September 20, 2014, 10:04:35 AM

Author Topic: Lens Calibration / Micro adjustment  (Read 6199 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Lens Calibration / Micro adjustment
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »
A last question,  is it always the lens being calibrated in relation to the cam, or both ways? In other words, if you have two cams one front-focusing and another back-focusing with the same lens, can the cam-lens calibrations get everything in line, or is it either one cam or the other...

As I understand it, when Canon 'calibrates' a camera and/or lens, they do their best to set the baseline to zero on everything, rather than specifically trying to match lens to body. 

As to the lens being sharp throughout the focal range, that depends on the lens.  Generally, zoom lenses are sharper in some parts of the focal range than others, due to the design of the lens itself - I don't expect that calibration would change that.
[/quote]

I sent my 35mm L in to Canon CPS  because it took a MA of +17 on my 1D MK III.  The technician added a note that the lens was installed on their reference 1D MK III and set for sharpest focus. 

I have found that the AFMA differs by body, so they did their best to zero it out for a 1D MK III.

It was back in less than a week, and much better at a AFMA of 0.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
Thank you all for your feedback!  Very much appreciated!

Cheers!

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »
Mike,
have you read this: http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-articles/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-myths/ ?

Yes, a few times.  It was very helpful to me as I started to learn about the vagaries and pitfalls of the Canon autofocus system.  It helped me understand why simply buying a more expensive camera did not improve the focus performance very much.

BTW, my 7D and 17-55 lens came back from Canon and I will be doing some focus tests tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

Mike
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:10:34 PM by drmikeinpdx »
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »