October 20, 2014, 06:02:30 AM

Author Topic: 5D mkll. Where to purchase  (Read 2887 times)

Leopard Lupus

5D mkll. Where to purchase
« on: October 20, 2011, 03:11:06 AM »
I know the 5D mk ll instant $100 rebate is going on until the end of October, but based on a few posts I have seen on CR, contributors are claiming the camera body is $2000. Am I missing a promotional code or something? Here is the US (with the rebate) we are looking at $2399...

canon rumors FORUM

5D mkll. Where to purchase
« on: October 20, 2011, 03:11:06 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
Re: 5D mkll. Where to purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 05:03:13 AM »
from the sounds of it the mk3 is imminent...  which will make new and 2nd hand mk2s much cheaper...  maybe worth hanging on a little while..

mreco99

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 06:17:20 AM »
if you call imminent between mar 2012 and nov 2012 (and thats not definate) then yes it might be imminent.

Aaron78

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:17:44 AM »
I know the 5D mk ll instant $100 rebate is going on until the end of October, but based on a few posts I have seen on CR, contributors are claiming the camera body is $2000. Am I missing a promotional code or something? Here is the US (with the rebate) we are looking at $2399...

Henry's of canada, no other place to go in my opinion. I live in NY and ordered mine about 2 weeks ago, $2,012 shipped international express, took two days to get to me from toronto. They are great to deal with, and you still retain the normal canon warranty. If you want a 5D Mark II, don't hesitate. Paypal only for out-of-country purchases, so make sure you have a paypal account...

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 08:01:41 AM »
from the sounds of it the mk3 is imminent...  which will make new and 2nd hand mk2s much cheaper...  maybe worth hanging on a little while..

People said the 5D3 release was imminent this time last year...  look at us now.  I don't expect an announcement for it until Spring 2012 at the earliest...  and then shipping up to 6 months later.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »
Hey guys... I'm just going to throw this out there... I have a 7D... I have/had money set aside for a downpayment for a house we are looking to buy and extra for a 5d mark III... The longer and longer this draws out the more and more tempted I am just to buy the 5d 2 now (and possibly trade-in/liquidate once the mark 3 comes out) and basically spend that money before it gets allocated somewhere else (i.e. kids, christmas, house, life, etc...) and I wont have that money as readily available whenever this sucker pops out... So with all that being said... Yes the 5d2 has a better sensor (fullframe) than the 7D for the most part and has slightly better ISO performance... is there any other feature that the 5d2 has that the 7D doesn't?  Is the quality SOOO heads and shoulders better than the 7D that I should plop down the $2k now while I can get it at this price or is the difference really so small i should wait?  Nothing's wrong with my 7D and I plan on keeping it as a backup camera, but... Honest opinions welcome.. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:13:04 AM by awinphoto »
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

zhap03

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
@awinphoto... I'm sure you've stumbled upon this website: www.the-digital-picture.com but I thought I would cover the bases anyhow.  It's a good resource for researching canon stuff.

I have a 7D and a 1Ds3... with my 7D, I can't take advantage of the wide angle range on my L lenses and getting true aperture/dof.  That's the only thing that bugs me.  However, I love how responsive and low-profile the 7D is compared to the 1Ds3.  Sorry, I know you asked about the 5D2 but I thought that I could add whatever I could anyways.  I really love my 7D's AF and AE systems.  I've been holding out for a 5D3 in hopes that Canon incorporates all the 7D details with the 5D3 full frame.  Good luck with your situation.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
@awinphoto... I'm sure you've stumbled upon this website: www.the-digital-picture.com but I thought I would cover the bases anyhow.  It's a good resource for researching canon stuff.

I have a 7D and a 1Ds3... with my 7D, I can't take advantage of the wide angle range on my L lenses and getting true aperture/dof.  That's the only thing that bugs me.  However, I love how responsive and low-profile the 7D is compared to the 1Ds3.  Sorry, I know you asked about the 5D2 but I thought that I could add whatever I could anyways.  I really love my 7D's AF and AE systems.  I've been holding out for a 5D3 in hopes that Canon incorporates all the 7D details with the 5D3 full frame.  Good luck with your situation.

Thanks for your comments.  I was aware of the site and the wide angle situation... Before the 5d2 came out I was saving for it, then of course life happened, car had issues, money got depleted, and hence I ended up with the 7D's... =)  Dont get me wrong, I love the 7D... It's served me and my clients well so far, and I hear these jabs here and there "of the 7D isn't as good as the 5D because of... "  "the 7D isn't a pro camera..."  yada yada yada... I use it professionally and I do plan on making a jump to full frame when possible.. It's a fine camera but there are trade off's for both cameras... Ideally a 7D with a full frame sensor would be my perfect camera but the longer this goes out and all the chatter that goes on gets discouraging... I feel somehow if I dont get it now it'll never happen given how the economy and life is... especially with the record low prices... But then again I get gun shy and if it's really not that worth it, I find myself talking myself out of it... hmmmm....  Plus when the 5d3 comes out the 5d2 would be new enough where i could recoup most my losses on it... maybe...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

mreco99

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 11:54:58 AM »
Hey guys... I'm just going to throw this out there... I have a 7D... I have/had money set aside for a downpayment for a house we are looking to buy and extra for a 5d mark III... The longer and longer this draws out the more and more tempted I am just to buy the 5d 2 now (and possibly trade-in/liquidate once the mark 3 comes out) and basically spend that money before it gets allocated somewhere else (i.e. kids, christmas, house, life, etc...) and I wont have that money as readily available whenever this sucker pops out... So with all that being said... Yes the 5d2 has a better sensor (fullframe) than the 7D for the most part and has slightly better ISO performance... is there any other feature that the 5d2 has that the 7D doesn't?  Is the quality SOOO heads and shoulders better than the 7D that I should plop down the $2k now while I can get it at this price or is the difference really so small i should wait?  Nothing's wrong with my 7D and I plan on keeping it as a backup camera, but... Honest opinions welcome..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2pk-Wtvedo&feature=related

if you want the numbers
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II-vs-Canon_EOS_7D

that should answer that
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:13:58 PM by mreco99 »

Leopard Lupus

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »
+1 to Aaron78, thanks! Just ordered mine from them!

Yes, the 5D mk lll is supposed to come out within the next year, but at this point I need the mk ll and am willing to take the loss of a few hundred when I resell it for the mk lll.

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »
$1999 price is Canon Direct refurbished. I bought one this way and it was perfect. They do charge tax and shipping.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_214217_-1
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 12:39:47 PM »
Arwinphoto, I'd buy the 5D MK II now.  At $2,000 its not going to decrease in value for a long time, used ones go for that price.  I have the 5D MK II, a 7D, and just sold my 1D MK III.  All are great cameras, but the 5D is the one I grab for general use, and the 7D I have for tethered product photography use in my studio, as a backup body, and for birding or sports.

I'm toying with the idea of pre ordering a 1D X, but haven't decided.  I'll probably wait to see what else comes along. 

The cost of developing a new FF sensor is said to run a billion Yen, so Canon may be using the sensor in other products as well, rather than develop and support two FF sensors.  Supporting a separate FF sensor is pricey, separate software, hardawre spares, and a whole host of extra expense, so 5D MK III might just have the 18mp sensor as well, and the autofocus is fine for my use.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 02:13:27 PM »