December 18, 2014, 10:50:24 AM

Author Topic: Review: Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT  (Read 7796 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 05:44:07 PM »
I bought one not too long ago to complement the two 600 flash units that I have.  It works as advertised but, to be honest at nearly $300, I should have went ahead and bought a third 600.  They were on sale with a rebate for $450 at the time.  All of the functionality of the E3 plus the additional flash.

I must be the only person who actually prefers the form factor and weight of the tiny ST-E3 vs 600EX.  It's not like my camera and lens combo isn't heavy enough, without putting a heavy 600 on top making the rig feel off balance.

Count me in - I'd have bought an ST-E3-RT even if it was no cheaper than the 600, for the more convenient size/weight.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 05:44:07 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
I bought one not too long ago to complement the two 600 flash units that I have.  It works as advertised but, to be honest at nearly $300, I should have went ahead and bought a third 600.  They were on sale with a rebate for $450 at the time.  All of the functionality of the E3 plus the additional flash.

I must be the only person who actually prefers the form factor and weight of the tiny ST-E3 vs 600EX.  It's not like my camera and lens combo isn't heavy enough, without putting a heavy 600 on top making the rig feel off balance.

Count me in - I'd have bought an ST-E3-RT even if it was no cheaper than the 600, for the more convenient size/weight.

Me too, I like it so much I have the ST-E3-RT and the YN-E3-RT. I'd far rather an ST on camera than a non firing 600.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »
The YN-E3-RT from Yongnuo is every bit as good, cost over a hundred dollars less and gives you Group mode with pre 2012 Canon cameras, and adjustable M mode in five groups with almost any camera make, even you Fuji owners, plus a very useful AF assist lamp. So far the only thing I have found the Yongnuo doesn't do is work properly for pre 2012 cameras in Remote Shooting Mode, it doesn't fire the flashes but does release the shutter. But considering the positives far outweigh that one minor negative it is tough to not highly recommend the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT over the Canon ST-E3-RT.

I just picked up the YN-e3-RT as well and am working on my review. So far: I agree with you completely (And I didn't know about the remote shooting issue, so thanks for that tip). But, and you know this is the case too, some people will only *ever* buy proprietary first party gear, full warranty, local sellers etc. Thankfully the rest of us who are a bit more adventurous get the benefits.

Is the transmission distance any better between the Yongnuo and the Canon?
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

mwh1964

• EOS M2
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »
I support the ST-E3 purchase all the Way. So much more convenient than a 600 flash on top of the camera. This system by far outweighs my talent but is such a joy to use. Go get one.
5D3 | 16-35L IS | 24-70L II | 24-105L | 70-200L II | 70-300L | 15 fisheye | 35 IS | 40 STM | 50 f1.4 | 100L | B&W Kaesemann | 2 x 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | MR14-EX | EOS M + 22 STM + 90 EX | Manfrotto | Billingham | Lowepro | Think Tank

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »

No, they are identical. In the side by side testing I did they both became unreliable at the same distance, but the Canon was a bit better at reconnecting.

Sanaraken

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »

I was thinking of getting another 600ex, but end up just getting the ST-E3. Didnt want to deal with the weight of the 600ex just to be able to use the AF assist beam.
5DIII | EOSM| 24-70L f2.8 II | 70-200L f2.8 IS II | 40 f2.8 | 100L f2.8 | 600EX-RT

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »
I'll be honest, I was really annoyed not getting the AF assist beam that the ST-E2 had, but truth be told, I have yet to have an issue focussing in low light.

Granted, I can always "see" my subjects, so for event or weddings photographers who can shoot in candle light sort of conditions, I can understand why that's a sore point.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »

zlatko

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 08:17:10 PM »
Granted, I can always "see" my subjects, so for event or weddings photographers who can shoot in candle light sort of conditions, I can understand why that's a sore point.
I shoot weddings and it hasn't been an issue for me.  The newer cameras (5d3 & 6d) focus so well in low light that I don't miss the AF assist beam.  I'm typically using the ST-E3 for portraits and there is enough light to focus. 

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 05:55:26 AM »

No, they are identical. In the side by side testing I did they both became unreliable at the same distance, but the Canon was a bit better at reconnecting.

THANKS for the input PBD!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 08:17:17 AM »
I know, this is mainly about the ST-E3-RT, which is "OK" [it should have included AF assist light] but overall I find the Canon RT system to be rather limited. Only one big, expensive speedlite and one expensive controller. The system has been around for quite some time now and still there is no

* small and cheap RT transceiver to integrate optical-only Canon speedlites [580/430) into a RT setup, and ideally also 3rd party flashes [at least in M mode] as well as studio strobes 
* 430EX-RT
* overhaul of the ancient Canon wireless ETTL protocol to finally enable remote 2nd curtain sync and remote control over zoom-reflector setting

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
...overall I find the Canon RT system to be rather limited. Only one big, expensive speedlite and one expensive controller.

Limited in terms of the hardware available, yes.  But, aside from the minor limitations on functionality you mention (2nd curtain sync and remote head zoom), the system is very flexible, very convenient, and very reliable. 

What Canon does very well is extract money from customers.  I'm sure the 4x0EX-RT will be along in due course, after enough 600EX-RT units have been sold.  While I'd like an -RT receiver to integrate a monolight, it's not really in Canon's best interest (from their perspective) to come out with a unit that allows integration of cheap 3rd party flashes into their system, especially if such a unit is 'cheap'.  I can seem them coming out with one priced fairly close to the 4x0EX-RT (say, $50-80 less), making the combination of receiver plus 3rd party flash cost more than the 4x0EX-RT.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 08:55:48 AM »
I know, this is mainly about the ST-E3-RT, which is "OK" [it should have included AF assist light] but overall I find the Canon RT system to be rather limited. Only one big, expensive speedlite and one expensive controller. The system has been around for quite some time now and still there is no

* small and cheap RT transceiver to integrate optical-only Canon speedlites [580/430) into a RT setup, and ideally also 3rd party flashes [at least in M mode] as well as studio strobes 
* 430EX-RT
* overhaul of the ancient Canon wireless ETTL protocol to finally enable remote 2nd curtain sync and remote control over zoom-reflector setting

I find it easier to have just one size for the speedlite.  It makes changing manual settings much easier when you don't have to remember which "group" is the smaller flash and compensate for it accordingly.  So much so, that I my 430 sits unused nearly all the time.

I do wish the the ST-E3-RT had an AF assist light.  It's hard to focus in a dim, low-contrast setting when the ambient lights are down.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
I find it easier to have just one size for the speedlite.  It makes changing manual settings much easier when you don't have to remember which "group" is the smaller flash and compensate for it accordingly.  So much so, that I my 430 sits unused nearly all the time.

Good point, and why after getting one 600EX-RT, I sold my pair of 430EX II's (which I had been triggering with PWs) and replaced them with two more 600's. 

But, if the extra power isn't required, that 'one size' could be a set of 4x0EX-RT flashes instead of a set of 600's, and with multiple flashes that would be significant cost savings. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »

Lawliet

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 09:17:46 AM »

One thing to keep in mind: the RT system is based on a two way communication. No matter how much power you put out, if the response from the flash doesn't reach you you're out of luck. I.e.  getting more range then between two 600EX-RT is unlikely, and I'm not aware of noticable range differences between a 600EX-RT and the ST-E3 as transmitters.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 09:56:19 AM »
But, if the extra power isn't required, that 'one size' could be a set of 4x0EX-RT flashes instead of a set of 600's, and with multiple flashes that would be significant cost savings.

True, although I'd probably still opt for the 600s anyway, especially if the 4x0EX-RT does not zoom to 200mm.  The 600 doesn't have that much power at 200mm for a large group (wide area) at a distance, but for smaller targets, it is handy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 09:56:19 AM »