December 20, 2014, 01:46:02 AM

Author Topic: What's Next?  (Read 15542 times)

Picsfor

Re: What's Next?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 01:52:20 PM »
let me explain to you then - pop on over to Nikon Rumours - quite a fun site which shows Nikon owners do have a sense of humour.

In much the same way the 1Dx was prophecised to every ones mirth and disgust, a 36mp Nikon (thought to be the D800)is due for release in the next week or two.

It is this camera that is expected to take the 5D2's crown for best big mp camera at a mid range price. The thing is - no one can get any info on it, except it will be released - what CR guy would assign a CR3 status.

But from what i'm hearing off Nikon people - they do not want such a heavily loaded mp sensor. I think most are happy with the 18-20 that Canon's are currently operating at, preferring to have better noise & DR, focusing and frame rate...  :-\

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 01:52:20 PM »

Justin

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »

For the future I don't see many change in the higher end cameras

- The 5DIII or 3D will be a high mp monster but don't expect speed. It might get the 45 point AF. Should be priced in the 4k range
- If the 3D happens, the 5DIII will remain at its current price and be the entry FF model. With the 7D AF. 2800$
- The 7DII will continue as is. APS-C, high speed, for wildlife and sport.

Look, I agree with you about the need for a higher MP camera. Count me among the astonished with the 1Dx announcement and mostly disappointed. My issue is with the assumption that everyone is making about a 5D successor with a high MP count. Do I want to believe it? Of course! Do I believe it? A lot less so today than before the 1Dx announcement.

Where is it written, or even intimated in the tea leaves that the 5D successor has to be a mega pixel monster? If anything the rejiggered flagship points to Canon possibly reusing the same sesnor in a 5D successor?

Because there is still need for a high mega pixel camera. Canon decided most pro body owner did not need high mega pixel in the 1 series body format but people using 5Ds in studios need resolution and not speed. So my guess is that we will see higher resolution cameras but not in the 1D format.

Still... I expect the 1DxII to be 24+ mp...

Gothmoth

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »
is the factory that will produce the D800 affected by the flood?
i read the D800 will maybe delayed 1-2 month.

sorry for OT.
but im not sure how/if that could affect canons strategy of announcements.

Justin

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »
let me explain to you then - pop on over to Nikon Rumours - quite a fun site which shows Nikon owners do have a sense of humour.

In much the same way the 1Dx was prophecised to every ones mirth and disgust, a 36mp Nikon (thought to be the D800)is due for release in the next week or two.

It is this camera that is expected to take the 5D2's crown for best big mp camera at a mid range price. The thing is - no one can get any info on it, except it will be released - what CR guy would assign a CR3 status.

But from what i'm hearing off Nikon people - they do not want such a heavily loaded mp sensor. I think most are happy with the 18-20 that Canon's are currently operating at, preferring to have better noise & DR, focusing and frame rate...  :-\

The whole thing is pure comedy, becasue as I've been saying Nikon and Canon are switching. All the Nikon shooters are used to low MP sensors. All the Canon users are used to high MP sensors. And the two companies are going in opposite directions.

Gothmoth

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 02:03:33 PM »
The whole thing is pure comedy, becasue as I've been saying Nikon and Canon are switching. All the Nikon shooters are used to low MP sensors. All the Canon users are used to high MP sensors. And the two companies are going in opposite directions.

maybe an amalgamation of user experience?   :P

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 02:10:32 PM »
is the factory that will produce the D800 affected by the flood?
i read the D800 will maybe delayed 1-2 month.

sorry for OT.
but im not sure how/if that could affect canons strategy of announcements.

Rumored announcement for D800 may be postphoned.

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/10/17/chasseur-dimages-two-big-major-nikon-announcements-expected-in-the-coming-weeks-have-been-postponed.aspx/

The D700 was made in Japan, but components likely come from Thailand, so the flood there is going to be a show stopper.  Nikon made all the super precision lens mounting rings in Japan, but added offshore production when the earthquake shut down production in Japan and thus caused Thailand to run out of one critical part.  Now, it could be the other way around.

Many camera components are machined, ground, or molded to tolerances so tight that they are very difficult to even measure, and manufacturers don't want the headaches expense of multiple sources.  Sometimes that bites you.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 02:14:34 PM »

Unless both Canon and Nikon have each realized that there is a need, and more importantly a market, for both high resolution sensors and lower resolution sensors (along with the inherent trade offs of each) and will now try to have both types in their respective lineups?

It would be interesting to know what conversations happened in the engineering and marketing departments at each of Canon and Nikon as recently as 5-6 years ago.  You can almost imagine both companies with a concept of an ideal digital sensor (high res, low-noise, high DR, etc.) that technology couldn't deliver and laying out a road map of what properties to focus on first with the intent of improving over time towards the ideal.  Canon went with working on increasing resolution and Nikon went the other way.  Each marketed their choice as "better" and "more important" but knowing it's really just a matter of how an image would be used that defined what mattered most.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 02:14:34 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »
Regarding November 3rd, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for some type of EOS Full Frame video / still hybrid camera, like a better 5D2, probably with lower megapixels.

The 1DX was a bit disappointing from a video perspective as it was pretty incremental. But then again the 1DX belongs to the Photogs. All it needed was a better codec and 1080p 60fps, which even point and shoot cameras can now do, and I would have been satisfied.

The 5D2 shows that's there's a serious market for a full frame video camera. Just have it do 4:2:2 and have 60fps 1080p. You can leave the high speed overcranking for the dedicated video cameras.

A hybrid would be nice because I could use it for video as well as photo time-lapses which is obviously much better on a DSLR than a video camera.

Come on Canon, pull through for us video people.

I think we'll see two video cams on nov third. The lower end one will  prob be 1080p@ 60fps  4:2:2, compatible with all the EF lenses.

shenshaw

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 02:36:30 PM »
I have been waiting to transition into DSLR filmmaking.  My holding out for the 5DmkIII is over...  I will get the 7D and some better glass while I wait for mkIII.  Then sell back the 7D.

Canon 14-24

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2011, 02:45:33 PM »
Common 14-24 lens!

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »
Aside from Craig's observation that if you release two cameras, one will not be a 5D Mark III, I also agree that the collapsing of the 1D / 1Ds lines into one doesn't mean that there won't be a high megapixel camera for studio use in a cheaper line, possibly with a smaller body.  This is a conclusion I had come to earlier and I think that despite the apparent move by Canon into the "let's push small pixels" camp, we've only seen it for one camera.

I think this may be a good move on Canon's part.  While many people will look askance at any 1D camera that has fewer megapixels than a 5D series body, the call for 1D series bodies with high megapixel counts (above 18) seems to be somewhat less than many expected, especially since there isn't really much of a gap between 18 and 21 (which is about where the 1Ds Mark III sits).  The sort of situations the 1D X seems best suited for - sports and photojournalism - don't require more than 18 megapixels, really; at least not for most photographers.  There's enough other features in the 1D X to differentiate it from other camera lines - and hopefully the 61-point AF sensor means that we can expect better AF sensors to start appearing in other lines, as well.  And even if that weren't the case, if they could point to IQ advantages in the 1D X over another full-frame camera with more megapixels (though I expect that sheer shooting speed will be the primary advantage), that's another area where the camera lines will be naturally differentiated.

Personally, I've felt that 20 megapixels is something of a psychological hurdle, somewhat like 100 of an item seems like more than 99 of an item.

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 03:23:48 PM »
Common 14-24 lens!

+1. I think we're the biggest fans of this idea.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

Blaze

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »
Common 14-24 lens!

I must be missing something. The 14-24 is a common lens?
Nikon makes one, but does anyone else?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »

gene_can_sing

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 03:41:02 PM »
I have been waiting to transition into DSLR filmmaking.  My holding out for the 5DmkIII is over...  I will get the 7D and some better glass while I wait for mkIII.  Then sell back the 7D.

At least wait until Nov 3rd. It's only 2 weeks away. Trust me as someone who has shot a lot of DSLR video the last few years. The moire and alias and soft video image can drive you crazy. It was good when it came out 3 years ago, but now compared to Sony and Panasonic, it's very dated.

Just give it 2 weeks before you buy. I think something good will come.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:43:28 PM by gene_can_sing »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »
Common 14-24 lens!

I must be missing something. The 14-24 is a common lens?
Nikon makes one, but does anyone else?

I think it was mean to say "come on 14-24 lens" ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »