November 26, 2014, 08:41:56 PM

Author Topic: Upcoming trip, any can't miss spots?  (Read 2975 times)

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
Re: Upcoming trip, any can't miss spots?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 11:59:09 AM »
Well, you have received lots of good advice already. I would add a couple though. An American in Amsterdam, especially a photographer, Must go through the Red Light District and you have to go to a Coffee shop. Not necessarily to taste or try the goods, but to have a look and some great shots. To some things we say "Only In America", but these two are (almost) "Only In Amsterdam".

Greece is a phenomenal place. But be aware that Athens is different to the rest. More hectic, noisy and in my view less charming. Acropolis is there, which is a must. But if you can jump on one of the ferries and get out on one of the islands (many of them are a short trip from Pireus), you´ll see the relaxed and friendly Greece. Hydra is close and will give you some great photography opportunity. I have been to more than 20 Greek islands and they are all nice.

I strongly support your 17mm decision. You will find lots of good use for it. If I were to leave anything behind, I would consider the 70-200. I am willing to bet you will shoot >95% of your images at <100mm.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 11:59:09 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
If you can spend some days there you can go to Santorini and put your TS-E17 to good use...

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »
Hi there, I wish you a nice trip.

I can't help you much with Greece and Turkey, but I lived in the Netherlands for a few months. Therefore, I second the idea of an UWA and TS lenses. While I was there, I ended buying a sigma 8-16mm for my crop body as the streets are very narrow and there is some monumental architecture there.

As for places to go, I'd say Zaanse Shcans is surely worth it but may be hard for an overnight stay. Kinderdijk is also renowned for its high density of working wind mills and is not that far from Amsterdam.

In Amsterdam, the museumplein is quite nice and there are some nice places around the Centraal Station, the old port and the Dam\Koningljik paleis. The van Gogh and Rijks museums are really nice to visit, but they won't allow pictures being taken inside if I recall correctly. Also avoid taking pictures in the Redlight district as there are a few people around there that do not really feel like ending up on your Facebook page... It is notorious that the canals in the Redlight are full of cameras. Hop-in canal rides are nice, but they will most likely be inside bubble-glass boats and it may prove hard to get nice pics.

Finally, you'll see that light is good almost all day long during the Dutch winter. The sun never really goes high in the sky so you always get some nice light in open spaces. However, the tight streets also mean that they are not very bright either.

As far as traveling with camera gear goes, I am not one to really get worried.  S**t can happen with or without cameras if you are not taking care. Be insured, relaxed and aware of your surroundings... and enjoy.

Best regards,
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »
I'll be carrying my gear in a ThinkTank Retrospective, so at least thats fairly inconspicuous.

+1 on the Retrospective.  Just back from almost 1 month in India.  I carried my 5diii, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS and 17-40 (my "minimal" travel kit) without issue in that bag comfortably.

My trip was not specifically for photography but taking pics is a big part of what I enjoy when I travel.  Your kit sounds reasonable based on what you are trying to achieve but, personally, will be heavier than what I bring. 

Have a great trip and, by the way, great "people" shots in the souk / bazaar in Istanbul!  And, if your schedule permits, northern Greece has a region call Zagoria with mountains and forests and quaint stone villages with fabulous arched bridges over the creeks.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:39:07 PM by JPAZ »
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 08:55:46 PM »
I really like ThinkTank bags and rollers, but I find the Retrospectives a little frustrating. The top flap is not a particularly good fit and there can be a decent gap into the main compartment, also the top flap Velcro is damn noisy, very very noisy, distractingly so, the trouble is ThinkTank know that and give you the "silent mode" option, but then you have no bag security. The big ones take way too much gear for a long trip on a simple shoulder strap too.

Having said all that the Retrospective 10 is still my number one travel bag, 1Ds MkIII, 24-70 f2.8, 600-EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, iPad, passport and money, and I can go anywhere. If the camera is on a Black Rapid I'll take the 100 IS Macro and the 15 fisheye too.
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

mifho

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 09:38:20 PM »
That's a hell of a lot of expensive glass to be forgetting in a coffee shop after sampling the brownies!  :P
5d mkiii, 16-35L, 24-70L ii, 24-105L, 70-200L f2.8 is II,  Sigma 35 art, 50L, 85L, 135L, Fuji x100s

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 05:25:20 AM »
Hi mifho,
Lol good point.
I'm not sure if this is correct or current but I seem to recall that when we went to Amsterdam we were told it was illegal for non residents to "sample the brownies". Not that I had any desire to anyway, also walked the red light district, most of the "ladies" in the window were scary!  ;D

Cheers Graham.

That's a hell of a lot of expensive glass to be forgetting in a coffee shop after sampling the brownies!  :P
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 05:25:20 AM »

canon1dxman

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 08:02:38 AM »
Hi mifho,
 also walked the red light district, most of the "ladies" in the window were scary!  ;D

Great fun but care needed. Many years ago, a group of us (men with wives!) visited the red light district of Paris. I decided to make a video but hid the camera in a hold all with a hole for the lens. Nothing sinister, just the shops, "ladies" on street corners etc. All was going well until one of the "ladies" spotted the red record light through the partially open bag and we were chased out of the area by some scary looking minders!

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 11:27:38 AM »
This thread is cracking me up!  I didn't meant to start it off with such a paranoid post, but I love where it's gone.  I'm LMFAO about the last couple of posts!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 11:27:38 AM »