July 25, 2014, 08:04:51 PM

Author Topic: Canon's Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Results Released  (Read 3662 times)

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
Canon's Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Results Released
« on: January 29, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »

Canon’s a very large company, often we forget that consumer cameras and lenses are just a small fraction of that, to get an idea of the scope have a look at their financial results for 2013 (if you’re into looking at other people’s money.) Links are PDF’s

An excerpt on digital cameras:

“Within the Imaging System Business Unit, interchangeable-lens digital cameras maintained their top market share despite the challenging environment, which was marked by a drop in demand in Europe and China due to the economic downturn, although demand in Japan continued to expand. In particular, the EOS 5D Mark III and 70D advanced-amateur-model digital SLR cameras continued to realize healthy growth. Furthermore, in Japan, the new entry-level EOS Digital Rebel SL1 and T5i cameras proved popular. As for digital compact cameras, although total sales volume declined due to the market slowdown and the increasing popularity of smartphones, sales volume increased from the previous year for high-added-value models incorporating features that differentiate them from smartphones, such as large-size image sensors and models like the PowerShot SX50 HS and SX510 HS, which feature high-magnification zoom lenses.”

With almost no mention of mirrorless and it’s impact on the DSLR or compact market.

Via [TDP]

cr

canon rumors FORUM

Canon's Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Results Released
« on: January 29, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon's Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Results released
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:49:55 AM »
Within the Imaging System Business Unit, interchangeable-lens digital cameras maintained their top market share...

So despite the trolls, DRones, and naysayers, Canon is still doing something right (namely, selling more dSLRs and lenses than their competitors).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dvunkannon

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »
Improve product mix of interchangeable-lens cameras

Which are the DSLR and high end compact segments.

LarryC

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
Within the Imaging System Business Unit, interchangeable-lens digital cameras maintained their top market share...

So despite the trolls, DRones, and naysayers, Canon is still doing something right (namely, selling more dSLRs and lenses than their competitors).

And Anhauser-bush sells the most beer and Toyota sells the most cars.  That does not mean they make the best products in their respective spaces. What they are all doing well is marketing, like buying out Scott Kelby, or top NASCAR teams, and positioning products for mass consumption. 

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:35:50 AM »

LOL, imagine that. ::)  So many self centered, unrealistic people in the world. >:(
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:36:28 AM »

It´s only due to their great advertising ;)
2x5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L II, 70-300/4-5.6L, 200-400/4L 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Sigma 50/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L II

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »

And Anhauser-bush sells the most beer and Toyota sells the most cars.  That does not mean they make the best products in their respective spaces. What they are all doing well is marketing, like buying out Scott Kelby, or top NASCAR teams, and positioning products for mass consumption.

The products may not have the most features but they simply work for a very large majority of the market. Insofar as cars are concerned,  you can buy a Porshe just like you can buy a Hasselblad.
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 11:34:44 AM »

Ok, then…please define what constitutes the "best product". 

Now…is your definition the same as mine?  As my neighbor's?  As the 347 people living in Manton, CA?  As the 8,337,000 people living in New York City? 

It's simply not possible to define a universal "best."  But it's reasonable to assume that the majority of people buy the product that they think is the best, for them, meeting their needs in terms of features, quality, cost, availability, and innumerable other factors that go into such a decision.  Unlike all the subjective opinions spewed across the internet and elsewhere, yours and mine included, it is an objective fact that more people have decided that Canon dSLRs and lenses are the best, for them…and have done so consistently for >10 years.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 11:57:33 AM »
Ok, then…please define what constitutes the "best product". 
Now…is your definition the same as mine?  As my neighbor's?  As the 347 people living in Manton, CA?  As the 8,337,000 people living in New York City? 
It's simply not possible to define a universal "best."  But it's reasonable to assume that the majority of people buy the product that they think is the best, for them, meeting their needs in terms of features, quality, cost, availability, and innumerable other factors that go into such a decision.  Unlike all the subjective opinions spewed across the internet and elsewhere, yours and mine included, it is an objective fact that more people have decided that Canon dSLRs and lenses are the best, for them…and have done so consistently for >10 years.
If I photographed at ISO 100, static objects, with tripod, lens stopped down 2 points, and needed to print paper larger than one meter in length, and lighten the shadows in PP, the "best" for me would be D800. ::) But, as my use is completely different from the described above, the cameras and lenses canon has been the best for my use. ;) I suspect that most photographers also do not currently use your camera as described above, and therefore 5D mark iii (inferior theoretically) sell more. 8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:34:11 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »

Canon surely should sell more dSLRs and lenses than others.  The key should be the market shares.  If the Canon's dSLRs and lenses market shares are shrinking, that means Canon is not doing something right.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »
sales volume increased from the previous year for high-added-value models incorporating features that differentiate them from smartphones, such as large-size image sensors and models like the PowerShot SX50 HS and SX510 HS

Looks like high end compacts are here to stay.
-100% RAW-

Pag

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 03:10:19 PM »
While I believe Canon's cameras are quite good and obsessing about dynamic range or pixel count is mostly pointless, it's also wrong to say that the company who sells the most is automatically making the best product. There are many factors that impact the sales of a brand, and quality is just one of them.

The amount of lock-in cameras enjoy (because if you have lots of Canon lenses, you're less likely to switch to Nikon even if you believed they had the better camera) ensure Canon will stay in the lead for a while yet. However, if they fail to innovate and drive the photography business forward and just rely on their brand power, I fear they may lose ground in the long term. Leaders do change over time -- IBM and Nokia were leaders in computers and cellphones, and look where they are now.

jeremypark

• Power Shot G16
  • Sydney Photographer Jeremy Park
    • View Profile
    • sydney photographer Jeremy Park
Re: Canon's Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Results Released
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »
what is interesting is that the new technology in the 70D and the overall great video and high MP features in the 5D3, are providing the growth areas.... seems like an acknowledgement to expanding premier video and high MP cameras which is good for my needs... albeit that they are slow to actually do so!
Canon Lenses : 17/4TS, 20/IS, 35/IS, 35/f1.4, 50/1.2,85/1.2,135/2, 200/2.8
websites: http://www.jeremypark.com.au and http://paperscreen.com.au

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon's Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Results Released
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 05:11:33 PM »
Unlike all the subjective opinions spewed across the internet and elsewhere, yours and mine included, it is an objective fact that more people have decided that Canon dSLRs and lenses are the best, for them…and have done so consistently for >10 years.

The only fact is the sales number, the reason (best for them) is speculation on your part unless you mean that whatever people buys is always the best for them at that moment, but in that case I smell a petitio principii.

You don’t have to universally define “best” to understand that “best selling” is not equal to “best product” in the same way that “best dynamic range” is not equal to “best product”.

We buy what we buy for a whole bunch of reasons. Wants, needs, budget, knowledge (or the lack of it), ego, status, indoctrination, propaganda, reviews, expectations, dreams, beliefs, even facts sometimes. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 05:56:17 PM »
Unlike all the subjective opinions spewed across the internet and elsewhere, yours and mine included, it is an objective fact that more people have decided that Canon dSLRs and lenses are the best, for them…and have done so consistently for >10 years.

The only fact is the sales number, the reason (best for them) is speculation on your part unless you mean that whatever people buys is always the best for them at that moment, but in that case I smell a petitio principii.

You don’t have to universally define “best” to understand that “best selling” is not equal to “best product” in the same way that “best dynamic range” is not equal to “best product”.

We buy what we buy for a whole bunch of reasons. Wants, needs, budget, knowledge (or the lack of it), ego, status, indoctrination, propaganda, reviews, expectations, dreams, beliefs, even facts sometimes.

Excluding the small number of people extorted or otherwise coerced to purchase a 'luxury' product not of their choosing, I'd say it's a pretty reasonably assumption that people but what they believe is best for them at that moment.  All of the factors you list, and the myriad of unmentioned factors, are consistent with that assumption.

You're right that the only real facts are that Canon has led the dSLR market for the past 10 years, and has sold more dSLRs and lenses than their competitors during that period.   Latin logic aside, I'm sure there are reasons for their success.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 05:56:17 PM »