July 23, 2014, 02:20:20 PM

Author Topic: How many radioactive lenses do you own?  (Read 7495 times)

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
Re: How many radioactive lenses do you own?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »
I think everyone is missing an important factor: ... The white balance might have to be adjusted.  :o

Actually, yes. I really don't use my Takumar lens enough in bright sunlight, so the thorium has turned the Canada balsam the colour of raw honey.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »
Apparently, my M42 mount SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 is radioactive...  :o

flowers

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 03:10:36 PM »

Yes, it's a very safe bet to say that!
Also a hint: removing the yellowing won't remove the radioactive material... Ha ha ha!

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »
Hah! Interesting topic! I never thought to check if any of my lenses were radioactive. Most of my lenses were purchased before the Fukishima incident, and I don't know that Canon was manufacturing anything close enough to that for any of them to become irradiated.

The only potential lens would be the EF 600mm f/4 L II...I purchased that only 8 months ago...
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

flowers

Not likely
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »
Hah! Interesting topic! I never thought to check if any of my lenses were radioactive. Most of my lenses were purchased before the Fukishima incident, and I don't know that Canon was manufacturing anything close enough to that for any of them to become irradiated.

The only potential lens would be the EF 600mm f/4 L II...I purchased that only 8 months ago...

http://www.canon.com/news/2011/mar13e.html
Canon only has one factory in Fukushima and they make printers there. Canon facilities were nowhere near enough to get irradiated. The scope of the earthquake was larger than the scope of the resulting nuclear accident.

Alas, you have no radioactive lenses! Now you'll have to buy a night light or flashlight separately if you need light in the dark. :)

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: Not likely
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »

http://www.canon.com/news/2011/mar13e.html
Canon only has one factory in Fukushima and they make printers there. Canon facilities were nowhere near enough to get irradiated. The scope of the earthquake was larger than the scope of the resulting nuclear accident.

Alas, you have no radioactive lenses! Now you'll have to buy a night light or flashlight separately if you need light in the dark. :)

I've got me my handy little headband light, with a red mode for when I'm stargazing. Best flashlight ever! (Although I'm not sure if it's irradiated...better if it ain't, for my addled little brain.)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4

lion rock

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
Would a radioactive lens help photograph the backside of a lens cap?
And will it cause light leak like the first mkIII?
 ::)
-r

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 02:59:46 AM »

As far as I know, this lens is not radioactive ... but I might be wrong. Can you possible confirm?
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 08:28:28 AM »

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 09:08:18 AM »
Super Tak 50mm, but technically isn’t everything on earth somewhat radioactive?

It’s a cool lens if you have never used one. Super sharp and gives a great warmth/glow to everything.

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »

If that's a joke, then yes...we even have radioactive personalities! :P

If it's not a joke...no, not everything on earth is radioactive. There are radioactive elements and non-radioactive elements. The difference is that radioactive elements have no stable primordial isotopes (in other words, they will be stable for so long as to effectively be stable forever.) There are some elements that theoretically have unstable isotopes but their half life is so long that they don't naturally decay at a rate we can measure or observe. The rest have half lives that can be measured or observed. All artificial elements are unstable and will radioactively decay.

Little bit of trivia. When it comes to the most dangerous radioactive elements, plutonium is considered the most toxic material on earth, as a handful of atoms are apparently enough to kill.  :o So...if your lens is made of plutonium...best ditch it. :P
My Photography

flowers

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 10:00:29 AM »

If it's not a joke...no, not everything on earth is radioactive. There are radioactive elements and non-radioactive elements. The difference is that radioactive elements have no stable primordial isotopes (in other words, they will be stable for so long as to effectively be stable forever.) There are some elements that theoretically have unstable isotopes but their half life is so long that they don't naturally decay at a rate we can measure or observe. The rest have half lives that can be measured or observed. All artificial elements are unstable and will radioactively decay.

Little bit of trivia. When it comes to the most dangerous radioactive elements, plutonium is considered the most toxic material on earth, as a handful of atoms are apparently enough to kill.  :o So...if your lens is made of plutonium...best ditch it. :P

Haha! On a related note, most of my grandmother's glassware was made of uranium glass. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents when I was a child so a large portion of the food I ate during the first 15 years of my life I ate from uranium glass plates

Don't be surprised if I glow in the dark!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:02:20 AM by flowers »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 10:00:29 AM »

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »

Haha! On a related note, most of my grandmother's glassware was made of uranium glass. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents when I was a child so a large portion of the food I ate during the first 15 years of my life I ate from uranium glass plates

Don't be surprised if I glow in the dark!

:o Yikes. Does your tongue glow? :P (Or, for that matter...has your tongue fallen off yet?   ???)
My Photography

Jackson_Bill

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 12:43:42 PM »
You all realize that bananas, potatoes, and even beer is radioactive due to the presence of the naturally occurring K-40 (potassium 40) isotope, right?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 12:43:42 PM »