thanks to this review, you can all now see how big the difference is between Sony's sensors and Canon's when it comes to noise, shadows and DR. All of which are unimportant to people with Canon DSLRs, right?

To have that kind of DR recovery for wildlife shooting would be amazing.

But, I like Canon's lenses, so I'm willing to stick it out another year or two.

At this point Canon just needs to concede defeat and us the Sony sensors.

You are right. We buy into the eco system (lenses). But man, those sensors produce some EXCELLENT photos. It is hard to believe the shadow recover section. I agree, unless Canon has something up their sleeve, they should think hard about using the Sony Sensors.

Yup! About 5-10 years ago, Canon had an edge on everyone else. A big edge. That has been lost.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 03:33:52 AM »
It seems to me that putting big lenses on a compact body kinda negates the advantage of compactness.  That leaves the great sensor as an advantage, but still, the practical advantages over say a 5D3 or D800 are not that great.

Depends what you shoot.

If you need fast AF and tracking capabilities, then yes, the 5D3 is the better choice.

If you do comfortable studio work, then yes, the D800 is the better choice.

If you go around a lot, if you shoot static subjects, if you shoot on a tripod a lot, then the a7r is the best thing out there.

I would also like to point out that this article is about adding an a7r to your Canon kit rather than full-switching to Sony. It lets you get the goodness of that sensor without a heavy investment in new glass.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 03:33:52 AM »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 04:16:44 AM »

C'mon, as soon as you are attaching the lens to the tripod, the size of the camera (in the context of this thread) becomes irrelevant.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 04:17:40 AM »
I've seen a lot of Canon users using this camera for their landscape acts until Canon releases its own comparable camera.  The Sony center guy located in my place (Kuala Lumpur) told me that a lot of users inquire about the A7r and immediately ask where to buy an adapter (then buy them).  It's just fortunate that both Sony and the third-party seller of the adapter is located in the same floor and at the same mall.  Most of my colleagues here are either macro and/or landscape shooters.  I myself, am waiting for cheap second hand ones from the market to use for my landscape photos.

LightandMotion

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Light and Motion Photography
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 05:48:20 AM »
I've seen a lot of Canon users using this camera for their landscape acts until Canon releases its own comparable camera.  The Sony center guy located in my place (Kuala Lumpur) told me that a lot of users inquire about the A7r and immediately ask where to buy an adapter (then buy them).  It's just fortunate that both Sony and the third-party seller of the adapter is located in the same floor and at the same mall.  Most of my colleagues here are either macro and/or landscape shooters.  I myself, am waiting for cheap second hand ones from the market to use for my landscape photos.

Downunder, the adaptor is included in the camera price (as well as the battery grip). Sony have done their marketing.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod10464.htm

1dX  l  1d4  l 5d2  l A7R
www.lightandmotionphotography.com
Alvin Ing

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 06:35:52 AM »
Oh how I wish Sony could arrange to release this in a fully functional EF mount. I don't want no stinking adapter...

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 06:38:07 AM »
Oh how I wish Sony could arrange to release this in a fully functional EF mount. I don't want no stinking adapter...

The Metabones used by Fred is about as close as you're gonna get, which is pretty close...

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 06:41:07 AM »
This is pretty awesome; I hope some Canon marketing folks see Fred's article.

These photos look like they came out of a Phase One or something.

Good to see that the latest Canon glass can really handle the demands of the hi rez sensor (& the Samyang and FD glass did pretty well too!)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 06:41:07 AM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 07:20:45 AM »
Hmm, there's something wrong with this thread: nobody is saying "We don't need that shadow detail" or "Shadow detail isn't important of you expose properly" or "Sony's better DR isn't required if you shoot properly."

Where did all of those folks go?

Perhaps because no one ever did say that. All that has been said is that the difference is not a deal breaker for them.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 07:39:06 AM »
Well, I think this is comparing apples to oranges. Reasons...

5D MK III is about two years old.
The A7R with it's 36MP sensor is 2x the size anything Canon offers.What it should be compared to is MF or the D800
Just about every other specification makes it geared for the MF/D800 crowd. It has no business doing anything that requires speed. Landscape/fashion-portrait: okay

I think it's an awesome camera and the price rocks! If you have the money to spend, cool. It's a Leica M9 competitor and for what it offers, especially the price, I'd take it!

Unfortunately Canon is only offering two year old oranges now :-(
I feel like I just bought a Mercedes, and my neighbor rolled up in a Bentley.

...but his Bentley cost less money?  :P
I am disappointed with this news, like every one here (especially one's like myself who were early adopters and paid $3400 for my 5D3 body)...but in pretty much every other aspect my 5D3 can shoot circles around the Sony. ...and let me remind myself that I sold two 32" prints this week (one shot at 2500 ISO) and my customers were extremely happy.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 07:39:06 AM »