September 02, 2014, 09:39:32 PM

Author Topic: 24-70 f/2.8 L II front coating peeling off?  (Read 8653 times)

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: 24-70 f/2.8 L II front coating peeling off?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »
UPDATE: I've just heard back from my friend, the technician at the service centre told him that it is very unusual for the lens coating to peel in this way after such a sort period of time. Usually they would expect to see signs of very heavy usage on the body of the lens in these cases. The service centre have been instructed to replace the front element under warranty and send the damaged front element back to Canon for further investigation. Meanwhile it looks like my friend will have his repaired lens back tomorrow.
I'd say this might be a case of an isolated manufacturing defect. I don't think it's anything to worry about if you own this lens, but worth knowing in case it does happen to you.
They do a large batch of them at once.  It is a very critical process, but its hard to understand why it would not affect a whole production run, or at least a whole tray of them, unless someone happened to somehow get just one lens dirty, or the cleaning process missed one lens.

You can get some info about the process here;

http://youtu.be/qzpt49qq6v4

Even with the most thorough quality control, there is always variability which can mean that a defective unit slips through inspection. This is especially so when you are using statistical process control to ensure that correct standards are being achieved. This might be the case when there are a large number of units and it is uneconomic to inspect them all (although, as the video link clearly shows - Canon are claiming 100% sampling for lens element QC checks at the grinding stage), or when a particular check requires a unit to be destroyed (e.g. you wouldn't want to crash test every car you made!). This could possibly be the case (I'm speculating here) with lens coating resilience: you could test a statistically significant percentage, but if the testing process is damaging to the lens element or takes a long time (e.g. an accelerated ageing simulation), you couldn't test them all. Japanese companies tend to lead the way in process control and I'm sure that Canon has well developed procedures and tight tolerance limits for its processes, but even these cannot guarantee that no faulty unit will reach the customer. I'm guessing that given the opinion of the repair centre technician that it is not caused by misuse, is why Canon have expressed an interest in investigating the problem further: this is the sort of problem that technocratic Japanese managers like to deal with.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »
UPDATE: I've just heard back from my friend, the technician at the service centre told him that it is very unusual for the lens coating to peel in this way after such a sort period of time. Usually they would expect to see signs of very heavy usage on the body of the lens in these cases. The service centre have been instructed to replace the front element under warranty and send the damaged front element back to Canon for further investigation. Meanwhile it looks like my friend will have his repaired lens back tomorrow.
I'd say this might be a case of an isolated manufacturing defect. I don't think it's anything to worry about if you own this lens, but worth knowing in case it does happen to you.

That is a good, responsible  reaction from the manufacturer.... S___ happens, they can either learn from it or deny it... looks like they chose to learn.

+1 -which is why I wanted to update the thread when I heard of the outcome: credit where credit is due.

shhooter

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »
Seems i've run into the same issue with my 24-70L II (owned since October 2012). Noticed what looked like light scratches developing on the front element a few months ago but it was only visible in extreme off-angle lighting. Recently it's become much worse and clearly visible in normal light.

I've contacted CPS and will hopefully be sending the lens off this week. Glad to hear Canon replaced your friends under warranty, hopefully i'll have a similar result.

This is what my lens looks like:

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 06:38:43 PM »
Seems i've run into the same issue with my 24-70L II (owned since October 2012). Noticed what looked like light scratches developing on the front element a few months ago but it was only visible in extreme off-angle lighting. Recently it's become much worse and clearly visible in normal light.

I've contacted CPS and will hopefully be sending the lens off this week. Glad to hear Canon replaced your friends under warranty, hopefully i'll have a similar result.

Of course after reading this I immediately dropped everything & painstakingly examined my 24-70 from every conceivable angle... Happily it checks-out just fine.

Its impossible to tell just from the picture, but the front element on your 24-70 kind'a looks like the coating may be wearing-away due to overly aggressive cleaning. Any chance that's the cause?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:40:56 PM by JustMeOregon »

shhooter

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 07:46:45 PM »
Glad yours checks out okay.

Its impossible to tell just from the picture, but the front element on your 24-70 kind'a looks like the coating may be wearing-away due to overly aggressive cleaning. Any chance that's the cause?

That's what it looks like to me too. Funny thing is, this lens has never been dirty enough to get an extensive cleaning. I've never rubbed it with anything or used cleaning liquids. I usually use a rocket blower to blow away dust and occasionally hit it with a lens pen. Never had a problem with other lenses and similar treatment.

Hopefully Canon can tell me more this week.

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 09:46:51 PM »

Was yours one of the first off a new production line, by any chance?  I ask because it looks like there are air bubbles between the lens and the coating, like perhaps they didn't allow the cleaning solution to fully evaporate from the glass before depositing the coating or something.

shhooter

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »
Was yours one of the first off a new production line, by any chance?  I ask because it looks like there are air bubbles between the lens and the coating, like perhaps they didn't allow the cleaning solution to fully evaporate from the glass before depositing the coating or something.

My serial number is 235, one of the first batches made probably. Just sent off to Canon Service in NJ.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 10:42:11 AM »

My serial number is 235, one of the first batches made probably. Just sent off to Canon Service in NJ.

Wow.  I am getting more and paranoid about begin a Canon early adopter.  My OMG I have to have that new lens/camera experience have been bad (mostly), and then to hear this...

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »
I wonder if I have to worry. I just got this lens with no chance to use it yet.

Up to now users of this lens have reported the following:

1. Bubbles in the glass.
2. Clicking when zooming
3. Marks from filters that come in contact with lens (albeit Roger from Lens Rentals reported the problem happening only with no-name cheap filters but still...)
4. Damage in coating.

Mine does not have bubbles, and does not click when zooming. Plus, it seems that the Hoya HD2 does not come into contact with the front element.

So I will just have to worry for coating in a few months...  ;D

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »

Yikes :o ... not a nice thing to happen to an expensive lens like that ... I can somewhat understand the pain, coz mine was stolen along time ago :'(
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2014, 12:21:27 PM »

1. Bubbles in the glass.
2. Clicking when zooming
3. Marks from filters that come in contact with lens (albeit Roger from Lens Rentals reported the problem happening only with no-name cheap filters but still...)
4. Damage in coating.

Mine does not have bubbles, and does not click when zooming. Plus, it seems that the Hoya HD2 does not come into contact with the front element.

I'm pretty much wondering the same as well. I hope using the lens at 40C+ temperatures won't have an effect on this lens which is almost always on one of my cameras :-\
Light is language!

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 12:33:21 PM »

1. Bubbles in the glass.
2. Clicking when zooming
4. Damage in coating.

I'm pretty much wondering the same as well. I hope using the lens at 40C+ temperatures won't have an effect on this lens which is almost always on one of my cameras :-\
For about 8 months of the year, I routinely use my lenses (Canon, Nikon, Tamron & Sigma lenses) in temperatures ranging between 40°C to 55°C (104°F to 131°F) in very dusty desert conditions, and during 2 of those months, (August & September), extreme  humidity is also added to the high temperatures ... but so far nothing like this has ever happened to any of my lenses ... of course, all my lenses (with the exception of EF 40mm pancake) have B+W filters on them for protection.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:35:09 PM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 12:40:21 PM »

1. Bubbles in the glass.
2. Clicking when zooming
4. Damage in coating.

For about 8 months of the year, I routinely use my lenses (Canon, Nikon, Tamron & Sigma lenses) in temperatures ranging between 40°C to 55°C (104°F to 131°F) in very dusty desert conditions, and during 2 of those months, (August & September), extreme  humidity is also added to the high temperatures ... but so far nothing like this has ever happened to any of my lenses ... of course, all my lenses (with the exception of EF 40mm pancake) have B+W filters on them for protection.

That's comforting ... though 40C+ temperatures won't be. with all the problems cited for the 24-70II, I feel lucky I don't have one and I' sure hope it stays that way!~
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 12:40:21 PM »

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »
Terrible to hear so much wrong lately with this lens. I got mine right when released and has been fantastic all around. Perfectly sharp edge to edge at 24mm and 70mm, not the faintest sound of clicking or coating issues. I did exchange my first copy due to slight decentering, but after that no issues!

Canon really should start doing some better QC checks though, especially on the L glass we pay good money for.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 06:27:22 AM »
I'm sad to hear that this issue has raised its ugly head again; I sympathise with your situation shhooter.

You'll notice from my earlier posts that Canon (like JustMeOregon) accused him of over cleaning. I would suggest sticking to your guns over this; whilst it is impossible to tell the condition of your lens from the photo you posted, unless it is a total knacker, I think that the onus is on Canon to prove misuse. Whilst I wouldn't want to be the one to have to issue a court summons against a global corporation, I think the law (in Britain, at least) would be sympathetic. In the UK, under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, "goods must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose". Canon's UK website states: 

"The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM is robust enough for daily professional use. Weather sealing protects against dust and moisture, while a fluorine-coated front and rear elements are easy to clean."

I would argue that the front coating peeling off a lens that is otherwise in good condition and under two years old (release date: February 2012), doesn't fit within that description. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 06:27:22 AM »