December 21, 2014, 08:43:21 PM

Author Topic: What to buy????  (Read 627 times)

ljgent

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
What to buy????
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »
I currently shoot with a Nikon D700.. I have used Canon in the past.. I want to get a new Canon.. A lot of my friends shoot with Canon, 5D Mark lll, 6D, 70D, which all interest me. But there is talk about perhaps a 7D Mark ll, in the horizon, What do I do? get one of the three models mentioned above or do you think there will be  7D Mark ll sometime soon?
I shoot a lot of Landscape, Nature, some portrait. I just don't know what to do, which model to buy?

canon rumors FORUM

What to buy????
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
Re: What to buy????
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
What is it exactly that your D700 cannot do, that the Canon 5D Mark lll, 6D, 70D, or rumored 7D II will do better?  The D700 is a very capable camera that is no less relevant today than 4 years ago.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »
I currently shoot with a Nikon D700.. I have used Canon in the past.. I want to get a new Canon.. A lot of my friends shoot with Canon, 5D Mark lll, 6D, 70D, which all interest me. But there is talk about perhaps a 7D Mark ll, in the horizon, What do I do? get one of the three models mentioned above or do you think there will be  7D Mark ll sometime soon?
I shoot a lot of Landscape, Nature, some portrait. I just don't know what to do, which model to buy?

For landscapes, the 12MP of the D700 had a lot of Nikon photographers wanting the higher resolution of the 5D bodies.  Since you presumably own Nikon lenses, if you want higher resolution images, a D610 or D800 would upgrade you for less money.  As noted, the D700 is still a excellent camera unless you are needing severe crops.

I would not recommend going to a crop body like the 70D or 7D once you've had a FF body.
If switching to Canon is something you want to do (to be able to borrow or share lenses with your friends), you need to know if they are using EF-S crop lenses, or EF full frame lenses.  The 5D and 6D FF bodies will not mount EF-s lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »