August 20, 2014, 11:13:03 PM

Author Topic: What's Next?  (Read 14664 times)

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: What's Next?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »
I have been waiting to transition into DSLR filmmaking.  My holding out for the 5DmkIII is over...  I will get the 7D and some better glass while I wait for mkIII.  Then sell back the 7D.

At least wait until Nov 3rd. It's only 2 weeks away. Trust me as someone who has shot a lot of DSLR video the last few years. The moire and alias and soft video image can drive you crazy. It was good when it came out 3 years ago, but now compared to Sony and Panasonic, it's very dated.

Just give it 2 weeks before you buy. I think something good will come.

It may not change your mind about DSLR film making, since the alternatives are prohibitively expensive, but check out the 3-part series "The Great Camera Shootout 2011" at www.zacuto.com

The third in the series shows the motion artifacts that DSLRs are prone to due to the rolling shutter of CMOS sensors.  It will be interesting to see if what Canon announces on Nov 3rd will address this issue and if they announce something affordable for indie film makers or only cameras to compete with RED.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »

intown

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Hrm, the price of the EF 24-70 f/2.8L has been steadily climbing over the years, I wonder what a II would go for if released .

I have been considering this lens and also noticed that the price has been rising.  What is the reason for this?

What would be the advantage to leaving  IS (image stabilization) off?

The ideal announcements for me in the next couple of weeks would be new entry level full frame camera that has nice video features and the announcement of the EF 24-70 f/2.8....

Anticipation -- Better than the deed or the afterthought. 

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »

For the future I don't see many change in the higher end cameras

- The 5DIII or 3D will be a high mp monster but don't expect speed. It might get the 45 point AF. Should be priced in the 4k range
- If the 3D happens, the 5DIII will remain at its current price and be the entry FF model. With the 7D AF. 2800$
- The 7DII will continue as is. APS-C, high speed, for wildlife and sport.

I expect all of these camera to get better weather resistance, especially the 7DII since it would be used outside by sport, wildlife or birder...

There you have it for the XD familly. 3 or 4 cameras, but only one flagship, the 1Dx

Not a bad series of predictions. I also expect that the 5D successor will have a different, higher mp sensor. It seems as though the sensor is the real differentiating factor in the 1DX and I don't see Canon devaluing the line by using the sensor in other bodies – at least not in the near term.

Makes more sense to me to offer a model with a high mp sensor for those who need the resolution.

I do think we will see a 7D or similar moving up the scale into the pro-level with weathersealing, etc. Perhaps even a one-piece model with a built in battery pack like the 1D series. They may end up splitting the 7D into two lines, an enthusiast model and a pro model for sports and wildlife photographers who want the extra reach they are losing with the end of the APS-H sensor.  I really hope that the next generation 7D sensor also follows the philosophy of maintaining similar megapixel count and concentrates on improving dynamic range and ISO sensitivity (I can dream can't I?)

Contrary to what many on this forum wish for, I don't think we will see an under $2,000 full frame model. I'm not even sure it's possible to produce a full frame body at that price point.

Finally, I found Canon's comments about up-sampling very interesting. Is this just hype to rationalize the reduction in resolution or have they really done something that will make up-sampling a realistic alternative? We'll have to wait and see, but it's entirely possible that their software engineers (or possibly in conjunction with Adobe) are working on or have developed new algorithms to make up-sampling a more viable alternative.

I know next to nothing about software, but it sure seems to me that features like "content aware fill" and focus sharpening (as teased at Adobe Max) are a lot more complex and difficult than up-sampling an image.   
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 04:53:32 PM »
Contrary to what many on this forum wish for, I don't think we will see an under $2,000 full frame model. I'm not even sure it's possible to produce a full frame body at that price point.

Canon can do a $2000 FF DSLR if they want to. Just look at the price of 7D. The difference in FF sensor and APS-C is about $200. Throw in another $200 for larger body, penta prism etc. You have your $2000 FF. If you start with 60D, you can have a $1500 FF easily. However, Canon will do neither one of the above hyperthetical model. Canon wants to Keep FF as a more expensive model (read it  as higher profit).

Justin

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »
Hrm, the price of the EF 24-70 f/2.8L has been steadily climbing over the years, I wonder what a II would go for if released .

I have been considering this lens and also noticed that the price has been rising.  What is the reason for this?

What would be the advantage to leaving  IS (image stabilization) off?

The ideal announcements for me in the next couple of weeks would be new entry level full frame camera that has nice video features and the announcement of the EF 24-70 f/2.8....

Anticipation -- Better than the deed or the afterthought.

The price of nearly all the current EF and EF-S lenses has been rising, excpet for a few more recently released lenses. Retailers tend to release at full msrp then back down a good 10%. Give them a few years though, becasue they start to creep rigth back up, especially when Canon raises their MSRPs, which them seem to do almost once a year.

Gene

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 05:09:27 PM »
Canon can do a $2000 FF DSLR if they want to. Just look at the price of 7D. The difference in FF sensor and APS-C is about $200. Throw in another $200 for larger body, penta prism etc. You have your $2000 FF. If you start with 60D, you can have a $1500 FF easily. However, Canon will do neither one of the above hyperthetical model. Canon wants to Keep FF as a more expensive model (read it  as higher profit).

If anything that's an argument for why it can't be done. The problem is you're forgetting about margins; even if Canon were willing to accept a lower margin % than the 7D on a higher-end camera (not likely, but for the sake of argument,) the retailers would not. You really have to multiply the component price delta by at least 2 and more like 3 or 4 to get the final retail price impact.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 05:31:09 PM »
If they came out with the hypothetical 6D as a lower MP video oriented DSLR, I would pay a premium for that if it had 4:2:2 and 1080p 60. I would gladly fork out $3 to $3.5 K for something like that without hesitation.

It would be nice to have a sub $2K full frame, but I would gladly pay much more for useful, worthwhile upgrades.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 05:31:09 PM »

ianhar

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 05:39:13 PM »
I see the 200-400 is quite possible since the olympic is nxt year. With the 1.4 extender it should cover more than asph could cover

macfly

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 06:14:53 PM »
1Ds Mark III Studio Replacement?

Checked back in to see if there was any Canon news, and seeing that is seriously music to my ears as I've just discovered that the factory in Thailand that makes the Sony/Nikon chips has been flooded out, and production of the upcoming 36MP cameras has been indefinately postponed!

I just sent all my lenses and body off to CPS for a full service and overhaul as it looks like I'm stuck with my trusty Mklll for a while longer, but I cancelled my long standing order for what turned out to be the 1Dx, a camera that was obviously not made with me in mind. If Canon can really get a high MP 100iso high quality monster out before Sony/Nikon recover from this second disaster then I'll be happy to stay with Canon, but either way I know my current gear will easily last another year.

wopbv4

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »
Hi,

I thought that the 200-400 1.4X was a reality?

see

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-200-400mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Extender-1.4x-Lens-Review.aspx

I am saving for the $$$$$ that it will cost

Hope this helps

Ben
1DX, 7D and lots of gear

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 07:02:47 PM »
Canon can do a $2000 FF DSLR if they want to. Just look at the price of 7D. The difference in FF sensor and APS-C is about $200.

That's the first time I've seen that figure. Can you document it?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »
I also expect that the 5D successor will have a different, higher mp sensor. It seems as though the sensor is the real differentiating factor in the 1DX and I don't see Canon devaluing the line by using the sensor in other bodies – at least not in the near term.

My thinking exactly.

They may end up splitting the 7D into two lines, an enthusiast model and a pro model for sports and wildlife photographers who want the extra reach they are losing with the end of the APS-H sensor. 

Canon already split the former xxD line into the 7D and the 60D. Will they further split the 7D?
It seems to me that the 60D successor will need to be "re-imagined" again to be more competitive.
Can't tell how this will affect the 7DII.

Agree again. That would only devalue FF as a premium offering.
The 5DII is "affordable" enough already and I'm hoping that the 5DIII will stay at the same price point.

Doodah

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 08:41:39 PM »

Yes, I am confused too. It's a lens that was announced some time ago, just that the release date is delayed (much like what happened with the 8-15 fisheye).

What I want to see: 24-70 f/2.8L with better optics and 14-24 f/2.8L

What I personally wish to have: FF with pentamirror or mirrorless. Just want to have a cheap, low weight Rebel type FF camera. :) That's just me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 08:41:39 PM »

Cetalis

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »
 Don't wanna be too pessimistic, but a high res FF probably isn't happening for a while, if any at all; the 1DX is their flagship and their marketing constantly tells us that the lower MP is better. I highly doubt they'd contradict themselves that fast. Also, maintaining the infrastructure to make different sensors seems to be quite a pain if they insist on having 4 APS-Cs use the same sensor. My guess is that the 5Dmk3 will borrow the 1DX sensor and come out after the sensor production stabilizes, and late enough to not cannibalize 1DX sales.

The 7Dmk2 is also overdue and so far they've thrown out a new xxxD every year, and the current APS-C lineup doesnt match their new low MP strategy; this will drive their marketing department crazy. I'd expect a new APS-C coming out before any other FF so they don't cut out of each others' sales, while making it seem like they're refreshing everything.

I'm guessing that new lenses will be coming out first since they just announced a camera, but it's just a guess.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:06:44 PM by Cetalis »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 10:57:55 PM »

Yes, I am confused too. It's a lens that was announced some time ago, just that the release date is delayed (much like what happened with the 8-15 fisheye).

What I want to see: 24-70 f/2.8L with better optics and 14-24 f/2.8L

What I personally wish to have: FF with pentamirror or mirrorless. Just want to have a cheap, low weight Rebel type FF camera. :) That's just me.

I believe the 200-400 was announced to be "in development" and as yet not an officially announced product.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 10:57:55 PM »