August 31, 2014, 12:23:09 AM

Author Topic: What's Next?  (Read 14714 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
What's Next?
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »

That was fun!

The EOS 1D X caught a lot of people off guard, and shows a dynamic shift in Canon’s EOS product line. There are surely some really exciting and more than evolutionary products in the pipeline from Canon.

November 3, 2011 (No Rating)

I’m still pretty convinced that the November 3, 2011 announcement in Hollywood will be in regards to a video camera or two. One of them will NOT be the 5D Mark III.

The basic breakdown of what I’ve been told so far.

• Possibly 2 cameras

• EF & PL Mount

• Super35mm Sensor

• One could be EOS branded

• A 30-300 lens.

• Possibly 3 lenses in total.

I’m told whatever launches may not be a 4K camera, but will become a 4K camera down the line.

No CR rating on any of this stuff. Partially due to ignorance and new sources passing on information.

October 26, 2011

The PDN show is in New York City next week, and there is an event scheduled for October 26, 2011.

One thing that will be possibly introduced is the Canon Pro-1 printer. A 12 colour A3+ printer.

I do not expect any other EOS camera to be announced. The 1D X deserves the spotlight it’s going to get next week.

Lenses (No Rating)

The always difficult to predict lens announcements. I think (not know) we’ll be seeing a lens or two announced within the next month. Whether it’s next week or not I don’t know.

Only 2 lenses have been mentioned as being “announced” soon.

5D Mark III

Canon may have amalgamated the 1D line, however I think a split of the 5D line is a possibility. I have been told that has been discussed and put into practice with prototypes. I don’t expect any announcement of such a camera(s) until well into 2012. That could obviously change.

1Ds Mark III Studio Replacement?

We were told ages ago that the 1Ds Mark III replacement would be a massive departure. The dates haven’t come to fruition, but the big megapixel Nikon has, as well as the 1Ds being eaten up by the 1D X.

I’ll do a breakdown of the new 1D X shortly. I hope to head to NYC next week to check it out in person.

cr

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:53:39 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

What's Next?
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:51:43 AM »

Gothmoth

Re: What's Next?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:55:12 AM »
The dates haven’t come to fruition, but the big megapixel Nikon has,

what do you mean by that?

i thought the D800 36 MP nikon is just a rumor.
a rumor like the 36 MP 1Ds MK3 replacement. ;)

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »

One of them will NOT be the 5D Mark III.</p>

But the other one will be? :)
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:40 AM »

Dang, you beat me to it!   ;D

cbphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »
I wish the lens announcements were for a new 45mm TS-E and 90mm TS-E. I've tried the Schneider 50mm TS and it blows the doors off Canon's 45mm.
~ CB

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »
I don't think a high mega-pixel 1 series camera will come back. Canon decided they wanted to go with only one flagship model and they will probably stick to it for a little while. What I would have liked to see is this new flagship to be high mp at slow speed and lower mp at high speed. But, maybe Canon doesn't have the technology to to this yet.

For the future I don't see many change in the higher end cameras

- The 5DIII or 3D will be a high mp monster but don't expect speed. It might get the 45 point AF. Should be priced in the 4k range
- If the 3D happens, the 5DIII will remain at its current price and be the entry FF model. With the 7D AF. 2800$
- The 7DII will continue as is. APS-C, high speed, for wildlife and sport.

I expect all of these camera to get better weather resistance, especially the 7DII since it would be used outside by sport, wildlife or birder...

There you have it for the XD familly. 3 or 4 cameras, but only one flagship, the 1Dx

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »

Dang, you beat me to it!   ;D

Sick minds think alike . . . I was going there too  ::)

Hrm, the price of the EF 24-70 f/2.8L has been steadily climbing over the years, I wonder what a II would go for if released . . . I'm still hoping for a new kit lens on the 5DmkIII. 

I personally hope they hold off announcing the 5D until they can stock it within a month . . . these long drawn out releases are worse than not knowing.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »

Justin

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »
Indeed, what does this mean?

The dates haven’t come to fruition, but the big megapixel Nikon has,

what do you mean by that?

i thought the D800 36 MP nikon is just a rumor.
a rumor like the 36 MP 1Ds MK3 replacement. ;)

Justin

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »

- The 5DIII or 3D will be a high mp monster but don't expect speed. It might get the 45 point AF. Should be priced in the 4k range
- If the 3D happens, the 5DIII will remain at its current price and be the entry FF model. With the 7D AF. 2800$

Where is it written, or even intimated in the tea leaves that the 5D successor has to be a mega pixel monster? If anything the rejiggered flagship points to Canon possibly reusing the same sesnor in a 5D successor?

As for lenses: I wish he hadn't said 24-70 either. Mostly becasue the rumors of late have hinted at no IS implementation which is a stinking shame for video use and improving the hand-holdability of the lens in low light. I guess that's what the 2-stop improvement in high iso nose of the 1Dx is for, but what about the rest of us who won't be using that cam?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:03:55 PM by Justin »

Justin

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
We were toldages ago that the 1Ds Mark III replacement would be a massive departure. The dates haven’t come to fruition, but the big megapixel Nikon has, as well as the 1Ds being eaten up by the 1D X.

The 1Dx could easily be construed as a massive departure from the 1Ds3 line when you consider everyone expected a commensurate MP increase, i.e. 1Ds2->1Ds3. What's with the speculation of another 1Ds3 replacement? It was announced yesterday, no?

briansquibb

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Perhaps they will make the 5DIII with the same sensor, 1 cpu and 18mp as a cutdown 1DX (like 1DS to 5DII).

Howabout the long rumoured 3D with 36MP as an upgraded 5DIII? 5fps, small (5D sized) body, 1DX AF etc.

Canon have to take the market off Nikon - so that is:

D300S -> 7DII with the 1DX AF and shutter
D700 -> 5DIII
D3 -> 1DX
D3X -) 3D

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »

Where is it written, or even intimated in the tea leaves that the 5D successor has to be a mega pixel monster? If anything the rejiggered flagship points to Canon possibly reusing the same sesnor in a 5D successor?

Because there is still need for a high mega pixel camera. Canon decided most pro body owner did not need high mega pixel in the 1 series body format but people using 5Ds in studios need resolution and not speed. So my guess is that we will see higher resolution cameras but not in the 1D format.

Still... I expect the 1DxII to be 24+ mp...

gene_can_sing

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »
Regarding November 3rd, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for some type of EOS Full Frame video / still hybrid camera, like a better 5D2, probably with lower megapixels.

The 1DX was a bit disappointing from a video perspective as it was pretty incremental. But then again the 1DX belongs to the Photogs. All it needed was a better codec and 1080p 60fps, which even point and shoot cameras can now do, and I would have been satisfied.

The 5D2 shows that's there's a serious market for a full frame video camera. Just have it do 4:2:2 and have 60fps 1080p. You can leave the high speed overcranking for the dedicated video cameras.

A hybrid would be nice because I could use it for video as well as photo time-lapses which is obviously much better on a DSLR than a video camera.

This seems to be a good Tier Full frame product level

1) 6D or whatever it's called. 12 mp photo/video hybrid. Entry level with better video 4:2:2 1080 / 60. Leave the serious overcranking and 4:4:4 for the video cameras. That way no toes are stepped on.
2) 1DX. The high performance camera at 18 mp
3) 5D3 with higher mp for those who need it. Not as high performing as the 1Dx, but with more mp.

None of those cameras really step on each others toes and serve a different purpose, which will still cause people to buy multiple cameras.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:18:08 PM by gene_can_sing »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »
I'm now expecting there to be three full frame body's, the 1Dx has brought us the 18mpx sensor, which will go into another lower priced body, which to my mind will be a entry level full frame in a 7D/5D sized body, with a low framerate and mid range AF, perhaps with a dynamic range approaching the 1Dx and priced at just above 7D level, which would point to a 6D line.   This leaves space for the 5DIII to intro a high MPx sensor in the 35-40MPx range, again with mid range AF, great dynamic range but poor frame rates.

Its clear the 1Dx is here for a good reason, that's the sports in 2012, with Euro 2012 in June/July and the Summer Olymipics in July/August.   The lenses that have been launched in the last couple of years have led to these sporting events.  Where does that leave the 5DIII ? Well currently nowhere, there isn't a rush to get it out, but there is a lovely new 18MPx sensor all ready to pop into a new model, that model could well be out sooner than the 1Dx, so my feeling is a 6D in the winter season is a great possibility, to get the sensor in the field early, iron out any early fab issues and make sure that Canon doesn't get high end event egg on its face.  That's what I'd be doing at least ;-)
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »
Stop me if I'm sounding really cynical here, but Canon have stated that the new 1DX replaces both the 1D Mk4 and 1Ds Mk3.  Well it basically does, the resolution differences are negligable and every other specification appears to be an upgrade, so no more need for seperate 1-series bodies... Except there still seems to be demand for a full size high resolution DSLR; how much extra R&D costs would it take to put a (for example) 36MP sensor in a 1DX body and call it a 1DY (with perhaps 6fps).  That way you've suckered a whole load of people into buying the 1DX as a 1Ds Mk3 replacement and can also sell them a 1DY next year; voila, double the sales.  If they complain that the 1DX was meant to replace both the 1D and 1Ds series, Canon simply states "oh, but it did; this is an entirely new camera series". 

Like I said, stop me if I'm sounding too cynical...  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »