July 24, 2014, 09:38:15 AM

Author Topic: 24-70 f/2.8 L II front coating peeling off?  (Read 8148 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 24-70 f/2.8 L II front coating peeling off?
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2014, 12:29:52 AM »
personally I have had nothing but good experiences with both canon and sigma service

85 f1.4 siggy went in for +13 afma came back perfect 5 days later and been good as gold ever since

had a brand new canon 5Dmk3 with faulty AF unit very first ones off the line, whole camera replaced immediately.

another 5Dmk3 with faulty lens mount would lose communication with heavy lenses and AF would intermittently stop working mostly happended using 70-200 lenses canon replaced the lens mount and associated electronics and camera was back in 4 days.

24-105 covered in iron ore slurry me and the 1D3 aswell, ended up getting iron ore in the focus ring, lens was out of warranty but it was stripped cleaned checked and came back like new 3 days later and cost $150.

70-200 f2.8L (wifes one) she tore the weather sealing gasket (i have no idea how) anyway they replaced it and lens was back in a couple of days (also out of warranty).

product support and service is something IMO that canon do extremely well
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2014, 12:29:52 AM »

Calypso Poet

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »
So far, we've had three failures, not by regular members, but those who came to the group asking for info. 

I've been reading/lurking this forum for a while.  When I saw others were having the same problem I had with the 24-70II, I figured it was time to register and post my story.  I do feel this is a very limited problem, but  people should know about just in case. 

So, an update.  The lens shipped out today.  Canon service assured me it would be taken care of because the lens was still under warranty (for another week).   So, it looks like everything will be OK, and I'm not out much except shipping charges and loss of the lens for a week or two.   Kudos to Canon service on that front.  I wasn't as happy when they said in order to replace the 10 cent part which fell off the top of my 5d3 (ie the piece that says AV, TV, M, etc) I would have to send my camera in and the whole dial assembly would have to be replaced at fair cost.   Yikes.  Fortunately, I scoured my car and kayak and luckily found it and will re-glue it myself.

All in all, I've been generally pleased with Canon service, though there have been a few issues along the way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »