September 18, 2014, 03:58:10 AM

Author Topic: My first panorama - Tetons What did I do wrong?  (Read 3287 times)

PTT

• Power Shot G16
  • 6D
    • View Profile
Re: My first panorama - Tetons What did I do wrong?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 12:22:36 PM »
Have you thought of using the Warp tool in CS6 to straighten your pano?  I find that Adaptive Wide Angle gets wonky on me sometimes.
Pano1: Your original with grid lines (gray) applied (percentage rather than a fixed number..set that in prefs.)
Pano2: Grid lines in red.  Warp tool in gray. Nudge the Warp tool until the water and horizon are flat.
Pano3: Expand the dramatic sky and move the mountains into the bottom 3rd of the image.  Select the Crop tool and drag the top edge upward.  Flatten the image, then select the expanded section and a few pixels of the sky, then use Content Aware Fill.
Pano4: Finished fix. Clean up any weird stuff in the expanded sky with Spot Healing Brush (content aware.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 12:22:36 PM »

yorgasor

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 02:17:46 AM »
Ok, as promised, here's my updated version.  This version was just a simple change of selecting 'cylindrical' instead of 'auto' for the merge type.  This gave me a much cleaner horizon to work with.  Although the changes made by PTT with the warp tool are pretty impressive.  I like the thicker panorama with the taller clouds that he made.

Tetons Panorama 2 by yorgasor, on Flickr

Logan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 09:14:56 AM »
wish there was a way to preview what the different PS pano modes do. took some of the tips in this thread and improved one of mine that was suffering from curved horizon. but now i cant remember which stitching mode worked best, i think it was also cylindrical. thanks for the tips folks!

Larry

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »
  The water line sags pretty bad in the middle.  Is that because of the way the camera pivoted on the tripod?  I was very careful with the placement of the tripod, I'm pretty sure it was level all the way across. .

Let's call what you refer to as the waterline, …"the shoreline".

You can not accurately portray the far shoreline as a straight line, if in fact the shore in the center is closer to you than  at the sides.

A simple compositional correction, to give a more satisfying "balance" to the eye, would be to tilt the image so that the "chord" of the shoreline curve ( a straight line between the ends of what you call the waterline, i.e., the dark streak approximately midway up the image) is "level".

You will lose a bit of the left foreground shore, but the image will, IMO, "Feel" more "right".

HTH.  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »