July 07, 2015, 06:13:40 PM

Author Topic: Q. regarding 70-200 2.8 IS II infinity performance @ 200mm  (Read 2148 times)

d

• Power Shot G7X
Re: Q. regarding 70-200 2.8 IS II infinity performance @ 200mm
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 04:06:07 PM »
When shooting something like the moon, make sure there are no thermals between you and the subject...ie any house roofs between you...or the thermal air movement will kill your sharpness.
Have you calibrated your lens and camera? I tends to help a bit too...or pop it on a tripod (turning off the IS unit) and use live view.

As mentioned above my post of the moon image, I *was* on a tripod, and focussing manually with LV.

Cheers,
d

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 04:06:07 PM »

d

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 04:16:22 PM »

1. On 04/04/2015 the moon was full. Your photo is from 04/10 or beyond. What gives?

2. You say you had to pull exposure a couple of stops. My understanding is that pulling exposure is overexposing and under developing. At f/2.8, 1/100th of a second at ISO 100 I am amazed you could achieve any kind of accurate focus on moon detail with such a bright moon in your live view screen. It must have looked like the sun. This isn't a lens or camera problem. This is an over exposure problem making it near impossible to get a decent focus.

3. Was the camera in manual mode? If not, it should be for this.

4. Were you in the city or the country?

5. How far was the tripod extended? Was there a weight used? Was there any wind?

What happened to all the other version of this post with all the extra questions - did you decide to change it?

Answer: Yes

1. Lunar eclipse on the 4th.

Answer: Ahhh yes, the eclipse.

2. Live View can be set to either simulate the exposure, or auto adjust brightness when viewing.  I use the latter - it did not look like the sun, and has no influence on being able to gauge focus in LV anyway.

Answer: You say that you used the latter. So it was set to auto adjust brightness when viewing? I think the former would have been better. Were you manually focusing?

5. Tripod setup was more than up to the task, conditions were perfect.

Answer:The camera was low to the ball head and the legs not fully extended? The moon is a tiny dot at that focal length on a full frame 1DX. Any tiny movement is going to give one blur. One wants the tripod set as short and squat as possible if one wants the sharpest possible focus on tiny distant objects. That's really what I am asking about the tripod. I've got carbon fiber tripods, but when I shoot the moon, I try not to set them up for my comfort, rather, for the least possibility of movement. You did all that with MLU, delay, remote shutter release, etc. That is why I ask about the tripod. Does "Tripod set up was more than up to task" reference gear or setup?

6. Was there a filter of any kind on the lens?

7. Manual or AF?

d.

I really don't require a tutorial on tripod use - as stated earlier, assume the setup was sound and conditions were perfect (because they both were)...I just want to know whether @200mm 2.8 focussed to infinity, this lens would be expected to deliver sharper details than what is seen here.

CanonFanBoy

• EOS M2
  • In awe of the photography pros I see here.
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 09:28:59 PM »

1. On 04/04/2015 the moon was full. Your photo is from 04/10 or beyond. What gives?

2. You say you had to pull exposure a couple of stops. My understanding is that pulling exposure is overexposing and under developing. At f/2.8, 1/100th of a second at ISO 100 I am amazed you could achieve any kind of accurate focus on moon detail with such a bright moon in your live view screen. It must have looked like the sun. This isn't a lens or camera problem. This is an over exposure problem making it near impossible to get a decent focus.

3. Was the camera in manual mode? If not, it should be for this.

4. Were you in the city or the country?

5. How far was the tripod extended? Was there a weight used? Was there any wind?

What happened to all the other version of this post with all the extra questions - did you decide to change it?

Answer: Yes

1. Lunar eclipse on the 4th.

Answer: Ahhh yes, the eclipse.

2. Live View can be set to either simulate the exposure, or auto adjust brightness when viewing.  I use the latter - it did not look like the sun, and has no influence on being able to gauge focus in LV anyway.

Answer: You say that you used the latter. So it was set to auto adjust brightness when viewing? I think the former would have been better. Were you manually focusing?

5. Tripod setup was more than up to the task, conditions were perfect.

Answer:The camera was low to the ball head and the legs not fully extended? The moon is a tiny dot at that focal length on a full frame 1DX. Any tiny movement is going to give one blur. One wants the tripod set as short and squat as possible if one wants the sharpest possible focus on tiny distant objects. That's really what I am asking about the tripod. I've got carbon fiber tripods, but when I shoot the moon, I try not to set them up for my comfort, rather, for the least possibility of movement. You did all that with MLU, delay, remote shutter release, etc. That is why I ask about the tripod. Does "Tripod set up was more than up to task" reference gear or setup?

6. Was there a filter of any kind on the lens?

7. Manual or AF?

d.

I really don't require a tutorial on tripod use - as stated earlier, assume the setup was sound and conditions were perfect (because they both were)...I just want to know whether @200mm 2.8 focussed to infinity, this lens would be expected to deliver sharper details than what is seen here.

In that case, my answer is a simple yes.
Canon 70D, Canon EX 2 III, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM, Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 IS STM, Canon EFS 18-55mm3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon 600EX-RT x7, Canon ST-E3-RT

Hector1970

• EOS M2
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 10:24:39 AM »
There are so many variables
The moon is so far away and a small object in a big sky.
It's moving too.
My 70-200 is sharp but I'd reasonable in my expectations.
Even at 400mm the moon isn't that big.
Borrow something bigger and see if that gets you better results.
A smaller moon often has more contrast. You see the craters more clearly.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • King of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »
1. Where did you take the shot, geographically?  That will determine environmental issues.  I live in Florida and on a typical humid night, that's about what I'd expect for sharpness.

2. How did you focus in LV?  Manually or using contrast AF?  Generally I find that using contrast AF (using the remote to activate AF) is most accurate.  In both cases, is it possible you moved the camera, even a tiny bit, with your hands, affecting focus before you tripped the shutter?
More than most, less than some

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »