December 21, 2014, 07:53:46 AM

Author Topic: RRS tvc-34l sturdy enough for 600mm or Gitzo Systematic Series 4  (Read 3130 times)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
Re: RRS tvc-34l sturdy enough for 600mm or Gitzo Systematic Series 4
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
I used the Gitzo until around 2 years ago when i changed over to RRS, One of my better decisions, and I must admit I did that based on reading CR and in particular Neuro's comments.

Currently I use the following RRS gear, all of it works superbly with the 1Dx + 600 or the 1Dx 200-400.

TVC-34L, to this I set the TA-3-LC-HK Levelling base (I have the TA-2-LC Levelling base when I want get totally low to the ground), On this I mostly use the RRS BH-55 and the PG-02-FG and in particular find the PG-02 an excellent piece of gear, I also use the Stainless Steel TA-3-FS Feet for the Tripod when I'm using the system on Hard Ground.

To attach the Ball Head & Gimbal Head I use RRS Dovetail plates, on my Lenses I use RRS Replacement feet and L plates on the 1Dx Bodies and 5DMK III.

After carrying this gear from Antarctica, Arctic to Africa I haven't had a single issue with this gear, very stable, especially I like the hook arrangement when Imaging in high winds, snow etc, and the gear is extremely well engineered, being an engineer myself I appreciate how the Guys at RRS just produce exceptionally well made equipment.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »

Morlin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 04:04:22 AM »
Big thank you for all your advices.

I have now bought my big white beauty but have not tested it that much because of boring weather and no good tripod. A pretty nice picture of the moon though yesterday together with the 1,4x converter but the ballhead and tripod I have is not sturdy enough so they kept moving constantly =) I will go to the woods this weekend even though I have no tripod good enough. 

I have now ordered the Wimberley gimbal head, the RRS TVC-34 tripod and some Lenscoat camo covers for the lens, tripod and gimbal head. Sadly I have to wait until next paycheck before I buy the RRS leveling base and Better beamer and so on but I can live with that =)

My question to you guys who have the leveling base with clamp is if the construction with the clamp is removable or not from the leveling base? My thought was that if the clamp construction gets worn out or if I´m not that happy with it I´m able to remove the clamp construction and only use the leveling base. Is that possible or is it a solid construction not made that way? I´m still a bit worried that the clamp construction will be less sturdy and not as solid compared to the regular leveling base. I prefer as few moving parts/week links as possible to the "rig" and I´m extremely nervous of the risk of dropping the 600mm to the ground if it falls of the rig somehow. Can a 600mm together with RRS TVC-34, Wimberley gimbal head and a leveling base with clamp be carried over the shoulder in a safe way when walking in the woods for an example?

When looking at RRS products and reading about their gear in different forums and tests people seems to be really satisfied.

I could of course send the same question to RRS but prefer to ask users instead of sales people when it comes to opinions of use.  8)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:11:22 AM by Morlin »

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 05:37:42 AM »
Big thank you for all your advices.

I have now bought my big white beauty but have not tested it that much because of boring weather and no good tripod. A pretty nice picture of the moon though yesterday together with the 1,4x converter but the ballhead and tripod I have is not sturdy enough so they kept moving constantly =) I will go to the woods this weekend even though I have no tripod good enough. 

I have now ordered the Wimberley gimbal head, the RRS TVC-34 tripod and some Lenscoat camo covers for the lens, tripod and gimbal head. Sadly I have to wait until next paycheck before I buy the RRS leveling base and Better beamer and so on but I can live with that =)

My question to you guys who have the leveling base with clamp is if the construction with the clamp is removable or not from the leveling base? My thought was that if the clamp construction gets worn out or if I´m not that happy with it I´m able to remove the clamp construction and only use the leveling base. Is that possible or is it a solid construction not made that way? I´m still a bit worried that the clamp construction will be less sturdy and not as solid compared to the regular leveling base. I prefer as few moving parts/week links as possible to the "rig" and I´m extremely nervous of the risk of dropping the 600mm to the ground if it falls of the rig somehow. Can a 600mm together with RRS TVC-34, Wimberley gimbal head and a leveling base with clamp be carried over the shoulder in a safe way when walking in the woods for an example?

When looking at RRS products and reading about their gear in different forums and tests people seems to be really satisfied.

I could of course send the same question to RRS but prefer to ask users instead of sales people when it comes to opinions of use.  8)
I don't think you have to worry about the clamp. But I had the same worries and decided to go for the leveling base with platform. It means I have to screw the heads on/off when changing, but I normally do that at home prior to a trip, so that is not a problem to me. But having seen the quality of the RRS clamps, I'm sure my worry was unfounded. It is very well built and very safe. If you have the lever version there will always be a minimal risk for it to open uncontrolled, but I'm sure that is more theory than reality.

For maximum mobility and minimum weight, you take a look at this:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18091.0
It is a light weight and low cost solution which works remarkably well. I have walked full days in forests and on mountains with this.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 05:45:08 AM »
The clamp isn't removeable, AFAIK.  I have carried the rig over my shoulder, no issues.  The tops of the legs stick out well beyond the clamp, so the lever won't catch on anything.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Morlin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 06:54:01 AM »
Thank you.

I can honestly say that it´s enough that you two give an advice and I will follow =)

I will then order the leveling base with the clamp. It seems really nice to be able to switch that easy between a ball head and a gimbal head for an example. Even though the dove tails and the leveling base itself is pretty expensive. This is gear I am buying to use for a lot of years to come I hope so I prefer to pay more money now and stay satisfied than be cheap on the gear and regret it later.

I am sooo looking forward to receive all the gear now so I can fully use my new lens. It´s a dream coming true for me. I don´t earn that much but been saving for some time and have forced myself to do some priorities like selling my motorbike and so on. Allready I can tell that it´s worth it =)

Might be posting some pictures later on in another thread.

Regards / Johan

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 07:07:46 AM »
Good luck, we're looking forward to your posts :)
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Morlin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »
Received my RRS TVC-34L tripod today together with the Wimberley gimbal head and some other stuff. Got one word... WOW! =)

The weekend seems so far away now!

Thank you again for your advices.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »