July 23, 2014, 10:20:54 AM

Author Topic: Review: Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT  (Read 5438 times)

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
Review: Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »

Bryan over at The-Digital-Picture has completed his review of the ST-E3-RT remote for Canon’s 600EX-RT flash system.

From his review:

“If you are a professional or serious amateur photographer and have the ability to choose the Canon’s radio wireless system for your uses, the decision to get one or more ST-E3-RT remote transmitters makes a lot of sense.”

Our reviewer, Justin, didn’t weigh in on the ST-E3-RT but did have high praise for Canon’s 600EX-RT system in our review. The bottom line is that Canon has a real winner with their RT system and all the components of it make for an incredible setup for anyone interested in off-camera flash.

You can purchase the ST-E3-RT from B&H on it’s own, from Adorama or save by buying it as part of a 2 speedlight, 1 ST-E3-RT set.

Source [TDP]

cr

canon rumors FORUM

Review: Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
Re: Review: Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:42:17 AM »
I have the 600ex and the ST-E3…. its pretty good in close range and the config options of groups and so on are really useful.

However…. the range outside…. left me wanting.

Maybe I was expecting too much (ie. didn't read the bloody manual :D), but I was doing this beach shoot and was around 70 metres away from the flash. It would only fire every second time and lost connection a couple of times.

But apart from that it's great value!
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »
The YN-E3-RT from Yongnuo is every bit as good, cost over a hundred dollars less and gives you Group mode with pre 2012 Canon cameras, and adjustable M mode in five groups with almost any camera make, even you Fuji owners, plus a very useful AF assist lamp. So far the only thing I have found the Yongnuo doesn't do is work properly in Remote Shooting Mode for pre 2012 cameras, it doesn't fire the flashes but does release the shutter. But considering the positives far outweigh that one minor negative it is tough to not highly recommend the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT over the Canon ST-E3-RT.

As an aside, I don't like the screen angle of either, if your camera is mounted on a tripod and tilted forwards a little it is very difficult or impossible to see the screen or work the controls, I much preffer the vertical screen of the 600's. Also the AF assist pattern of the YN is not as good as the 600 pattern and if you have a close working distance it gets ever higher in the frame, to the point that for product or macro work the beam pattern is out of the top of the frame.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 11:14:07 AM by privatebydesign »
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

JoeDavid

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »
I bought one not too long ago to complement the two 600 flash units that I have.  It works as advertised but, to be honest at nearly $300, I should have went ahead and bought a third 600.  They were on sale with a rebate for $450 at the time.  All of the functionality of the E3 plus the additional flash.

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
I have the 600ex and the ST-E3…. its pretty good in close range and the config options of groups and so on are really useful.

However…. the range outside…. left me wanting.

Maybe I was expecting too much (ie. didn't read the bloody manual :D), but I was doing this beach shoot and was around 70 metres away from the flash. It would only fire every second time and lost connection a couple of times.

But apart from that it's great value!

I did the same thing, except at an indoor *huge* wedding venue and, well, I paid the price for not backing it up with pocket wizards for the range ;)

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:38 AM »
The YN-E3-RT from Yongnuo is every bit as good, cost over a hundred dollars less and gives you Group mode with pre 2012 Canon cameras, and adjustable M mode in five groups with almost any camera make, even you Fuji owners, plus a very useful AF assist lamp. So far the only thing I have found the Yongnuo doesn't do is work properly for pre 2012 cameras in Remote Shooting Mode, it doesn't fire the flashes but does release the shutter. But considering the positives far outweigh that one minor negative it is tough to not highly recommend the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT over the Canon ST-E3-RT.

I just picked up the YN-e3-RT as well and am working on my review. So far: I agree with you completely (And I didn't know about the remote shooting issue, so thanks for that tip). But, and you know this is the case too, some people will only *ever* buy proprietary first party gear, full warranty, local sellers etc. Thankfully the rest of us who are a bit more adventurous get the benefits.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »
The YN-E3-RT from Yongnuo is every bit as good, cost over a hundred dollars less and gives you Group mode with pre 2012 Canon cameras, and adjustable M mode in five groups with almost any camera make, even you Fuji owners, plus a very useful AF assist lamp. So far the only thing I have found the Yongnuo doesn't do is work properly for pre 2012 cameras in Remote Shooting Mode, it doesn't fire the flashes but does release the shutter. But considering the positives far outweigh that one minor negative it is tough to not highly recommend the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT over the Canon ST-E3-RT.

I just picked up the YN-e3-RT as well and am working on my review. So far: I agree with you completely (And I didn't know about the remote shooting issue, so thanks for that tip). But, and you know this is the case too, some people will only *ever* buy proprietary first party gear, full warranty, local sellers etc. Thankfully the rest of us who are a bit more adventurous get the benefits.

Yep I have both and use them interchangeably, check out the AF assist pattern height too, I put my second paragraph in as an edit. I can't sell the ST until the Remote Mode is fixed (and probably won't anyway), I have been in touch with Yongnuo but they are not convinced at the moment it is a bug, though it clearly is as Remote Shooting works differently for pre and post 2012 bodies. One thing I have been very impressed with is the willingness and speed that the Yongnuo team have put into Firmware updates, I started on 1.02 as I got one in the very first batch, and I am now on FW 1.08, just a few weeks later.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »

entlassen

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 01:47:22 PM »
I noticed that the review stated that ST-E3-RT is not capable of 2nd (rear) curtain sync.  I know a 600EX-RT attached to camera hotshoe DOES have 2nd curtain sync.  Can somebody clarify if this is a general problem with other brands too (i.e. using a Nikon dedicated commander unit on hotshoe instead of a flash), or if this is specific problem with the ST-E3-RT?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:52:22 PM by entlassen »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »
I noticed that the review stated that ST-E3-RT is not capable of 2nd (rear) curtain sync.  I know a 600EX-RT attached to camera hotshoe DOES have 2nd curtain sync.  Can somebody clarify if this is a general problem with other brands too (i.e. using a Nikon dedicated commander unit on hotshoe instead of a flash), or if this is specific problem with the ST-E3-RT?

I believe that the YN-E3-RT claims to support second curtain sync (in manual mode).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

entlassen

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 01:51:05 PM »

I believe that the YN-E3-RT claims to support second curtain sync (in manual mode).

Do you know if Yongnuo 603C or 622Cs also support 2nd curtain sync?
Or Pocket Wizards?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »

Do you know if Yongnuo 603C or 622Cs also support 2nd curtain sync?
Or Pocket Wizards?

My PocketWizards do support it, can't speak to the other Yongnuo transmitters.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

YuengLinger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 02:05:18 PM »
I use the st-e3-rt off camera--with my Einsteins and 600s together. Keep the Cyber Commander on camera for firing everything and controlling the Einsteins, and the st-e3-rt in my pocket for the occasional tweaking of the 600s.  (Of course I have Cyber Sync receivers for the 600s!)

I've done a lot of inside stuff with the st-3-rt, and a lot of closer outdoor stuff.  I've never tested the range, but I have fired it from just under 50 yards on a football field with no missed shots.

I think the only feature I miss is the zoom control on the flashes, as I do like to tweak it when the lights are bare, but, otherwise, very useful and reliable.  Have never needed second curtain yet.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:07:20 PM by YuengLinger »

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
The range is 30 meters, or just shy of 100 ft. Even with my 200 I wouldn't need more than that, but if I needed 200 ft it would be extremely annoying. However I will never ever buy another pocket wizard product .
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »

I can categorically confirm the ST-E3-RT does not support second curtain sync (SCS) in any form, and neither does a 600 as a Master, a 600 will do SCS but only as an on camera single flash, no remote SCS is, or has ever been, supported by Canon. The Yongnuo YN-E3-RT will do SCS in Manual mode, you can use M in Group mode and that allows five different manual wireless groups with the YN.

The YN-622C will do SCS with a couple of small limitations, the 603/II/602 do not do SCS in any form, but no other Yongnuo products are compatible with the YN-E3-RT anyway.

If SCS is your primary reason for wireless flash then if you are specific about your setup and intentions we can advise you on the choices you have.

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »
I bought one not too long ago to complement the two 600 flash units that I have.  It works as advertised but, to be honest at nearly $300, I should have went ahead and bought a third 600.  They were on sale with a rebate for $450 at the time.  All of the functionality of the E3 plus the additional flash.

I must be the only person who actually prefers the form factor and weight of the tiny ST-E3 vs 600EX.  It's not like my camera and lens combo isn't heavy enough, without putting a heavy 600 on top making the rig feel off balance.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »