December 22, 2014, 11:11:24 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Mark II in Q2? [CR1]  (Read 18858 times)

Orangutan

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II in Q2? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 10:07:20 AM »
why they need those big events to test prototypes?!... each local sport or some better ranked sport-league will be able for testing new hardware stuff..?!   :-\

Maybe because the best/most trusted photographers would be there, and they can compare performance among several top-end photographers using current vs. new equipment under similar conditions.

Surely they wouldn't be allowed to use/sell the images made with the test units due to the NDA's they would have signed. Canon or Nikon would have to compensate the photographers enough to cover the potential lost revenues from not being able to sell any pictures.

Presumably, Canon would offer them the service of converting their prototype images to make them look like they came from a current model.  And some direct compensation, of course.

This is all speculation, of course.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 10:07:20 AM »

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 10:17:10 AM »
Canon lends out their prototypes to photoagencies and photogs they closely work with. Best time to organize such a test under real world conditions are at international sporting events like the World Cup and Olympics.

Canon & Nikon have both been doing this for decades to good effect.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • also on superhero vacation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
It is a brave photographer that would test a brand new body at such an important event.
Not really..... It is a multi day event and they are being compensated anyway....

What is the worst case scenario? The camera fails in a way that the photographer does not notice until later.... In this case, you shoot the whole morning and get unusable images..... in the afternoon you use another body. You are still getting paid... It doesn't matter if the pictures were great or if they were crap, you are under contract to take pictures and give them to the client..... and the client would rather you found the problems than someone else finding them AFTER the camera has gone into production. A crap picture that was messed up by the camera is more valuable to the client than that "perfect sporting moment"......
The best camera is the one in your hands

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »
To be honest I was expecting the announcement for the 7D and 1DX replacement to have been made last October 2013.

NancyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:39 AM »
Photographers could use the early time trials to test equipment, or test equipment on "uninteresting" (unlikely to place) athletes. This is a great opportunity to get the top sports photographers in the world to test out a camera designed for action. Also, some of the courses are very long, and the contestants look like ants from a distance. The photographers could be using the new body on the longest lenses. The photographers undoubtedly get paid well for their opinions and suggestions about the prototype camera.

PhilippP74

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 12:56:54 PM »
The 7D is currently positioned in the "prosumer" / enthusiast segment. Could this "testrun" at the Olympics hint at a more "pro" positioning and feature set of the Mark II (the pro APS-C body) or would you just dismiss this as marketing?

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 01:07:27 PM »
So it won't work with existing CF cards, might as well throw all of my existing CF cards in the garbage if they change it.
I'm selling my collection of thirteen CF cards of 2GB or larger. Sold three and and pre-sold five. The rest I need to look for as they are scattered in the house.

Original plan was to replace them with four 64GB or 128GB cards. I hate keeping track of so many loose items that I do not end up using. Why four CF cards? That makes it one body to one card.

Reading up on Sandisk, Lexar & Canon's involvement with CFast (and further readings on XQD) got me thinking that 2014 could be the year that we will see EOS bodies with SATA-based CFast card slots.

Too many eggs in a single basket? That has been the argument since over a decade ago. Never had a memory card go bad on me but misplacing them is always a problem.

FINALLY someone else says it! Yeah, it can happen. But are they eBay cheapies? Do you sit on them regularly? Are the cards 10 years old?

EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 01:07:27 PM »

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 01:08:56 PM »
I think this is just marketing. This is an APS-C camera and what photographer would chance an important shot being missed by a prototype?
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
And here I was hoping it would come out before summer. Q3 release may as well be next year, at which point I'm really wondering about the 5D4.
Maybe I should plan on upgrading lenses before bodies.
-100% RAW-

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »
What I want to know is what memory cards will it be using. Will Canon still stick to UDMA 7 CF (167MB/s) or switch to UHS-II SDXC (312MB/s) or CFast 2.0 (600MB/s).

If they're giving it out to pros, it'll be CFast. Or XQD. I haven't really looked at which one is superior, if either one really is. XQD is based on PCI-Express, while CFast is based on SATA. Either way, while they both support extremely high max speeds, those speeds will only be reached by very few cards, if ever. Until we get new technologies past flash memory. It's getting harder and harder to boost flash speeds, especially in such a fairly small & confined space. With current top end cards just starting to hit UDMA7 max speeds, XQD/CFast support is definitely needed on the next generation of pro cameras.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »
If they're giving it out to pros, it'll be CFast. Or XQD. I haven't really looked at which one is superior, if either one really is. XQD is based on PCI-Express, while CFast is based on SATA. Either way, while they both support extremely high max speeds, those speeds will only be reached by very few cards, if ever. Until we get new technologies past flash memory. It's getting harder and harder to boost flash speeds, especially in such a fairly small & confined space. With current top end cards just starting to hit UDMA7 max speeds, XQD/CFast support is definitely needed on the next generation of pro cameras.

No one has max'd out CFast or XQD yet but they've surpassed UDMA 7 CF's 167MB/s limit.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:06:18 PM by dolina »

jiphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 02:16:28 PM »
What I want to know is what memory cards will it be using. Will Canon still stick to UDMA 7 CF (167MB/s) or switch to UHS-II SDXC (312MB/s) or CFast 2.0 (600MB/s).

Don't forget that CFast is Canon's preferred card format that they've been publicly backing - they'd be crazy to suddenly use XQD, especially since Nikon only has one camera that supports XQD so far, but Alexa is already supporting CFast via standard upgrades for most of their cinema cameras.
7D, 50 f/1.8 II, 20-35 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105 f/4L, 100-400L, 580EX II

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »
Alternatively Canon could go SDXC like what was done to the 60D and 6D. SDXC Version 4.0 allows for 312 MB/s using additional row of pins..

What I should be my worry now is to make sure the 5 CF cards are sold and I find the other 5 cards that I need to sell.

I really just want to have one memory card per body to keep things tidy.

Don't forget that CFast is Canon's preferred card format that they've been publicly backing - they'd be crazy to suddenly use XQD, especially since Nikon only has one camera that supports XQD so far, but Alexa is already supporting CFast via standard upgrades for most of their cinema cameras.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:29:12 PM by dolina »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 02:49:51 PM »
Alternatively Canon could go SDXC like what was done to the 60D and 6D. SDXC Version 4.0 allows for 312 MB/s using additional row of pins..

What I should be my worry now is to make sure the 5 CF cards are sold and I find the other 5 cards that I need to sell.

I really just want to have one memory card per body to keep things tidy.

Ah, didn't know Canon had stated CFast is their preferred.

And no, they won't go any SD format for top end cameras. SD has too many practical limitations for real pro use starting with the tiny size not able to fit in nearly as many NAND packages/dies which means real-world write limits will be a lot lower than CF/CFast/XQD. Plus, it's pretty flimsy compared to CF/CFast/XQD package. Besides the CF pins that is, which is improved/fixed in CFast and XQD.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 03:07:38 PM »
From what I've read Sandisk, Arri, Phase One, Lexar and Sandisk support CFast 2.0.

XQD was developed by Sandisk but not manufactured by them. Lexar and Sony are the sole XQD memory card makers and Nikon D4 the sole camera supporting it. Some months ago BH Photo claimed that Lexar discontinued XQD but Lexar rebukes this.

Only XQD you can buy off BH is from Sony.

CFast is not available on BH as of my writing.

My thoughts are the next 1D, 5D and possibly the 7D will support CFast if they start allowing uncompressed video straight to internal memory card or 4K resolution recording.

CFast would also be required if Canon were to adopt a TLR-like technology to attain higher continuous RAW fps. As I see it memory card read/writes are the main culprit holding back cameras.

XQD and CFast are based on PCIe and SATA technologies. As such are restricted by the same limitations. Like SATA rev 3.0 peaks at 600MB/s and PCIe rev 3.0 peaks at 800MB/s.

Next step up has both CFast and XQD peaking at 1.6GB/s. I think they will be updated once 8K resolution recordings become popular. In say 5, 10 or 15 years from now?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:23:14 PM by dolina »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 03:07:38 PM »