September 17, 2014, 03:45:33 PM

Author Topic: updating to Maverick 10.9?  (Read 5806 times)

dgbarar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: updating to Maverick 10.9?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »
Hi All,

Here is a better URL for what I previously described as it explains why there are slow finder operations, how to fix it, and what to do when 10.9.2 arrives which may have a better solution than "remarking" out a line of code in terminal.

http://osxdaily.com/2013/11/24/slow-open-save-dialog-problem-mac-os-x/

Cheers,

Don Barar

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 05:07:46 PM »
That worked a treat, thanks!

It even fixed the initial dock delay where taking the pointer to the bottom wouldn't make it pop up without having to do it twice.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

dgbarar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »
Hi Harry,

Glad that worked for you.  Just remember to remove the "#" before updating to 10.9.2 when ever it become available.  Not sure why, but that is what we are being advised to do.

Cheers,

Don Barar

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 05:44:01 PM »
Ok, will do.

Thanks again.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Jeff

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • DC Architectural Photographer
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 02:12:08 PM »
Thanks for all the insights I appreciate them, guess I'll wait until 10.9.2 just to be safe.

dgbarar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Other than this issue with Finder (which is essentially solved with the posted work around) and Apple Mail (when using Gmail) I can find no other practical issues with Mavericks 10.9.1.  Waiting is not really required.

Cheers,

Don

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »
Well, my patience got the better of me and I installed the 10.9.2 beta today. It's on the 7th iteration so I thought it must be as near as damn it to finished.

So far I'm seeing a nice improvement. It just seems snappier. Folders populate near instantaneously, and Mail seems to work now.

I'll update you on anything else I see.

I'm not interested in any new features, I just want it to work properly.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:49:27 PM by Harry Muff »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 09:17:24 PM »
Have they gotten over the external HD wipe clean issue yet? I haven't even considered Maverick because of that.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

dgbarar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »
Hi Harry et. al.

Good they have resolved the finder issue with 10.9.2. beta.

I have encountered another problem with 10.9.1.  It has to do with loss of WiFi on wake-up from sleeping when connected to 2.4 GHz WiFi.  The work around has been to turn off the bluetooth radio prior to sleep.  Do you have a way to check if this issue has been resolved.

Cheers,

Don Barar

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:30 PM »
Have they gotten over the external HD wipe clean issue yet? I haven't even considered Maverick because of that.

I've heard something about that, but haven't seen any untoward behaviour from it.

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 02:33:43 PM »

Not sure if this is the issue you're referring to, but back in November of 2013 Western Digital acknowledged a "HD wipe clean issue" was their fault (and not Apple's) and has since been rectified with a software update to "WD SmartWare."

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/26/western-digital-releases-new-hard-drive-software-after-mavericks-data-loss/

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59:24 PM »

Not sure if this is the issue you're referring to, but back in November of 2013 Western Digital acknowledged a "HD wipe clean issue" was their fault (and not Apple's) and has since been rectified with a software update to "WD SmartWare."

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/26/western-digital-releases-new-hard-drive-software-after-mavericks-data-loss/

Thanks, I think it probably was just WD software, but you know how these things are talked up on launch  :)

At one stage it felt like if you sneezed with Maverick on a computer within 5 miles of your data it would be fried, don't you just love the Internet?
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
Two things. One is off topic. The time in the upper right hand corner is ofd by 7 -8 minutes every week. When I open it corrects itself.   

Issues with DPP. My 24-70II for DLO would not not update. It was like this for a while and I just thought Canon had not released it yet. I decided to reinstall DPP.

Did a full uninstall and used the disk that came with my 5D3. Install was great but every time I tried to update to 3.13.51 DPP crashed when I tried to open an image. Canon USA detects your OSX and auto selected Mavericks.

I tried several more times with no success. I then tried the Canon Canada website and it does not detect your OXS version, it just has a drop down box and you have to select it. It offered 10.9 (and lower) which is Mavericks, they just don't include the name. I tried that about 3 times and it failed as well. I went back to the Canon USA site and again it detected Mavericks however since that just continued to fail I clicked on the drop down box and on a whim tried 10.8 and I was able to update to 3.13.51 without crashing. Not sure why that worked, but it did, so I don't really care.

I was also to successfully update all my lenses as well. What a nightmare. I would be have been easier if I didn't have to restart the commuter each time. What an archaic system. Probably programmed by the dinosaurs  :P   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »

dgbarar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 06:22:49 PM »
Hi All,

For those that would like to know, 10.9.2 was released today.  The release did resolve the issues with a slow finder.  Hooray.  However, it did not resolve the Bluetooth/WiFi bug.  This is bug is as follows.  With Bluetooth enabled and connected to a 2.4 GHz WiFi source once the computer goes to sleep it does not find 2.4 GHz sources on wake-up.

Don Barar

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
I thought about Installing 10.9 on a hackintosh because 10.9 is a freebie.  :-X :-X :-X

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »