September 20, 2014, 04:29:57 PM

Author Topic: Review: Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT  (Read 6514 times)

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 10:57:19 AM »
But, if the extra power isn't required, that 'one size' could be a set of 4x0EX-RT flashes instead of a set of 600's, and with multiple flashes that would be significant cost savings.

True, although I'd probably still opt for the 600s anyway, especially if the 4x0EX-RT does not zoom to 200mm.  The 600 doesn't have that much power at 200mm for a large group (wide area) at a distance, but for smaller targets, it is handy.

Good point....I am no that familiar with these units and I did not consider the two-way aspect limits the distance no matter who makes the transmitter....

I am just feeling this all out between the Canon Strobes and transmitters and the Yongnuo equipment...(which is appears that their transmitters are waaaaay more reliable than their flashes)....I am old school, view camera, 4 speedotron flash packs, 6 heads...got out of the biz when digital came along...for about ten years..then picked up a 5DII and started shooting "just for me"....have a 5DIII now and nice lens quiver...and am thinking about putting a 3-4 flash kit together with soft box, beauty light ...etc..but really small and portable....
These units seem light the ticket for studio flash "lite" with a lot of functionality.  I am going to plan this out over the next month or two....  I really don't see anything else that will have the portability, functionality, versatility and compatibility with my camera in this cost range....  I will definitely ponder this for a little while as it is a significant financial commitment.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, 10:57:19 AM »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »
Quote from: neuroanatomist link=topic=19320.msg363083#msg363083
What Canon does very well is extract money from customers.  I'm sure the 4x0EX-RT will be along in due course, after enough 600EX-RT units have been sold.  While I'd like an -RT receiver to integrate a monolight, it's not really in Canon's best interest (from their perspective) to come out with a unit that allows integration of cheap 3rd party flashes into their system, especially if such a unit is 'cheap'.  I can seem them coming out with one priced fairly close to the 4x0EX-RT (say, $50-80 less), making the combination of receiver plus 3rd party flash cost more than the 4x0EX-RT.

Extracting money from customers will become more difficult for canon as soon as there will be yongnuo, phottix and other 3rd party RT-transceivers available. At a fair and cheap price. Definitely less than the yn-st-e3, since there is not much to such a transceiver. I'd reckon usd 49 a piece, maybe 79,-

I will wait until then, its bound to happen soon. Then i will skip 600ex and just use my existing 580 II and 430 IIs ... They have not yet seen enough use for the money canon got for them. :-)

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 05:52:03 PM »
Competition is good!  As a consumer, I welcome more options. 

The pressure from third party manufacturers can only push Canon to re-evaluate if they are getting spanked at their own game.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »
@ BL: exactly my thoughts.

My YN E3 RT just arrived.
Boy, am I curious!

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »
So after using my YN-E3-RT in a pro environment for a few weeks I have to say, it sucks. Mine has been unreliable, with regular loss of communication, remote misfires, and very touchy menu interface that only happens when the thing is mounted on a camera.

I now have to take it off camera to make any adjustments to remote or menu settings, once the thing drops a flash you have to go very close to reconnect.

The thing is a frustration, when it works it is fantastic, especially on pre 2012 bodies, when it doesn't, I just want to throw it away. It is not in the same league of reliability as the Canon ST-E3-RT that I also own.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 03:20:30 AM »
So after using my YN-E3-RT in a pro environment for a few weeks I have to say, it sucks. Mine has been unreliable, with regular loss of communication, remote misfires, and very touchy menu interface that only happens when the thing is mounted on a camera.

I now have to take it off camera to make any adjustments to remote or menu settings, once the thing drops a flash you have to go very close to reconnect.

The thing is a frustration, when it works it is fantastic, especially on pre 2012 bodies, when it doesn't, I just want to throw it away. It is not in the same league of reliability as the Canon ST-E3-RT that I also own.

Thanks for posting. After my two years of complete misery with the PW TT1 and TT5 system, I would never take that chance again, and therefore jumped on the Canon system and I use it every single day, and it NEVER does anything other what I tell it to.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 05:39:41 AM »

ouch ... too bad ... !
Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 05:39:41 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 08:12:40 AM »

That's unfortunate.  Good thing you have the Canon transmitter.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »

ouch ... too bad ... !

Just puts comments like this in perspective.

Extracting money from customers will become more difficult for canon as soon as there will be yongnuo, phottix and other 3rd party RT-transceivers available. At a fair and cheap price. Definitely less than the yn-st-e3, since there is not much to such a transceiver. I'd reckon usd 49 a piece, maybe 79,-

I will wait until then, its bound to happen soon. Then i will skip 600ex and just use my existing 580 II and 430 IIs ... They have not yet seen enough use for the money canon got for them. :-)

You wouldn't get me anywhere near a $79 "smart" transceiver.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 10:45:46 AM »
And the cheaper stuff usually have a bigger profit margin, so what they cost to make makes for an even bigger price difference. Which will also reflect durability, and simply how good it really is. Goes for everything.

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »

ouch ... too bad ... !

x2.  It's too bad Yongnuo could not build a more reliable unit, as it would have been a nice alternative to Canon.  This experience is similar to my experience using Pixel King's on my Canon, which behaved odd at random moments, but ironically the Yongnuo 622C's replaced them and have worked flawlessly  ???
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:57:51 AM by drjlo »

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »
I haven't had the same unreliable connection with my YN-E3-RT as you guys have, but It definitely feels cheaper, and didn't do well when I had it outdoors for a -30C shoot (I can't comment on if the Canon could have fared better).

It works on my 5D2 in the way's I'd want the ST-E3-RT to, and the the AF focus assist is still a nice touch. A friend of mine couldn't get it to work on his Fuji X-Pro1 (remember, this is supposed to offer control with the firmware update on other camera bodies) but again, we haven't tested it beyond that.

I still see it as a workable alternative, but yeah, I wouldn't put everything I had against it, I still pack the Canon one just in case.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »
Anyone tried manually searching the optimal frequency?

I tried my Canon st-e3 until it lost connection, I then went to the "Scan"-mode and it found a frequency for me and I more than doubled the range, I was VERY surprised, since Canon just states 30m and that's it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 06:40:31 PM »
I haven't had the same unreliable connection with my YN-E3-RT as you guys have, but It definitely feels cheaper, and didn't do well when I had it outdoors for a -30C shoot (I can't comment on if the Canon could have fared better).

As for reliability: I'd say the Canon is more reliable at being reliable - less "It works, most of the time at least". Either black or white, no greys in Canonland. Might just be a more demanding setting for the frequency evaluation program? Who knows?

At -30C most batteries go to sleep, and that small thing hasn't enough mass to provide thermal capacity or insulation to keep at least some warmth in and the chemistry going. In such circumstances Lithium cells work best, either the ~1.6V-1.7V AA-sized ones or if you want to go the distance replacing two AAs in series with a single CR123A primary might be an option. Those still work in conditions that would probably have killed your gear a while ago.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »

As for reliability: I'd say the Canon is more reliable at being reliable - less "It works, most of the time at least". Either black or white, no greys in Canonland. Might just be a more demanding setting for the frequency evaluation program? Who knows?

At -30C most batteries go to sleep, and that small thing hasn't enough mass to provide thermal capacity or insulation to keep at least some warmth in and the chemistry going. In such circumstances Lithium cells work best, either the ~1.6V-1.7V AA-sized ones or if you want to go the distance replacing two AAs in series with a single CR123A primary might be an option. Those still work in conditions that would probably have killed your gear a while ago.

On that note, has anyone seen a lithium batterypack to replace the 4 AA's in a flash? For me, and others it would be less of a need to bring the external battery packs, and run longer in wet weather, where a battery back is not the best option.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »