August 21, 2014, 01:06:28 AM

Author Topic: Canon's Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Results Released  (Read 3795 times)

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon's Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Results released
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »
I would guess by the way they worded this, that they lost market share, but still maintained the lead.  If they had increased their leading market share position, they almost assuredly would have stated that here.

Just making a point about the clever way that statements can be worded to give a positive (or negative) spin.

Canon might have lost share this year, but the relevant comparison is market share over several years.  From past charts I've seen, market shares can shift several % points year-to-year.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon's Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Results released
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon's Fiscal Year 2013 Financial Results Released
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 09:54:56 AM »
..., the EOS 5D Mark III and 70D advanced-amateur-model digital SLR cameras ...

Did they just call the 5D3 an advanced-amateur-model?  :o

Indeed they did.  The 1-series are the 'pro' bodies.  OTOH, Canon Europe lists the 5DIII in the pro section. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »

Indeed they did.  The 1-series are the 'pro' bodies.  OTOH, Canon Europe lists the 5DIII in the pro section.

Marketing professionals write these blurbs and make these classifications to help them sell camera bodies.  Professional photographers take photos with the tools they have.  The two really have very little to do with one another.  It is actually funny, but pros often use what is most cost effective and not necessarily the "technical" best product.  Several pros I know haven't upgraded much of their gear since, well, when was the D300s released? 

Just to admit at how effective the marketing classifications are, I did desire the 1DX ever so slightly more when I read that and I did feel my 5DIII ever so slightly diminished.  But of course, I am over it now.... ;)

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 11:38:03 AM »

Oh good!  DxO Optics Pro should then move the 5DIII to the standard version and save US customers $100.   ::)

gwflauto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 03:32:24 PM »
I just read this statement from yesterday:
Smartphones and tablet computers are adding sophisticated lenses and sensors, eroding demand for Canon’s PowerShot compact models and EOS high-end sets and leading to the first annual drop in shipments of single lens reflex models. Canon expects to sell 7.6 million single-lens reflex cameras in 2014, which is 50,000 fewer than last year, while sales of compact models are forecast to drop 20 percent to 10.5 million units, the company said.
The upper end camera market seems to be affected too. We don't know, what the balance sheets of other makers will show.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:47:35 PM by gwflauto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 03:32:24 PM »