July 23, 2014, 04:56:42 PM

Author Topic: EOS utility for remote shooting - anyone getting good at it.  (Read 2249 times)

tolusina

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: EOS utility for remote shooting - anyone getting good at it.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 02:04:06 PM »
And how does all this relate to WiFi remote??

I will be buying a decent laptop for this activity.

Jack
Can't say about Wi-Fi on the 70D, I can say about direct connecting Wi-Fi on the 6D and I say, don't count on it.
It's awkward at best to set up, both on the camera and on the other device.
Once, or more like IF you get both devices connected they'll lose connection easily, while connected there is unacceptable lag, NO video over Wi-Fi.
I think I did try the infrastructure mode which requires a router or other access point type device, that connection was solid, lag and delay was still there, still no video possible.

If you have a smartphone, Apple or Android, download the free EOS Remote app by Canon from iTunes or Google Play, see for yourself if what I've posted is true.

I'm pretty sure (that means I haven't tried) the EOS Utility can connect your PC to your camera over Wi-Fi, try setting that up at least to test Wi-Fi connectivity.
---
If you need the range of wireless, go with CamRanger or similar. CamRanger handles video if you need that.
CamRanger can connect to a wide variety of Canons and Nikons, any Wi-Fi equipped phone, tablet or PC can be used for camera control.
CamRanger uses a wired USB connection to the camera, CamRanger is now the camera's Wi-Fi transceiver.
---
If you can stay within the USB cabled length restriction of 16 feet/3 meters (can double that with fancy repeater cables), tethered cabled rocks.
For about the same or less than a CamRanger device, you can get an Android tablet, way way less than CamRanger PLUS a laptop.
The only hardware requirement to tether android over USB is that the device must support the USB Host protocol, which is most all currently available models.
Then choose by screen and budget.
For short runs, you've already got one needed cable, it'll plug into a USB Host/OTG adapter dongle/cable. (OTG = On The Go, Host and OTG are the same thing)
OTG cables go for as little as a dollar on Amazon.
Download a ~$10 app like DSLRcontroller or Helicon Remote and go.
---
If you want full editing capabilities in the field same like your desktop, you need a laptop, likely an Expen$ive one.

If you want full upload capabilities in the field, be prepared to pay for lots of wireless (cellular) bandwidth.

40 on 6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 02:04:06 PM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 02:22:15 PM »
Jack, I think you might be able to use a USB to Ethernet adapter at both ends to extend the cable length as well.  Monoprice.com has cheap and good cables.  Avoid their electronics, but I've used their cables for years with good luck.  I'm getting ready to order 100' of green Cat6 cable to connect my 1D X to my laptop for around $20 with shipping.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
Thanks tolusina,

Unfortunately I'm only partially computer literate and have had little to do with USB, LANs etc., so some of what you're saying is not sinking in.

Let me restate.  It was clunky getting it going but I did have my house laptop controlling the 6D out on my deck, about 15 feet away using the camera/desktop WiFi.  A few times it seemed to be working pretty good then another time I had the 6D out nearly 100 feet in the yard and found everything to be very slow and just about useless but in all cases with live view I had video.  I don't really want cables if I can help it.

I don't understand why I'd have to use/pay for WiFi from some provider??

My wife bought an android phone and I tried that out.  The EOS Remote app was pathetic, allowing little control so I abandoned it.

I will be buying a decent laptop because we will be RV travelling and I'd like to have remote for the 6D but right now I'm just about giving up on it.

Jack
6D  24-70 F4  70-200 F2.8 II  300 F2.8 II  1.4X III  2X III

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »
Thanks mackguyver,

But can't I avoid cables??  I'd be the owner of a 5D3 right now if it hadn't been for the 6D WiFi so I guess it goes without saying I'm not thrilled with this situation.

Jack

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
Thanks mackguyver,

But can't I avoid cables??  I'd be the owner of a 5D3 right now if it hadn't been for the 6D WiFi so I guess it goes without saying I'm not thrilled with this situation.

Jack

Apparently not if you want to go beyond a decent range, but here's very reasonable, yet excellent little WiFi extender I've used for years which is probably worth a try for $16:
Etekcity USB Wireless Wi-Fi Network Adapter with Dual 6 dBi Antennas - 802.11 B/G/N 300Mbps

The only trick with it is to remember to switch off your laptop's built in WiFi when you plug it into the computer.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

tolusina

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 03:25:57 PM »
...... might be able to use a USB to Ethernet adapter at both ends to extend the cable length as well...
Intriguing idea.
I first though no way, camera doesn't know any networking protocols, then I looked up networking protocols and found USB on the list. And, d'oh on me, there must be networking happening over USB when I connect my 6D to my Tablet or phone.

Then, I looked up the adapters. For the price and size, they look to be more than simple wire one plug to another adapters, they appear to have active electronic circuitry in them.
Question for me, maybe for you too, now becomes, can a camera power those active electronics?
- - -

Unfortunately I'm only partially computer literate …....

Don't feel bad, we are all computer illiterate at some (read, many) level(s). I built a PC in the last few months, it's such a beast, it intimidates me, capable of a lot that's way beyond my pay grade.

…..I don't understand why I'd have to use/pay for WiFi from some provider??...

Generally, we don't pay for Wi-Fi, except to buy our own hardware, then we connect it how we like within limitations.
But, Wi-Fi by itself doesn't connect to the internet, for that another connection must be made to the outside world, if at home, it's your cable/DSL/dial up, whatever that you pay for.
If it's at Starbucks, an airport or other public place, someone else foots the bill, allows public access as a courtesy or a customer draw.

….. in all cases with live view I had video....

I doubt this. As soon as Wi-Fi is enabled on a 6D, camera screen reads;
“Movie recording disabled when [Wi-Fi] is enabled.
And all connection to USB devices via DIGITAL terminal are disabled.”
You might be mistaking Live View for video. Yes, in live view, images move around on both the camera's screen and on the remote device, but that's not video.

...... I'd be the owner of a 5D3 right now if it hadn't been for the 6D WiFi so I guess it goes without saying I'm not thrilled with this situation......

I feel for ya here, I hear you loud and clear.
Maybe you can tell I've put some effort into my 6D and its Wi-Fi.
In my opinion, 6D's Wi-Fi is a failure, totally inadequate for the purposes I expected. Yes, I'm disappointed too, but 5DIII fell off my radar as soon as 6D was announced.
I pretty much love most everything else about the camera, I suffer no 5DIII envy.
- - -
Jack, same as if one asks for camera/lens/flash or any hardware buying advice, what is your intended use case?
Do you want a wildlife camera trap remote?
Do you want tethered control of a tripod mounted camera for studio use, landscapes, time lapses?
Something else?

40 on 6

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »
I would venture to say the 5D MkIII with WFT would be much more robust than the 6D and EOS Remote.

Certainly I use an early WFT and the results are good, and the connection, when it drops out, automatically reconnects in some modes.

As for USB's, Tether Tools do very long active USB cables that go well over 15'. Here is a 65' model http://www.rakuten.com/prod/tether-tools-tetherpro-65-usb-2-0-active-extension-cable-high/246956005.html?listingId=264463729&scid=pla_google_AdoramaCamera&adid=18163&gclid=CIS_i-_7iL4CFRIV7AodeggArA
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 06:55:20 PM »
Thanks tolusina,

Of course it wasn't video, my slip. 

My desire since about 1973 was to shoot birds remotely.  It almost happened but I got bogged down in technical stuff, as a poor engineering graduate with little funding.  The desire still exists and I've built a tree pod that I've used with EOS remote but as we all know it's clunky software.  If I had known earlier I would have sought advice and done differently.

However, I gambled on the 6D fully expecting it to be a very good second body and it is indeed, other than I get few BIF.  I knew AF had its limitations.  I sunk available cash into lenses primarily.  I'm biding my time enjoying the 6D while watching rumors on the 7D2.  To see if I could handle the bulk, I bought a 1D2 for peanuts to fool around with in case I'm foolish enough to blow big $$ on a pro body. 

This thread was my hope for advice on untethered shooting of the 6D remotely since birds have favorite/nesting spots and I'm on an acreage and can do this in my own yard, and now's the time (spring).

Jack

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »
BTW, thanks to all who have offered advice.  It's going to take some time for me to assimilate this, since it's all so new to me.

Jack

tolusina

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 07:32:03 PM »
My desire since about 1973 was to shoot birds remotely.....            ..........  The desire still exists and I've built a tree pod that I've used with EOS remote but as we all know it's clunky software.....

......This thread was my hope for advice on untethered shooting of the 6D remotely since birds have favorite/nesting spots and I'm on an acreage and can do this in my own yard, and now's the time ......
Sounds like CamRanger would suit your needs, control over Wi-Fi via your choice of smartphone, tablet or PC.
EOS remote is ok as far as it goes, it's Canon's implementation of Wi-Fi on the 6D that's clunky.
CamRanger doesn't use the 6D's Wi-Fi, it has its own and that's its point.

40 on 6

Valvebounce

• 5D Mark III
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 08:52:57 PM »
Hi Jack.
I'm fairly certain hat DSLR Controller will connect to a 6D via wireless, I just checked their change log and it says added wifi connectivity. So do yourself a favour and try $10 or $15 worth of fabulous utility, I have said before it works beautifully wired, and the functionality is supposed to be the same on wifi from what I briefly read.

I have just seen that I can get something that may be cheaper than a second phone or tv dongle to enable wireless connection to non wifi cameras!  :o  Just off to check the page for this!

Cheers Graham.

My wife bought an android phone and I tried that out.  The EOS Remote app was pathetic, allowing little control so I abandoned it.

Jack
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosine 100-300 retired)

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »
Jack, maybe this will help your WiFi woes:
CPN Complete Guide to WiFi

EDIT: and here's a guide to the EOS Utility I hadn't see before:
Understanding EOS Utility
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:40:52 PM by mackguyver »

Jack Douglas

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 07:08:43 PM »
Thanks mackguyver, 

I'll check into this, although I've gotten myself kind of swamped - bought an old motorhome and and am doing repairs so I can get some photos further away than 2 minutes from my home - like the Rocky Mountains etc., and not just birds. :)

Jack

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 07:08:43 PM »